https://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/118639-indias_first_lunar_mission_blasts_off.html

Off topic: India's first lunar mission blasts off
Thread poster: Sanjay Ray
Sanjay Ray
Sanjay Ray  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 14:10
Member (2002)
English to Bengali
+ ...
Oct 22, 2008

We are very happy to inform all our collegues around the world that India has successfully launched today its first unmanned moon mission .

Chandrayaan-1 spacecraft built by the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) blasted off from a southern Indian space centre shortly after da
... See more
We are very happy to inform all our collegues around the world that India has successfully launched today its first unmanned moon mission .

Chandrayaan-1 spacecraft built by the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) blasted off from a southern Indian space centre shortly after dawn.
You can know more at

http://indmusings.blogspot.com/2008/10/chandrayaan-1-indias-first-mission-to.html

and

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7679818.stm

and

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/India_launches_first_moon_mission/articleshow/3625806.cms

=Ostom

[Edited at 2008-10-22 05:54]

[Edited at 2008-10-22 06:00]

[Edited at 2008-10-22 08:41]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:40
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good luck Chandrayaan! Oct 22, 2008

Greetings from Guadalajara in central Spain.

Sanjay Ray
India
Member (2002)
English to Bengali
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Meaning of Chandrayaan Oct 22, 2008

Chandrayaan
This is a Sanskrit word चंद्रयान.
It is a combination of 2 words.
Chandra means moon, Yaan- craft.
It means - Lunar Craft

In all other Indian languages the words means the same thing showing that Sanskrit is mother of all Indian languages.

Daniel Bird
Daniel Bird  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:40
German to English
Good effort Oct 22, 2008

Heard about the flight this morning. Good effort all round and certainly a tougher challenge than beating the Aussies at home. It prompted me to look up some half-remembered astronaut quotes:

Alan Shepard
It's a very sobering feeling to be up in space and realize that one's safety factor was determined by the lowest bidder on a government contract.

Jim Lovell
Be thankful for problems. If they
... See more
Heard about the flight this morning. Good effort all round and certainly a tougher challenge than beating the Aussies at home. It prompted me to look up some half-remembered astronaut quotes:

Alan Shepard
It's a very sobering feeling to be up in space and realize that one's safety factor was determined by the lowest bidder on a government contract.

Jim Lovell
Be thankful for problems. If they were less difficult, someone with less ability might have your job.

The first I can’t identify with having never flown in space, but I like the sentiment! The second I’ll claim for all translators (and engineers).
Collapse

Sundar Gopalakrishnan
Sundar Gopalakrishnan
India
English to Tamil
+ ...
Sanskrit is not the mother of all Indian languages! Oct 23, 2008

ostom wrote:

In all other Indian languages the words means the same thing showing that Sanskrit is mother of all Indian languages.

Absolutely nonsense and false. Sanskrit is not the mother of all Indian languages.

Please know your linguistics first, ostom.

"India is home to two major linguistic families: Indo-Aryan (spoken by about 74% of the population) and Dravidian (spoken by about 24%). Other languages spoken in India come from the Austro-Asiatic and Tibeto-Burman linguistic families." (wikipedia)

Sanskrit is mother to Indo-Aryan languages only, not to other Indian languages.

Tamil is a Dravidian language. Tamil words for moon and craft are நிலா (nilaa) and ஓடம் (oodam) respectively.

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
I'll never understand ... Oct 23, 2008

I understand that you are proud of your people, ostom, but I'll never understand why governments spend billions of dollars (or euros, for that matter) on useless space missions (for what?) instead of feeding their poor - and India certainly has more than enough poor people!

Best wishes,
LB

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
To be able to reach out and touch someone Oct 23, 2008

LittleBalu wrote:

l never understand why governments spend billions of dollars [...] on [...] space missions (for what?)[/quote]
Why do they do it?

Because nuclear warhead technology (check) plus space missile technology (check) = ICBM technology. Hooray!

B

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
With apologies to my compatriots Oct 23, 2008

I agree with LittleBalu. I would be much prouder of my country if poverty and illiteracy could be eradicated once and for all, something which seems much more difficult to achieve than a lunar space mission!

