Off topic: Cruise translating
Thread poster: Alistair Gainey
Alistair Gainey
Alistair Gainey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:29
Russian to English
May 9, 2009

Since someone's asking about the Caribbean, I thought I'd ask about cruise translating. How viable would it be to take, say, a 100-day cruise and spend the time at sea translating? What percentage of the cost of the cruise could one hope to cover through one's translating activities? (I suspect the cost of using the Internet at sea might make this a non-starter, but has anyone thought about it?)

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:29
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Cunard cruise charges May 9, 2009

I happen to have a Cunard brochure here, and I see that the Queen Mary 2 is leaving on January 10th 2010 on a 101-night world cruise. Cheapest price is GBP10,500 (so about USD15,000, I think.)
I found the following information about Internet charges on the Web:

Cunard Line

Internet & Wi-Fi: Queen Mary 2 passengers can choose from eight computer terminals in the Cyber Centre, six in the Library and 30 in the Cunard ConneXions rooms. These passengers can also log o
... See more
I happen to have a Cunard brochure here, and I see that the Queen Mary 2 is leaving on January 10th 2010 on a 101-night world cruise. Cheapest price is GBP10,500 (so about USD15,000, I think.)
I found the following information about Internet charges on the Web:

Cunard Line

Internet & Wi-Fi: Queen Mary 2 passengers can choose from eight computer terminals in the Cyber Centre, six in the Library and 30 in the Cunard ConneXions rooms. These passengers can also log onto their own laptops in their cabins and in 13 wireless locations throughout the QM2, including the Golden Lion Pub, Sir Samuels Wine Bar and Sports Deck. Among its many other bells and whistles, QM2's in-cabin interactive television system notifies you when there is a new e-mail. File and picture attachments can be viewed using a Cyber Centre computer. Queen Victoria also offers a computer center and wireless Internet access in cabins and select public areas.

Fees & Equipment: On QM2, basic Internet charges will run you 50 cents per minute; a variety of package rates including $13.50 for half an hour and $167.95 for eight hours. You'll pay $1.50 to send or receive text messages via the interactive television.

Cell Phones: Cell phone service is available on both QM2 and Queen Victoria. Phones must have international roaming capabilities, and the guests' service providers must have a roaming agreement with Maritime Communications Partner AS. Cell phone service will not be available in theaters and restaurants onboard.

I have been on a cruise (not a world cruise!) on the QM2 and can recommend the experience as a holiday, but I have no idea if it would work as a commercial proposition for a translator. I should think you'd need a considerable amount of guaranteed work available anyway.
Collapse

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 01:29
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Another look at the issue May 10, 2009

I am not sure you will cover the cost of the trip, as the price quoted may imply just "the cruise itself", sightseeing charged additionally....

Think of spending a good time, say not 101-night mandatory, but the time you reasonably need to have rest. Have fun!

I used to work on cruises translating as a guide/interpretor/group_leader(manager)... I've seen the Mediterranean, "everything was included" and a "modest pay" was good for pocket money in the ports... adjust for
... See more
I am not sure you will cover the cost of the trip, as the price quoted may imply just "the cruise itself", sightseeing charged additionally....

Think of spending a good time, say not 101-night mandatory, but the time you reasonably need to have rest. Have fun!

I used to work on cruises translating as a guide/interpretor/group_leader(manager)... I've seen the Mediterranean, "everything was included" and a "modest pay" was good for pocket money in the ports... adjust for the fact I was a student back in the 1990-s...

(edited for typos)

[Редактировалось 2009-05-10 21:02 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cruise translating

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »