Off topic: Home swapping
Thread poster: Hilary Bruce

Hilary Bruce  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:25
Italian to English
+ ...
Nov 18, 2008

I'm considering trying home swapping instead of renting accommodation for holidays and trips back home to the UK. However there seems to be a fair choice of associations and I'm looking for recommendations/advice from others who may have tried the experience themselves or may know people who have done so. I thought that as Proz is such an international community it is likely that some fellow Prozians might well be home swappers. Please share your experiences here.

Direct link Reply with quote

Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:25
English to Turkish
Hmm... North Sea is great in summer, Nov 18, 2008

...and there's nothing like a tantalizing sun. Would you swap with me?

Hilary, I remember seeing a couple of ads for home swapping in the Exchange section. Take a look!

Good luck

Saskia Steur  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
Homelink Nov 18, 2008

Hi there,
We are a family of five, 2 adults and 3 children aged 8, 9 and 12 and we have been doing home exchanges for the holidays for 7 years, predominantly through Homelink. www.homelink.org Some other organisations may be more useful to you, depending on the country of destination.

Best regards,
Saskia

Jan Willem van Dormolen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Intervac Nov 18, 2008

My family has done house swapping a couple of times through an organization called Intervac (www.intervac.com). We were satisfied with it, but never tried another one, so we don't know what we might have missed out on

Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
German to English
Homeexchange Nov 19, 2008

I used homeexchange.com last year. My entry has now lapsed and I am not sure whether to renew for next year but it was a great experience.
Gillian

Hilary Bruce  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your replies Dec 2, 2008

I am trying to decide between Homelink and Intervac, but I think Intervac may be more commonly used in the UK so I will probably try with them. When I've done my first exchange I'll update this thread with details of my own experience. Thanks to everyone who replied, your help was appreciated.
To Ozden, thanks for your offer. If I ever fancy a quick break in your area I'll be in touch

Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
You're most welcome. Dec 2, 2008

Seriously. Anytime!

Hilary Bruce wrote:
To Ozden, thanks for your offer. If I ever fancy a quick break in your area I'll be in touch

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Home swapping

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search