Off topic: Public transport in Venice
Thread poster: Kristine Sprula (Lielause)

Kristine Sprula (Lielause)  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 20:57
English to Latvian
+ ...
Mar 5, 2009

Dear colleagues, especially Venetians,
I am planning a trip to your wonderful city. We will be staying there for 3 days and I want to book online the 72H Public Transport Ticket. There is said, that "This ticket can be used on the boat network and on Mestre and Lido buses". Does this mean that we can use these tickets in all vaporetto routes? Can we use the same ticket to get to the airport?

Thank you!

Direct link Reply with quote

Carla Catolino
Italy
Local time: 19:57
Member (2008)
Italian to English
+ ...
Venezia Mar 5, 2009

Hello,

I know that those tickets can be used in Mestre, Marghera and all Vaporetto routes. I am not sure if it works from and to the airport.

Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:57
German to English
Serenissima Mar 5, 2009

The NY Times has published a few articles recently on Venice:
The first is about traveling with a baby, but there are some good tips about saving money:
http://tinyurl.com/b4vsea
http://tinyurl.com/aukagc

Enjoy your stay!

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:57
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In any case, count on their humor and accomodating nature Mar 5, 2009

It's been many years since I was in Venice, but my home town, Sao Paulo, Brazil, has a lot of the Italian spirit, so I'm used to it.

We drove there from Rome with a Swiss rental car; stayed in a hotel at Lido. By that time my high-school Italian was as fluent as it gets, though with a Genovese accent any Italian-speaking Brazilian will have. Of course, you can't drive a car into Venice, so we took a bus from the hotel and the vaporetto. Upon returning to Lido, I asked which bus would take us to our hotel there. They told me to take the "B", and we bought the tickets. However it departed in the other direction and, upon arrival at the middle of some deserted nowhere, the driver told us to step out, as it was the end of the line. I explained him the situation, and he told me we needed return trip tickets. All right, so where can I buy them? Certainly not there, as there was nobody in sight. So he agreed to take us back, to talk to his supervisor.

He explained the situation to the supervisor: "Il signore è straniero, ed un equino gli ha datto un'informazione sbagliata. ..." ("The gentleman is a foreigner, and some equine (sic!) gave him wrong information. ...") The super took our tickets, scribbled something on them, and told us to use them on that "B" bus, not this one.

Then we went to a restaurant in Lido. I parked the car in front of it, and noticed it was a controlled parking zone. I should leave the "disco orario" for 2 hours. As the car was Swiss, its "disco orario" had 30 minutes on one side, and 3 hours on the other. So I went into the restaurant for ideas. The man behind the cash register heard my case, tore a piece of wrapping paper, looked at his watch, scribbled the time there, and handed it to me. Then he said: First, find a parking space and put the car there. Then, leave this paper on the dashboard. You won't have any trouble."

So, if the information you have fails, you can count on the Italians' accomodating nature.

Sandra Bertolini  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:57
German to Italian
+ ...
Info Mar 5, 2009

Dear Kristine,

in this link you find all the relevant information regarding the tickets and also the map with the routes of vaporetto in Venice.

http://www.venicewelcome.com/actv/vaporetto.htm

And as you can read it in the 72-Hour-ticket the Alilaguna service from the airport is not included.

Here the simple map to understand where the airport is located and what kind of service you need to catch to reach Venice.

http://www.veniceapartment.com/it/how.htm

I hope you'll enjoy your trip!

Sandra

Evija Rimšāne  Identity Verified
Latvia
English to Latvian
Sure Mar 6, 2009

Does this mean that we can use these tickets in all vaporetto routes?

Absolutely!

P.S. In case nothing has changed in a year or so...

Kristine Sprula (Lielause)  Identity Verified
Latvia
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just about ten more days.... Mar 11, 2009

Thank you all for sharing the information and experience. I just can't wait to be in Italy again!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Public transport in Venice

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search