[Edited at 2008-10-23 10:01]

Sanjay Ray
India
Member (2002)
English to Bengali
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Space missions useless for India but useful for Others!! Oct 23, 2008

1. India is already getting a return on its space venture by launching satellites from other countries.

2. The Space sector in India is doing well.

3. It is creating jobs, inspiring a nation and pushing its young to pursue science and engineering which is needed for the development of the nation.

4. Things like this don't have a direct impact but they trickle down.

5. India can not wait till it gets rid of everything other than basic need
... See more
1. India is already getting a return on its space venture by launching satellites from other countries.

2. The Space sector in India is doing well.

3. It is creating jobs, inspiring a nation and pushing its young to pursue science and engineering which is needed for the development of the nation.

4. Things like this don't have a direct impact but they trickle down.

5. India can not wait till it gets rid of everything other than basic needs until there are no homeless, poor people.

6. India has been launching satellites for various countries for months now and generating huge revenues from it.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7199736.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7370391.stm

8. India spent only $80 million on this program. Compare that to the GDP of $5500000 million. It's insignificant. 1 Satellite alone launched from Italy generated $11 million.

7. U. R. Rao an eminent space scientist once mentioned that no other country outside the United States, Europe and Russia has achieved India's broad and deep ability to use space in civilian life. India offers a case study of how a developing country can exploit advanced technology to meet fundamental needs.
Collapse

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Well done! Oct 23, 2008

ostom wrote:
8. India spent only $80 million on this program. Compare that to the GDP of $5500000 million. It's insignificant. 1 Satellite alone launched from Italy generated $11 million.

Well done and defended. I do believe in science. Science costs money but many of the materials and technologies we use today for civilian purposes were developed by the military and by missions like this.

It's plain too easy to say that you cannot develop a space mission before every citizen has a home or a plate of food. Too simplistic. Pure science and projects like this must exist!

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
No, it's not too simplistic.... Oct 24, 2008

Tomás Cano Binder wrote:
It's plain too easy to say that you cannot develop a space mission before every citizen has a home or a plate of food. Too simplistic. Pure science and projects like this must exist!

....it's just a question of preferences and attitudes to life. I agree that science and technology are important, but would also like to see our government taking more interest in issues that affect us in our daily lives. I'm sure people in any country expect that of their governments.

Discussing politics is against the site rules, so I won't go further into this matter. Anyone interested in an alternative point of view will find numerous articles on the web by Indians who would not entirely agree with ostom. Writers such as Arundhati Roy, for example, present a more critical, and, in my view, realistic opinion on what's going on in this part of the world.

[Edited at 2008-10-24 07:30]

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Pure science is what brought us here Oct 24, 2008

Niraja Nanjundan wrote:
....it's just a question of preferences and attitudes to life.

I don't think so. All governments invest a lot of money in pure science. Think of the CERN for instance and today's LHC. Will LHC bring a plate of food to anyone in the world? It will certainly not now (apart from the builders, systems manufacturers and scientist involved in the project), but the knowledge achieved with this kind of investment will be useful in some way in the future.

India's investment in a space program with a negligible part of its GDP might not make sense now to you today, but the knowledge gathered with these experiences might well be the seed of an important aerospace and chemical industry in India. When that happens, I hope you agree with me. It might take some time though. Aerospace does feed people.

moken
moken  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
Can I query that figure? Oct 24, 2008

All other issues aside, $80 sounds like a very small figure.

Pallava Bagla reports that India's annual space budget amounts to "less than $1bn" - still nothing next to NASA's $17bn, but not a small sum.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7374714.stm

Considering that any space project is developed over a number of years, it's hard to understand how the
... See more
All other issues aside, $80 sounds like a very small figure.

Pallava Bagla reports that India's annual space budget amounts to "less than $1bn" - still nothing next to NASA's $17bn, but not a small sum.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7374714.stm

Considering that any space project is developed over a number of years, it's hard to understand how the figure of $80mio for a lunar mission is reached.

I can fully understand the urge to develop science but, from my point of view, our notion of progress and what we intend to achieve with it is deranged. Pure science is what brought us here, yes, but is this really the way to go or where we want to be...debatable.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

India's first lunar mission blasts off

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »