Manuela Junghans  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:43
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Apr 30, 2009

Hi everyone

I´ve been trying to call National Rail Enquiries for a couple of days now - to no avail - they are always toooo busy (day and night???)

Is there any rail traveller in the UK out there who could possibly answer the following question for me:

The price I get when enquiring ticket prices online, is it the same I would be paying if I bought the ticket on the day of travel at the respective train station?

I´m currently abroad and would like to book a flight back to the UK. However, since the destination wouldn´t be my actual home town I would need to get an answer to the above question, in order to establish whether it´s worth taking a cheaper flight to Liverpool and then take the train up to Scotland or whether it´s not worth it, because a train ticket bought on the day of travel would be more expensive than taking a direct flight?

I´d very much appreciate if someone out there could shed some light on this for me.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Manuela

Sarah Wood  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
Can be A LOT more expensive! Apr 30, 2009

Hello there,

when you enquire online the cheapest prices you are given are usually advance fares, which are available if you book in advance, and if there are seats available (the cheap fares are usually limited to a certain number).

The 'on-the-day' price can be a lot higher - unbelievably so in some cases. I'd definitely advise calling them and checking the price you'd pay on the day versus the advance fare. Bearing in mind also that advance fares are usually non-transferable and non-refundable - so if you miss it or want to change it you may end up paying the higher fare on the day anyway.

Hope that helps!

Sarah

[Edited at 2009-04-30 11:24 GMT]

Word_Wise  Identity Verified
English to Romanian
+ ...
trains Apr 30, 2009

I could't guarantee my experience would be the rule... but I found that the prices on the web, e.g. South West Trains http://www.swt.trainsfares.co.uk/Buy_Tickets/matrix/display_matrix.asp?expand=&T2ID=4471_2009430122159&ScriptEnabled=True were generally actual.

You only have to carefully select from the following options - to get the price right: single or return journey; and also, prices vary depenfing on hours: Peak, Off Peak...

[Edited at 2009-04-30 12:40 GMT]

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
TheTrainLine Apr 30, 2009

This is another rail enquiry service in the UK.
Website http://www.thetrainline.com/
Phone: 0870-010-1296 (from within UK - from elsewhere in Europe probably 0044 870-010-1296)
People are forever complaining about the maze of different rail fares in the UK. You will certainly need some advice from somewhere!

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
calling them...?? Apr 30, 2009

Hi Sarah

calling them is exactly my problem. I´ve been trying to do so know for about 3 days (day or night - it doesn´t matter) - they are always tooooo busy to answer calls "at the moment" and advise you to call back "later" - when that would be... I personally don´t know. But I will keep trying

Hi Jack

Thanks for the trainline number. I called the and actually got to speak to someone ....yippiehh... They´ve told me the price, if I bought the ticket at the station, would be the same as if I bought it online. However, the women from India did not entirely convince me.... (nothing against Indians, please don´t get me wrong anyone).

So I would appreciate any further input on the matter.

Thanks for all your answers so far.

Angela Dickson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
advance Apr 30, 2009

You will almost certainly pay more, and possibly a lot more, for a ticket bought on the day than for an advance ticket, particularly for longer journeys. If I travel from Coventry to Birmingham, it costs me between £4 and £6 whenever I travel and whenever I buy the ticket, but going to London I pay nearly £40 for a ticket bought on the day and as little as £10 for an advance return.

If you know when the flight is arriving, though, could you not book an advance ticket for a specific train? Leave a few hours between arrival at the airport and departure from the station, in case your flight is delayed. I think you can book online from abroad and arrange to pick the tickets up on the day of travel (you'll need a booking reference to get the tickets from the machine/person).

Personally, these days I'm prepared to pay a small premium in order to travel to and from an airport close to home, but you might not get as grumpy as I do after a long day's travellingicon_smile.gif

[Edited at 2009-04-30 12:23 GMT]

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I might... Apr 30, 2009

...get even grumpier, Angelaicon_smile.gif

You´re probably right about buying the ticket in advance...I just wanted to avoid it, in case of a delay of the flight.... you never know with R.....??? do you...

