Thread poster: Penelope Ausejo

Penelope Ausejo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 23, 2009

Good morning,

I have a questions for the UK people here.

My friend did an internship about 25 years ago in the UK. Since then, he kept a penpal relationship with his boss and they saw each other a few times (not many). However, they write to each other a couple of times a year. Today, he has received a letter (not personalized, addressed to everybody) informing that his wife has passed away after a long illness. The letter informs about the funeral and the following reception.

I have 2 questions:

1.- What does the UK etiquette in these cases say? What should he do in order to be polite and nice to his friend? Send a telegram? Send a letter? Other?

2.- The letter includes this sentence "Family flowers only, please". Does this mean that they only want their family to send flowers? Could someone please confirm it?

Thank you very much in advance! (it is quite urgent!)

To the site staff: couldn't we have a forum for etiquette, habits and the like in each country?

[Edited at 2009-01-23 12:20 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Lenah Susianty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:10
Member (2004)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
a card would be sufficient Jan 23, 2009

In my opinion , a card of sympathy will be sufficient. What counts it's the thought . I think his boss would be pleased to receive a card from him.

Sarah Wood  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
I agree Jan 23, 2009

Hello,

I agree, a card would be respectful and appropriate. 'Family flowers only' means that only family members should send flowers to the funeral.

I think your friend is very thoughtful to ask the question first.

regards,
Sarah

Penelope Ausejo  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 23, 2009

Thanks for your answers.

Here, in these cases we would send a telegram. At least that was what my mom showed me to do, when someone from another city passed away and I wasn't going to the funeral or memorial services.

Dana Rinaldi
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
a card Jan 23, 2009

In fact in Italy too we send telegrams.

My mother was irish and she had relatives in Ireland and in the UK. When she passed away the irish and many american relatives sent mass cards (you have a mass said for the person and then send a card with the date of the mass and so on). Instead the english friends and relatives sent cards of sympathy.

In Italy one expects to receive a telegram. It's custom here.

Dana

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
cards mass cards telegrams flowers Jan 23, 2009

In Spain it's next to impossible to get sympathy cards or mass cards, in my experience.

A telegram seems like it might be a suitable alternative.

I would interpret "family flowers" as flowers only from family.

Oops, forgot to mention I'm Irish, not from the UK. Mass cards probably wouldn't be so typical in the UK but sympathy cards yes.

[Edited at 2009-01-23 15:38 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-01-23 15:39 GMT]

Jenny Forbes  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Send a letter of condolence Jan 23, 2009

I think the right thing would be for your friend to send a handwritten letter by post to the gentleman expressing condolences and/or sympathy on his loss. If your friend knew the gentleman's late wife, it would be good to say something appreciative about her. If not, just sympathy for his bereavement.
Kind regards,
Jenny

xxxKhrystene
Australia
Polish to English
+ ...
Indeed... Jan 23, 2009

Yes, they should send a card of sympathy to him. I personally believe simple is always best.

Also, the 'family flowers' means, as someone else pointed out, that the family should only send flowers, not other friends, acquaintences, etc.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Etiquette in the UK - death of a business friend

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search