Off topic: Social engineering - an email attempting to steal your login information
Thread poster: Rahi Moosavi

Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:26
Member (2004)
Farsi (Persian) to English
+ ...
May 27, 2009

I received this email and thought of sharing it here just for laughs, we've all heard of social engineering and how people try to steal your login information but come on, what kind of person would fall for something like this??!!!

Dear Webmail User,

This message was sent automatically by a program on Webmail which
periodically checks the size of inboxes, where new messages are
received.The program is run weekly to ensure no one's inbox grows
too large. Ifyour inbox becomes too large, you will be unable to
receive new email.Just before this message was sent, you had 18
Megabytes (MB) or more of messages stored in your inbox on your
Webmail. To help us re-set your SPACE on our database prior to
maintain your INBOX, you must reply to
this e-mail and enter your

Current User name ( )

and Password ( )

Webmail Login address ( ) eg webmail.domain.com

You will continue to receive this warning message periodically if your
inbox size continues to be between 18 and 20 MB. If your inbox size
grows to 20 MB, then a program on Bates Webmail will move your oldest
email to afolder in your home directory to ensure that you will continue
to be able to receive incoming email. You will be notified by email that
this has taken place. If your inbox grows to 25 MB, you will be unable to
receive new email as it will be returned to the sender.
After you read a message, it is best to REPLY and SAVE it to another
folder.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Help Desk

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-05-28 03:03 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:26
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Is it an adequate topic title? May 27, 2009

Indeed it is stupid, but some people might fall in it...

I wonder: would it be possible to change the topic title to include a reference to scam, so that people read it and are informed?

Thanks for posting this!

Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2004)
Farsi (Persian) to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
scams May 27, 2009

I thought it was self explanatory because social engineering is quite a well known term, see this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_engineering_(security)

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:26
English to German
+ ...
Thanks, lai an, but... May 28, 2009

that's a different story. Social engineering means manipulating people into performing actions or divulging confidential information by trickery or deception. Such as sending emails to subscribers of a particular website / service, requesting information. The email / website, of course, is a fake. More? Some company is calling you on the phone, asking you to participate in whatever survey. You willingly will provide private information because they said that it's for a good cause. Who doesn't want to feed the hungry or rescue abused animals. Now it's getting interesting: Someone is calling you at your desk. The person tells you, that he / she is working for / is close to a colleague of yours. Tells you, that this particular person has asked a particular favor / a service. Unfortunately, to do so, some further information is required. Birthday, name of the bank, whatever. You fall for it, because the person already knows so much about your colleague - it just has to be a close friend, right?

lai an wrote:

A book: Linguistic Engineering: Language and Politics in Mao’s China:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linguistic-Engineering-Language-Politics-China/dp/0824825365

[Edited at 2009-05-27 23:27 GMT]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:26
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What is social engineering May 28, 2009

Rahi Moosavi wrote:
I thought it was self explanatory because social engineering is quite a well known term, see this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_engineering_(security)

I'm familiar with the term social engineering, but this is the first time I see it used in the context of e-mail scamming. I had always thought it was a hacking term, not a scamming term.

The way I have encountered the term before suggested to me that (a) it is interactive, (b) the purpose is often to gain information from someone but not to the immediate detriment of that person, and (c) the person who provides the information is usually someone with some degree of authority.

So e-mail would not work because you can't skillfully react to someone's reaction when they read an e-mail, and in this case the scam is random -- he did not choose you because you will help him get access to some larger system.

However, I now see that the Wikipedia article regards phishing as a type of social engineering. I find this weird, but who can disagree with Wikipedia?

Kathryn Sanderson  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
Of Wikipedia and scams May 28, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:

However, I now see that the Wikipedia article regards phishing as a type of social engineering. I find this weird, but who can disagree with Wikipedia?

Anyone can disagree with Wikipedia and submit corrections, which may be published. Isn't that the whole point of Wikipedia? It's not correct about everything. :S

And a course correction for having veered off topic....

It makes me angry that there are so many spammers and scammers out there. And enough (too many) people must be falling for them, otherwise the scammers would quit. Of course, scammers are very clever and keep coming up with new scams. All we can do is be vigilant and warn one another about new tricks.

Thanks to Rahi and everyone else who takes the time to alert us.

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:26
English to German
+ ...
So true. May 28, 2009

Kathryn Sanderson wrote:

It makes me angry that there are so many spammers and scammers out there. And enough (too many) people must be falling for them, otherwise the scammers would quit. Of course, scammers are very clever and keep coming up with new scams. All we can do is be vigilant and warn one another about new tricks.

Thanks to Rahi and everyone else who takes the time to alert us.

Thanks, Rahi!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Social engineering - an email attempting to steal your login information

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €415 / $495
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €415 / $495 / £325 / ¥60,000 You will also receive FREE access to our getting started eLearning program!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search