In that case, does anyone know how long it might possibly take to get from Liverpool airport to the train station?

Slight change of topic, but any further input on the original topic is still much appreciated.

Thanks.

Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Megabus Apr 30, 2009

Not tried them yet but have been checking on their fares lately – you can book both train and bus through them.

Preston to Edinburgh single by rail for £9 plus 50p booking fee (plus £7 for return) for example. (Only seem to be able to travel to Birmingham and London by bus from Liverpool though.)

http://www.megabus.com/uk/

Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Depends on which station Apr 30, 2009

Manuela Junghans wrote:

...get even grumpier, Angelaicon_smile.gif

You´re probably right about buying the ticket in advance...I just wanted to avoid it, in case of a delay of the flight.... you never know with R.....??? do you...

In that case, does anyone know how long it might possibly take to get from Liverpool airport to the train station?

Slight change of topic, but any further input on the original topic is still much appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi Manuela,

Check the timetables online to see if you can get on at Liverpool Parkway Station.

If you're lucky, and your train stops at Liverpool Parkway Station, that is only about 5-10 minutes by bus/taxi from Liverpool John Lennon Airport.

However, if you have to travel into the city centre and need to get to Lime Street Station, then you're looking at a trip of about 45 minutes by bus, 30 minutes by taxi during off-peak hours.

Alternatively, you can get a taxi/bus to Parkway and catch the train to Lime Street Station -- in total around 45 minutes I'd say, because of all the stops, but probably a safer bet in rush hour traffic.

I live in Portugal but was born in Liverpool and fly there a few times a year. My aunt lives in Allerton and Liverpool Parkway is her local station, but I specifically know they didn't build the platform long enough to accommodate the London Virgin service (!) -- that's why I can't tell you for sure whether Parkway is going to be possible for your train.

Hope this helps
Debs

[Edited at 2009-04-30 14:34 GMT]

Elin Davies  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
English to Welsh
+ ...
Book in advance Apr 30, 2009

Hi Manuela

I'm not sure about your actual routes and stations as they're different to ones I use, but I do travel on a number of lines and booking in advance is very much recommended. If possible, book a month in advance, otherwise try to get them at least week in advance. Prices can triple at best after that. This is the site I use, and you can then click through once you've chosen the train and fare and choose from who to buy:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/index.html

It's quite good with the details. You could try looking at the dates you intend to travel, and then do another search for today or tomorrow to see the difference. If you buy online, you just need the reference number and the card you used when you arrive to collect your tickets (don't forget the reference number - there's always a big quese of people who forgot to bring this trying to get their tickets!).

Hope that's helpful!

Elin

NKW (X)
French to English
+ ...
www.thetrainline.com Apr 30, 2009

I would like to endorse the suggestion that the above site be used. A full range of fares is shown, with details of all available services - both direct and involving changes of train.

Gute Reise!

Very best wishes

Nicholas

Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
Book online Apr 30, 2009

Hi Manuela

Why not buy your ticket online now, from the Trainline.com
You can specify the station at which you are going to collect your ticket, from a machine in the public area of the ticket office.
This assumes you have e-mail access where you are, as they e-mail you a reference number that has to be entered on the machine.

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone... May 1, 2009

...for your valuable comments and suggestions.

Thanks Robert for the Megabus link. They are very popular in Scotland and ok for shorter distances, but I personally am not a big fan of longer distance bus travel.

And Debs, thanks you for letting me know how long it will approx. take to get from the airport to the main station and for pointing out that I might be able to get on the train at the station closer to airport. I will check it out.

Thank you all for you help.

Manuela

juvera  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Different type of tickets May 1, 2009

You can buy an "Off peak" ticket, which is usually the cheapest you can get, and it is not restricted to a particular train, as long as you travel after 9:30.
You can buy it on the spot, but tell the cashier that you want the "off peak". I think you may be able to buy it in advance as well.

If you buy an "Any time" advance ticket, you would not have the problem of missing your train, but it would be more expensive than the fixed one.

Whatever you do, ask all the relevant questions to be sure to get the best deal, because train companies have different policies.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Train travel in the UK

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search