https://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/12089-whats_your_relationship_with_computers_and_technology_in_general_fear_friends.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: What's your relationship with computers and technology in general? Fear? Friends?
Thread poster: Valeria Verona
Valeria Verona
Valeria Verona  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 23:06
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 25, 2003

"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them."
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

What's your relationship with computers and technology in general? Do you fear them? Can you live without them? Are they your close friends or enemies?

I love my computer... although sometimes it's my worst nightmare and I want to smash it!
I'd love to hear your opinions.
Valeria...
See more
"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them."
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

What's your relationship with computers and technology in general? Do you fear them? Can you live without them? Are they your close friends or enemies?

I love my computer... although sometimes it's my worst nightmare and I want to smash it!
I'd love to hear your opinions.
Valeria

[Edited at 2003-06-25 02:33]
Collapse

Todd Field
Todd Field  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:06
Portuguese to English
Couldn't live without it... Jun 25, 2003

Why?

CAT - Allows easy project management, breaks stuff down into individual components (= less daunting), and saves some manual typing

EMAIL - Allows me to prioritize communication the way I choose, not in the order it comes in

WORD - Even checks my spelling for me!

INTERNET - Answers any imaginable question on Earth

PAGEMAKER, QUARK - Let me present things professionally when I need to

WEBEASY - Made a decent web sit
... See more
Why?

CAT - Allows easy project management, breaks stuff down into individual components (= less daunting), and saves some manual typing

EMAIL - Allows me to prioritize communication the way I choose, not in the order it comes in

WORD - Even checks my spelling for me!

INTERNET - Answers any imaginable question on Earth

PAGEMAKER, QUARK - Let me present things professionally when I need to

WEBEASY - Made a decent web site for me

etc. etc. etc...

I can't imagine how those monks did it back in the day. In short, I must say I am totally addicted to - and couldn't live without - our one and only "niña"!

Wouldn't dream of smashing her, even on a bad day...

) Todd

[Edited at 2003-06-25 05:08]
Collapse

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:36
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
It is the TINA factor Jun 25, 2003

There is no alternative (TINA), this from a 57 years young man, namely myself. Till February 2002, I did not have any computer and I have been a prctising translator from 1978 onwards. Translations were delivered as handwritten copies. Can you imagine? Yet I was in great demand among my clients. Now that the computer has entered my life, the demand has multiplied and what with the internet the place of residence is quite irrelevant and now I have got my wonderful fellow members of Proz.com with ... See more
There is no alternative (TINA), this from a 57 years young man, namely myself. Till February 2002, I did not have any computer and I have been a prctising translator from 1978 onwards. Translations were delivered as handwritten copies. Can you imagine? Yet I was in great demand among my clients. Now that the computer has entered my life, the demand has multiplied and what with the internet the place of residence is quite irrelevant and now I have got my wonderful fellow members of Proz.com with whom I am exchanging views.Collapse

Gabriele Zöttl
Gabriele Zöttl  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:06
English to German
+ ...
Close friend Jun 25, 2003

I don't know if I could live without my computer - haven't tried that for a long time. But I know for sure that I don't want to live without it - it's the one well-organised entity in my otherwise chaotic existence, the focal point of daily life. But it stands in front of a window opening on woods and sunshine - so I never forget that there are a lot of very important things that are far beyond the grasp of any computer...

Thomas Magnuson
Thomas Magnuson
Canada
Local time: 20:06
English to Japanese
+ ...
It's like a siamese twin...that hates me Jun 25, 2003

I definitely agree that it's something I couldn't live without. In fact, if it weren't for my computer I'd have to wake up early, shave, wear respectable clothing, and go to a building to translate instead of sitting unshaven in my underwear all day.

Still though, I swear my PC wants to kill me...I work in Japanese, so that means I use increadibly complex thingamabobbers to switch by keyboard back and forth between the two different sets of characters. That's fine, but when my PC
... See more
I definitely agree that it's something I couldn't live without. In fact, if it weren't for my computer I'd have to wake up early, shave, wear respectable clothing, and go to a building to translate instead of sitting unshaven in my underwear all day.

Still though, I swear my PC wants to kill me...I work in Japanese, so that means I use increadibly complex thingamabobbers to switch by keyboard back and forth between the two different sets of characters. That's fine, but when my PC is in a bad mood it likes to switch to one or the other while I'm not looking.

It does other things on its own, too...but I think if I write all that here it'll remember what I've said then do something naughty the next time I want to deliver a finished file...

Anyways, that was my neurotic two cents.
Collapse

Valeria Verona
Chile
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
love-hate Jun 25, 2003

Todd and Monica Field wrote:

I can\'t imagine how those monks did it back in the day. In short, I must say I am totally addicted to - and couldn\'t live without - our one and only \"niña\"!

Wouldn\'t dream of smashing her, even on a bad day...

) Todd

[Edited at 2003-06-25 05:08]

I\'m totally addicted too! But my relationship with the \"niña\" is more like a love-hate thing... Ha, ha, ha

Dyran Altenburg (X)
Dyran Altenburg (X)  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Plug me in Jun 25, 2003

In my case, it's more of a symbiotic experience. I love computers and have been using them since the early eighties.

Whats more, I'd probably be first in line when direct-to-neuron interfaces via brain port become available.

BTW, and sidetracking a bit, do you name your computers? My desktop is named Akira and my laptop, Spooky.

[Edited at 2003-06-25 19:57]

Valeria Verona
Chile
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no name Jun 26, 2003

Dyran Altenburg wrote:

BTW, and sidetracking a bit, do you name your computers? My desktop is named Akira and my laptop, Spooky.

[Edited at 2003-06-25 19:57]

No... I never thought of naming it! That\'s funny

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:06
English to French
What should I say... Jun 26, 2003

It has shared my bed longer then any girlfriend I ever had, and that's not a joke. I spend days and nights on it, no-end. When I learn something new about it, my eyes are beaming with joy and contentment. But I can turn into a raving lunatic if it gets sick (okay - Okay, I am not far anyway).

When I travel alone, I stay in cheap places, the cheaper the better, be it a dormitory with a tin roof. If my computer is with me, I will settle for no less then the better hotels in town.
... See more
It has shared my bed longer then any girlfriend I ever had, and that's not a joke. I spend days and nights on it, no-end. When I learn something new about it, my eyes are beaming with joy and contentment. But I can turn into a raving lunatic if it gets sick (okay - Okay, I am not far anyway).

When I travel alone, I stay in cheap places, the cheaper the better, be it a dormitory with a tin roof. If my computer is with me, I will settle for no less then the better hotels in town.

But my computer has also done quite few stuff for me too. If it wasn't for it, I would have to find another job (folks, you have never seen my hand writing). Because of Internet, I am free to work almost anywhere on the planet, and I can even waste my time reading garfield's archives online!

My relationship with my computer? What do you mean? What's your relationship to your left arm?
Collapse

Valeria Verona
Chile
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
LOL Jun 26, 2003

sylver wrote:

But my computer has also done quite few stuff for me too. If it wasn't for it, I would have to find another job (folks, you have never seen my hand writing). Because of Internet, I am free to work almost anywhere on the planet, and I can even waste my time reading garfield's archives online!

My relationship with my computer? What do you mean? What's your relationship to your left arm?

If I were your girlfriend... I'd be jealous!!!

BTW, my relationship with my left arm is just friendly

sylver
English to French
Quote Jun 26, 2003

Valeria Verona wrote:

If I were your girlfriend... I'd be jealous!!!

BTW, my relationship with my left arm is just friendly

Glad to hear that. I won't inquire about the rest. No worries

I don't have no girl friend currently, in fact. It's my computer, you know, she is so bloody jealous.

By the way, I have a quote you may wanna comment:

"Being a genious? Easy! The hard part is getting others to believe it."

True or not?

Cheers,
Sylvain

Valeria Verona
Chile
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
being a genius Jun 26, 2003

sylver wrote:

\"Being a genious? Easy! The hard part is getting others to believe it.\"

But I do believe you... don\'t tell me you\'re not! How disappointing...

uparis
uparis
Local time: 05:06
French to English
+ ...
Him, Her, It ? Jun 28, 2003

Reading diagonally through this forum, that was a first question.
All my computers have been "Hims", but I notice that there are "Hers" and "Its" out there...
Anyway, re feelings towards -
generally love fringing on passion, except for an old noisy ugly Gateway.
Have sworn to myself never to start a close relationship with an unattractive computer again.
Heide

Yamato (X)
Yamato (X)
Bulgaria
Local time: 06:06
Russian to Spanish
+ ...
Computer is... Jun 28, 2003

Well, I would like to join the club of those who say that their computer is a totally necessary tool.

The technical side is already well-explained, I would just like to add that so much information in oir life wouldn't be there, if it wasn't for the computer.

The other side is, I would never had had the chance to meet some of the most important people on my life, if it hadn't been for the internet. Of course, Prozers are included in that group.

I don't name
... See more
Well, I would like to join the club of those who say that their computer is a totally necessary tool.

The technical side is already well-explained, I would just like to add that so much information in oir life wouldn't be there, if it wasn't for the computer.

The other side is, I would never had had the chance to meet some of the most important people on my life, if it hadn't been for the internet. Of course, Prozers are included in that group.

I don't name my computer... I call it names from time to time, but that's all.
And my friends are not jealous of my computer, I always prefer them! xD

But I understand what is meant with the remark "My computer has been with me longer than any g-friend" xD it's sooooo common... (I think)
Collapse

sylver
English to French
Boy... Jun 28, 2003

Valeria Verona wrote:

sylver wrote:

"Being a genious? Easy! The hard part is getting others to believe it."

But I do believe you... don't tell me you're not! How disappointing...

Am I good!!!

My modesty will suffer -no worries, she is used to it- but I can't disappoint a lady.

Cheers,
Sylvain

[Edited at 2003-06-28 08:10]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What's your relationship with computers and technology in general? Fear? Friends?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »