Off topic: Holiday in the Carribean
Thread poster: Joanna Wachowiak-Finlaison

Joanna Wachowiak-Finlaison
United States
Local time: 23:57
English to Polish
+ ...
May 9, 2009

I'm thinking about going on holiday in the Carribean this year - after all, it's a short flight from Texas. The big problem I'm having is choosing a destination. You see, I hate crowds. Abhor chain hotels. Places filled with tourists make sick. On the other hand, the translation business is not going well enough to rent a whole islandicon_wink.gif
I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions - where to go and stay, and also which places to avoid.

Håvard Olerud Eriksen  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 06:57
English to Norwegian
+ ...
DR May 9, 2009

Joanna Wachowiak-Finlaison wrote:

I'm thinking about going on holiday in the Carribean this year - after all, it's a short flight from Texas. The big problem I'm having is choosing a destination. You see, I hate crowds. Abhor chain hotels. Places filled with tourists make sick. On the other hand, the translation business is not going well enough to rent a whole islandicon_wink.gif
I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions - where to go and stay, and also which places to avoid.

Me and my small family (wife and daughter no. 1) went to the Dominican Republic two years ago and stayed in the Samana area up North in a small town called Las Terrenas. It was very nice and quiet with quite a few ex-pat Frenchmen and Germans but besides that mostly Dominicans. There were some all inclusives around but most of the time we found ourselves having kilometers of beaches virtually to ourselves. It was paradise on Earth indeed. Your get there by going to Santo Domingoa and then you catch a domestic flight up to the Northern coast. Highly recommended!

Håvard

Aniello Scognamiglio  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Mexico :-) May 9, 2009

Mexico's Caribbean coast - Yucatán and Quintana Roo: - Isla Mujeres - Cancún - Cozumel - Playa del Carmen

Years ago I spent an unforgettable 4-week-holiday in Mexico (Yucatan and Chiapas). My favourite place was Isla Mujeres and the Maya Ruins are very impressive.

http://www.mexconnect.com/en/articles/1894-the-beaches-and-coastlines-of-mexico
http://mayaruins.com/

Have a good trip!

Aniello

United States
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hm... May 9, 2009

Mexico seems to be a bit too crowded for me - especially places like Cancun and Cozumel... I might be wrong, though.
I've just been looking at St. Martin - any comments?

Chris Lancaster  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
Barbados May 9, 2009

I took my wife and 2 kids to Barbados last August and we had a great 10 days. The hotel we stayed at (Bougainvillea Beach Resort) fully lived up to its promise. We were even lucky enough to see turtles hatching and making their way
to the sea one morning... unforgettable.

Of course the beaches are popular but we never found the island too 'touristy'. The unaffected friendliness of the islanders also makes a difference.

All in all it was a most welcome introduction to the Caribbean for us.

Anne Carnot  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to French
Depends when you go... May 10, 2009

I went to Jamaica a few years ago when I had a non-mobile baby and was 6 month pregnant with the 2nd one! We stayed in an all-inclusive hotel, but we were in small bungalows so you didn't really see other tourists except at meal times, and that was really OK. Beaches were beautiful and not crowded at all, that was very relaxing (the only annoying thing was locals trying to sell all kind of stuff on the beach).
Having said that we went just before the beginning of the hurricane season, that's probably why it was so quieticon_wink.gif

PRen (X)
Canada
Local time: 01:57
French to English
+ ...
It's too bad tourists make you sick.... May 10, 2009

but if you're travelling to the Caribbean, what do you think you'll be??? Just another tourist, I'm afraid.

If you really want to avoid those dreaded hordes, travel off-season. It'll be cheaper.

United States
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... May 10, 2009

PRen wrote:

but if you're travelling to the Caribbean, what do you think you'll be??? Just another tourist, I'm afraid.

If you really want to avoid those dreaded hordes, travel off-season. It'll be cheaper.

Oh, I know I'll be one of THEM:) I just don't like crowds (used to work in hospitality industry, spending waaay too much time with loads of people in a confined space).
I will be travelling off season, summer is off season in the Carribean.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Holiday in the Carribean

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search