Off topic: Basketball sportscasters - technical jargon or poetry from outer space?
Thread poster: Nicole Schnell

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:35
English to German
+ ...
Nov 29, 2008

Watching a lot of basketball on TV made me ponder:

- Are sportscasters from planet Earth?

- If so, where did they learn this jargon? Are there particular sportscaster-schools operated by aliens?

Examples

"The ball kissed the rim"

"After catching his breath, he showed a really nice breast"

"He proved that he can't swim"

"He outquicked him"

It's only halftime...

Direct link Reply with quote

United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Third quarter Nov 29, 2008

"You're on the outline - normally you give birth when this happens."

Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:35
German to English
+ ...
"The problem at Wimbledon seems to be that the club has suffered a loss of complacency" Nov 29, 2008

In the U.K. you only need to listen to e.g. excited soccer commentators for about 10 minutes (my usual burnout time) to hear some classics like "Well as we stand here in this brightly lit, simmering and fully-packed stadium today there seems to be little doubt that one team is going to win" (that was said before the match had started).

U.K. satirical magazine Private Eye used to run a weekly piece on sporting gaffes entitled "Colemannballs", named in honour of a football commentator who was a master of the art. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colemanballs

Enjoy some here: http://www.footballsite.co.uk/Statistics/Articles/Colemanballs/Colemanballs01.htm

Cricket, on the other hand, is a completely diferent ball game where the commentary generally sounds ponderously well-considered. It quotes encylopaedic reference material that is reminiscent of judicial precedent being quoted in court and is alarmingly soporic.

More fun here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/sport/bestcommentary/

See you in the bar when the match is over.

Cheers
Chris

United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The carrot at the end of the tunnel... Nov 30, 2008

Chris,

The Colemanballs are the best read ever - we were rolling on the floor!

I am still giggling...

Here is another gem that I read in the Parade magazine:

"I often think the only requirement for a Super Bowl press credential is a driver’s license. You see reporters who don’t speak English, reporters from country music stations, Comedy Central. I once stood by MTV’s “Downtown” Julie Brown as she asked a player how tight his pants were.

Stupid questions have a storied history at the Super Bowl. Someone once asked Tennessee lineman Joe Salave’a, “What’s your relationship with the football?” His response: “Strictly platonic.”

http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache:hAWgpREyHboJ:www.parade.com/articles/editions/2008/edition_02-03-2008/1Super_Bowl%20relationship%20ball%20platonic%20parade.com&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

Greetings!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Basketball sportscasters - technical jargon or poetry from outer space?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search