https://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/129293-ever_spilled_something_on_your_laptop_youre_not_gonna_believe_this.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: Ever spilled something on your laptop? You're not gonna believe this!
Thread poster: Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:42
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Mar 5, 2009

This is a true story told to me by a friend.

Her friend was going on a business trip and had taken her laptop along. She was on line at the airport, balancing her open laptop on one hand while holding a soft drink in the other. Sure enough, some guy bumped into her and the soda went all over her keyboard.

She was about to get on the plane, so there was nothing she could do about it. She was really upset (of course!), and especially because the laptop would be crucial f
... See more
This is a true story told to me by a friend.

Her friend was going on a business trip and had taken her laptop along. She was on line at the airport, balancing her open laptop on one hand while holding a soft drink in the other. Sure enough, some guy bumped into her and the soda went all over her keyboard.

She was about to get on the plane, so there was nothing she could do about it. She was really upset (of course!), and especially because the laptop would be crucial for her meetings at her business destination.

When she arrived, she ran straight to a techie shop with her laptop. The techie took one look at it and said there was nothing he could do -- it was hopeless.

She went to her hotel, praying for a solution that seemed impossible. Finally, she just set the laptop down on a table, didn't even bother to close it, and went to bed.

The next morning she woke up and saw that there were hundreds of ants on the table around her laptop. She rushed over to take a look and discovered that they had eaten every bit of sugar goo and that her keyboard was working just fine!

God bless those industrious little creatures....
Collapse

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 09:42
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Beuatiful story! Mar 5, 2009

Thanks for telling it! It proves that nothing is ever hopeless, only difficult!
Last summer I lost my Nokia cell phone TWICE into lake water.
No ants could help but swift drying, including 5 minutes in
the oven and 15 on th radiator was the thing to get it workin again.
So: Never give up! Try eveything!

Best

Mats.

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
I keep on telling my partner he should get a Nokia! Mar 5, 2009

Mats Wiman wrote:

Last summer I lost my Nokia cell phone TWICE into lake water.
No ants could help but swift drying, including 5 minutes in
the oven and 15 on th radiator was the thing to get it workin again.

He left his Motorola (or was it a Sony Ericson?) out under the garden sprinklers all night - a terminal case, unfortunately.

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mobile dropped in well Mar 5, 2009

When my husband's mobile stopped working after he'd fished it back out of a well, the shop recommended drying it as much as possible and then stuffing it into an airtight jar of rice (uncooked of course). In our case we didn't have to put this to the test because, wonder of wonders, the phone recovered of its own accord. Has anyone actually tried this I wonder.

Wish I'd known about the ant technique when I poured coffee into my laptop and wrote it off. I remember that I had added up
... See more
When my husband's mobile stopped working after he'd fished it back out of a well, the shop recommended drying it as much as possible and then stuffing it into an airtight jar of rice (uncooked of course). In our case we didn't have to put this to the test because, wonder of wonders, the phone recovered of its own accord. Has anyone actually tried this I wonder.

Wish I'd known about the ant technique when I poured coffee into my laptop and wrote it off. I remember that I had added up the pittance I was going to get for maternity benefit and invested in the laptop, only to see all the money down the drain. Since then, apart from learning not to have liquids around a laptop under any circumstances, I have also found out about appropriate insurance policies.

And finally, hands up all of you who have, or know someone who has, dropped a mobile down the loo...
Collapse

sarandor
sarandor  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:42
English to Russian
+ ...
That woman is not squeamish Mar 5, 2009

if she ran over to look. I would've just screamed on the top of my lungs and ran out of the hotel room if I were in the same situation

Evangelia Mouma
Evangelia Mouma  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 08:42
English to Greek
+ ...
Unbelievable! Mar 5, 2009

Thanks for the story, Amy!

Help comes from the most unexpected places.

My daughter asks what the name of the hotel is so as not to stay there since there are ants! She also says that we should profit from that and start an "Ants-Solve-Your-Computer-Problems" business.

I do not understand young people!

Lilia

Amy Duncan (X)
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ants to the rescue! Mar 5, 2009

Evangelia Mouma wrote:

Thanks for the story, Amy!

Help comes from the most unexpected places.

My daughter asks what the name of the hotel is so as not to stay there since there are ants! She also says that we should profit from that and start an "Ants-Solve-Your-Computer-Problems" business.

I do not understand young people!

Lilia

Sorry, don't know the name of the hotel...

I like your daughter's idea to start an ant techie shop! Here in Rio we have tons of tiny little ants who love sugary substances and who would probably be keen to start up such a business!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ant relocation? Mar 5, 2009

So, since the honourable business of eating other people's enemies in the desert or the rainforest is sort of low these days, ants have relocated and now offer IT maintenance services in hotels. That's what I call survival of the fittest!

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:42
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
A.N.T.S. Mar 5, 2009

Advanced Natural Technical Support

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:42
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Urban legend? Mar 5, 2009

I don't believe that a laptop stops working when you spill coke on the keyboard. It must happen every day to about thousand people around the world that they spill coffee on their laptops or keyboards. These devices are rather sturdy, have to be.
Regards
Heinrich

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
If you need your laptop.... Mar 5, 2009

...just don't drink Coke!

Amy Duncan (X)
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great, Riccardo!! Mar 5, 2009

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:

Advanced Natural Technical Support

Amy Duncan (X)
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oops! Mar 5, 2009

I just spoke with the friend who shared this story with me, and she said it wasn't a hotel...the woman had gone back home and the ants were in her house...I got it wrong. Soooo....don't worry about having ants in your hotel! Sorry about that.

Amy Duncan (X)
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Check Google for laptop forums Mar 5, 2009

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

I don't believe that a laptop stops working when you spill coke on the keyboard. It must happen every day to about thousand people around the world that they spill coffee on their laptops or keyboards. These devices are rather sturdy, have to be.
Regards
Heinrich

I wish you were right, but sugary, sticky drinks definitely mess up laptops. I found this out when Googling about how to clean a laptop keyboard.

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:42
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I wish I knew this before (airtight jar of rice) Mar 5, 2009

I gave my son's phone a bath last year and it got clean, I mean very clean (he left it in his jeans and I did not check the pockets before throwing them in the washing machine...)

The problem was that the bath costed me a lot and my son has now a better cell phone than I have. Wish I knew about the airtight jar of rice technique, it would have saved me some $300...

Hey, it's never late for learning, and I k
... See more
I gave my son's phone a bath last year and it got clean, I mean very clean (he left it in his jeans and I did not check the pockets before throwing them in the washing machine...)

The problem was that the bath costed me a lot and my son has now a better cell phone than I have. Wish I knew about the airtight jar of rice technique, it would have saved me some $300...

Hey, it's never late for learning, and I know now what to do in case I hear someone else decides to give their phone a good bath.

Have a great day, friendZ and thanks for sharing these tips.

Monika

aceavila - Noni wrote:

Wish I'd known about the ant technique when I poured coffee into my laptop and wrote it off. I remember that I had added up the pittance I was going to get for maternity benefit and invested in the laptop, only to see all the money down the drain. Since then, apart from learning not to have liquids around a laptop under any circumstances, I have also found out about appropriate insurance policies.

And finally, hands up all of you who have, or know someone who has, dropped a mobile down the loo...

[Edited at 2009-03-05 17:05 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ever spilled something on your laptop? You're not gonna believe this!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »