https://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/13336-power_outage_in_the_states_and_in_canada.html

Off topic: Power Outage in the States and in Canada
Thread poster: Brigith Guimarães
Brigith Guimarães
Brigith Guimarães  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:20
Member (2003)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Aug 14, 2003

Just saw CNN Break News about the power outage in the States and in some cities of Canada.
For some of our colleagues living in all these cities - I hope you + families + friends are alright and that life returns to normal very soon.
Brigith

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:20
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Likely a natural occurrence... Aug 14, 2003

I have copied here the latest news from CNN:

Cities affected include New York; Cleveland, Ohio; Detroit, Michigan; Toronto and Ottawa, Canada. The power outage occurred shortly after 4 p.m. Officials said the outage does not appear to be related to terrorism.

By 6 p.m. the power was being restored in parts of the affected area, starting with the northern and western edges,

A spokesman for the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission said the agency has been t
... See more
I have copied here the latest news from CNN:

Cities affected include New York; Cleveland, Ohio; Detroit, Michigan; Toronto and Ottawa, Canada. The power outage occurred shortly after 4 p.m. Officials said the outage does not appear to be related to terrorism.

By 6 p.m. the power was being restored in parts of the affected area, starting with the northern and western edges,

A spokesman for the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission said the agency has been told by the North American Electric Reliability Council that the power outage has been "contained."

All three New York area airports were fully operational after a temporary shutdown, according to the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.

State officials said the outage was likely a natural occurrence. They said the Niagara-Mohawk power grid, which provides power for New York and stretches into Canada, became overloaded.

The last big blackout in the United States took place almost exactly seven years ago, August 11, 1996, when some 4 million customers in nine Western states and parts of Mexico lost power for as long as 10 hours.

For more info, see http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/08/14/power.outage/index.html
Collapse

Brigith Guimarães
Portugal
Member (2003)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you, Monika Aug 15, 2003

I've seen the news at CNN a while ago and it seems in some parts things are slowly getting to normal. It's 8h30 am, still dawn
in USA /Canada - only expect that everything will be fine during the day and that it was nothing but an occurrence.

Borana Moisiu
Borana Moisiu
Albania
Local time: 04:20
English to Albanian
+ ...
Another way of living Aug 15, 2003

Not so different from my country (Albania). We get power outage all the time, winter or summer. We just learned how to live with it (lots of supplies with candles, flash lights, gas-powered stoves, blankets for winter, lots of gallons of water at home etc).
Instead of complaining now, we are grateful when the power is ON. It is funny, when my relatives who live outside of Albania call us, they ask: "Keni drita?" (Do you have power?)...
See more
Not so different from my country (Albania). We get power outage all the time, winter or summer. We just learned how to live with it (lots of supplies with candles, flash lights, gas-powered stoves, blankets for winter, lots of gallons of water at home etc).
Instead of complaining now, we are grateful when the power is ON. It is funny, when my relatives who live outside of Albania call us, they ask: "Keni drita?" (Do you have power?)
Just another way of living there...
p.s. I really like Proz. Thank you for this great webpage, very helpful and interesting. I am happy to be a member of it.
Borana

brigith wrote:

Just saw CNN Break News about the power outage in the States and in some cities of Canada.
For some of our colleagues living in all these cities - I hope you + families + friends are alright and that life returns to normal very soon.
Brigith
Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 22:20
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Agree Borana Aug 16, 2003

It's just another way of living.
I used to live in the Dominican Republic and Power outages happen every day, you never know whether they're going to last two or twelve hours...

After a cyclone we had 20 days without electricity. It was really, really hard.

Michael Bastin
Michael Bastin  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:20
English to French
+ ...
interesting to see that Aug 16, 2003

I live in the Dominican Republic and the comments from the radios were sometimes funny like "They are not used to those things over there"...

For a change, Dominicans felt they were not the only ones having outages, but the main difference between here and there is that people usually use generators in case of outages. I don't think many people in the US would have thought this could happen.

Anyways, let's hope the situation gets back to normal asap.

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:50
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Who is John Galt? Aug 16, 2003

Remember Ayn Rand and her book "Atlas shrugged"? The book created a lot of stir when it appeared in the sixties. It was a scare scenario of the authoress when in the name of public ownership, private initiative was given the go-by and the novel ends in a catastrophe when all the persons with initiative withdraw their cooperation. The favorite question raised repeatedly in the novel was: Who is John Galt? He was the hero of the book and he takes with him all those with initiative, leading to life... See more
Remember Ayn Rand and her book "Atlas shrugged"? The book created a lot of stir when it appeared in the sixties. It was a scare scenario of the authoress when in the name of public ownership, private initiative was given the go-by and the novel ends in a catastrophe when all the persons with initiative withdraw their cooperation. The favorite question raised repeatedly in the novel was: Who is John Galt? He was the hero of the book and he takes with him all those with initiative, leading to life grinding to a halt. The last scene was the power blackout in all the American cities. At the time of the New York power breakdown in the sixties, the authoress got many frantic phone calls from people asking her whether John Galt had struck.Collapse

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 22:20
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Generators Aug 16, 2003

Some of us are back on (obviously )

As for generators, during the ice storm of 1998 there was a huge run on these items in Eastern Canada. When the current outage struck I was immediately reminded of that terrible time -- 14 days and nights without power, during the darkest period of the year (Jan 5 - 19).

At least, this time, it's not the dead of winter. We've had our power off and on since 4:15 Thursday
... See more
Some of us are back on (obviously )

As for generators, during the ice storm of 1998 there was a huge run on these items in Eastern Canada. When the current outage struck I was immediately reminded of that terrible time -- 14 days and nights without power, during the darkest period of the year (Jan 5 - 19).

At least, this time, it's not the dead of winter. We've had our power off and on since 4:15 Thursday but it's much easier, IMO, to handle it in August than January.

All the best!
Nancy
Collapse

Brigith Guimarães
Portugal
Member (2003)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yep, you're right... Aug 16, 2003

Michael Bastin wrote:

I live in the Dominican Republic and the comments from the radios were sometimes funny like "They are not used to those things over there"....

That's what Cubans do... My husband is portuguese but has been living/working in Cuba for the past 7 years as GM of a Portuguese group. Apagons ... are everyday's life. Best thing to have in the fridge: beverages! Food might get easily and promptly spoiled if the apagon lasts longer...

Yep, Americans are too sophisticated in this
sort of thing.

Brigith - Portugal

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Power Outage in the States and in Canada

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »