Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 18:49
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
US-American History Apr 17, 2009

This application finds all kind of stuff about US history that does not interest me in the least. Our history starts with the ancient Greeks and Romans. Show me the European version, thanks!

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:49
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
29th July Apr 17, 2009

As a boy during the Second World War, I discovered that my birthday was the same as Mussolini's and my father was born in the same year as Hitler.
The birthday of a friend of mine is 7th December (the attack on Pearl Harbor, 1941), so he refers to it in President Roosevelt's words as "a date that will go down in infamy in the annals of mankind".

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:49
French to Spanish
+ ...
Not too good for me: Apr 17, 2009

19th Septembre 1985 Mexico Earthquake Devastates Mexico City

19th September 1985 : A major earthquake measuring 7.8 on the Richter scale devastated Mexico City leveling cathedrals, schools, apartment buildings, hospitals and numerous other buildings, large areas of the capital were left burning and the death toll is expected to reach nearly 5,000 as rescuers dig through the rubble.

Believe me, very bad experience... everything shaking for a looong time... a lot of dead
... See more
19th Septembre 1985 Mexico Earthquake Devastates Mexico City

19th September 1985 : A major earthquake measuring 7.8 on the Richter scale devastated Mexico City leveling cathedrals, schools, apartment buildings, hospitals and numerous other buildings, large areas of the capital were left burning and the death toll is expected to reach nearly 5,000 as rescuers dig through the rubble.

Believe me, very bad experience... everything shaking for a looong time... a lot of dead people, a lot of damages.

So, I don't celebrate my birthday that day.

In the other hand, a great mexican actor was born, Tin Tan:

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin_Tan, one of my favorite's.
Collapse

Yolanda Bello Olvera
Yolanda Bello Olvera  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
March 28 - pretty eventful :-) Apr 17, 2009

1979 U.S.A. Three Mile Island Nuclear Generating Station

1942 Malta George Cross Medal for Bravery

2006 France Contrat Première Embauche

1908 Canada Mining Accident

28th March, 1920: Tornadoes swept through the mid-western and southern portions of the United States , killing more than 200 people and injuring more than a 1,000.

28th March, 1930 : Two of Turkey's largest cities change their names ( Constantinople and Angora ).... See more
1979 U.S.A. Three Mile Island Nuclear Generating Station

1942 Malta George Cross Medal for Bravery

2006 France Contrat Première Embauche

1908 Canada Mining Accident

28th March, 1920: Tornadoes swept through the mid-western and southern portions of the United States , killing more than 200 people and injuring more than a 1,000.

28th March, 1930 : Two of Turkey's largest cities change their names ( Constantinople and Angora ).
The City of Constantinople is changed to Istanbul
The City of Angora is changed to Ankara

1933 U.S.A. Wet and Dry Rally

28th March, : A wet and dry rally and parade took place. Both supporters of alcohol and supporters of dry laws attended this event, which occurred in Oklahoma.

1939 Spain Spanish Civil War

28th March, 1939: Madrid, Spain is now in the hands of Nationalist General Francisco Franco and the Spanish civil war ends.

1940 Great Britain

28th March, 1940: France and Britain were beginning to think about expanding their support.

1991 England Hillsborough Disaster

28th March, 1991: An inquest held over the deaths of 95 fans killed during during the Hillsborough disaster at Sheffield Wednesday's football stadium has returned a verdict of accidental death .

1964 U.S.A. The Beatles

28th March, 1964: The Beatles have 10 hits on Billboard's Hot 100 at the same time surpassing the previous best by Elvis Presley.

Nice one, Juan Jacob (or may be not, but it was a very amusing post).

[Edited at 2009-04-17 21:46 GMT]
Collapse

Yolanda Bello Olvera
Yolanda Bello Olvera  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
Congratulations, Alla! Apr 17, 2009

I hope you're having a nice day

Regards

Y

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:49
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
November 20. Apr 17, 2009

1910: Mexican Revolution

1975: Spain's Francisco Franco dies.

2008: I celebrate one more year on Earth.

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:49
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Me, too....almost Apr 18, 2009

Jack Doughty wrote:

The birthday of a friend of mine is 7th December (the attack on Pearl Harbor, 1941), so he refers to it in President Roosevelt's words as "a date that will go down in infamy in the annals of mankind".

I was born on December 5, 1941. When I punched this date into that website absolutely nothing came up. Well, at least I can say I was born two days before the attack on Pearl Harbor!

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:49
English to French
+ ...
Nothing but disaster Apr 18, 2009

Cannibalism, war, people losing their jobs... it seems my birthday is systematically used to make someone somewhere unhappy. Last year, on my birthday:
13th October, 2008 : After suffering a meltdown in the markets in the preceeding weeks with the Dow Jones Industrial Average falling below 7900 markets rally with a gain of 936 points, its highest ever one day gain.

Why didn't anybody think of offering me shares for my birthday??!

Edit: Amy, try entering your birthday without the year. It worked for me! Five airplanes disappeared in the Bermuda triangle on your fourth birthday...

[Edited at 2009-04-18 03:54 GMT]

jacana54 (X)
jacana54 (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Great idea, Gianni Apr 18, 2009

I'm going to be selective here, and will only mention a few good things:

February 2nd

1536: Buenos Aires founded by don Pedro de Mendoza

1922: James Joyce's Ulysses published

1971: Convention on Wetlands signed in Ramsar, Iran

Have a good weekend!

Lucía

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:49
Portuguese to English
+ ...
5 December 1941 Apr 19, 2009

In reply to Amy's post, I found that 5 December 1941 marked the end of the Battle of Moscow, Hitler's first defeat.

See https://www.collectrussia.com/DISPITEM.HTM?ITEM=10053 for further information.

I also found the following (preparation for Pearl Harbour):

Lexington: On 5 December 1941, TF-12, formed around Lexington, under the command of Rear
... See more
In reply to Amy's post, I found that 5 December 1941 marked the end of the Battle of Moscow, Hitler's first defeat.

See https://www.collectrussia.com/DISPITEM.HTM?ITEM=10053 for further information.

I also found the following (preparation for Pearl Harbour):

Lexington: On 5 December 1941, TF-12, formed around Lexington, under the command of Rear Admiral John H. Newton, sailed from Pearl to ferry 18 Vought SB2U-3 Vindicators of Marine Scout Bombing Squadron 231 to Midway Island. Dawn on 7 December 1941 found Lexington, heavy cruisers Chicago (CA-29), Portland (CA-33), and Astoria (CA-34), and five destroyers about 500 miles southeast of Midway. The outbreak of hostilities resulted in cancellation of the mission and VMSB-231 was retained on board [they would ultimately fly to Midway from Hickam Field on 21 December].

In addition, the Japanese destroyer Yugumo was commissioned. For further information, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_destroyer_Yugumo
Collapse

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 17:49
Member (2007)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
You can do that yourself, can't you? Apr 19, 2009

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

This application finds all kind of stuff about US history that does not interest me in the least. Our history starts with the ancient Greeks and Romans. Show me the European version, thanks!

Just google a bit and see if you can find a similar one that satisfy your needs. Then you can post the result here if you want
Regards
Gianni

Lorenzo Lilli
Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:49
German to Italian
+ ...
Wikipedia Apr 19, 2009

Gianni Pastore wrote:

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Just google a bit and see if you can find a similar one that satisfy your needs. Then you can post the result here if you want
Regards
Gianni

Yes, you can simply search wikipedia. See for example 30th July http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/July_30 (my birthday of course ). Among many other events, Football World Cup finals were held in 1930 and 1966, Baghdad was founded in 762 and Vanuatu gained independence in 1980.

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
For anyone who may be interested Apr 19, 2009

Please email me if you want to know what happened on my birthday.

Kind regards
Bin Tiede

[Edited at 2009-04-19 17:07 GMT]

Kathryn Sanderson
Kathryn Sanderson  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
December 7, 1941 Apr 24, 2009

Jack Doughty wrote:

As a boy during the Second World War, I discovered that my birthday was the same as Mussolini's and my father was born in the same year as Hitler.

Roosevelt's words were: "December 7th, 1941--a date which will live in infamy."

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/ammem/today/dec07.html

[Edited at 2009-04-24 12:53 GMT]

Kathryn Sanderson
Kathryn Sanderson  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
People who share my birthday, April 28 Apr 24, 2009

James Monroe (5th US president)
Oskar Schindler
Saddam Hussein

The mutiny on the Bounty also happened on April 28.

With 365.25 days in a year and untold billions of people born, you gotta share a birthday with someone!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Your birthday in history

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »