Off topic: Is there anyone living in Los Angeles who can suggest me a hotel for my two-days stay in august?
Thread poster: Tamara Fantinato

Tamara Fantinato
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 9, 2009

hi everyone!!!!

Is there anyone living in LA who can suggest me a hotel for my two-days stay in august?
I don't need a luxury hotel (actually I don't want to spend too much money as my trip is 20 days long all around west coast and parks), I just would like to stay in a clean hotel/motel and in a safe area!

Thanks in advance for your kind help!!!!!

Tamara

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-06-09 14:55 GMT]

Katrin Hollberg  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:27
Japanese to German
+ ...
For example Motel 6 Jun 9, 2009

We stayed in California last year and stayed overnight 2 or 3 times in such a motel because we did not want to pay high prices only for having a rest.
It is rather cheap, sufficient if you are only looking for basics and usually they seem to be clean enough to satisfy my demands.
http://www.motel6.com/reservations/motel_detail.aspx?num=4044

But before booking a specific accomodation also check tripadvisor.com. It might be helpful to read varying comments made by different people worldwide. Sometimes it saves you from wasting your money for bad experiences.
or try

http://www.daysinn.com/DaysInn/control/home

There are different chains and they are sometimes quite similar.
Motel 6 seems to be one of the cheapest.

We also had a fabulous stay at this accomodation:
http://www.innatplayadelrey.com/ (close to the airport but not too noisy. Very very nice people there...)
However, I guess that's not what you are heading for... but maybe for another occasion...who knows?

Have a nice trip - Greetings / Katrin

[Bearbeitet am 2009-06-09 15:19 GMT]

Kitty Maerz  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Location! Jun 9, 2009

I used to live in LA, and though unfortunately I can't recommend any specific hotel, I would advise you to select your hotel primarily based on location. Of course where you want to stay will partly depend on what you are planning to do there. Don't forget that Los Angeles is huge. Getting all the way across can easily take two hours.

It rather sounds like you will be on holiday. Therefore, I would definitely recommend that you stay away from Downtown LA which has nothing much to offer in the evenings (and taking a wrong turn will get you quite quickly into areas better avoided).

My personal recommendation would be to stay in Santa Monica (I believe there is a Best Western there that isn't TOO expensive). There you are conveniently located to visit the beach, go shopping, drive over to Beverly Hills etc. Downtown isn't too far either should you need to go there.

Another good choice would be the Westwood/West Hollywood/Beverly Hills/Brentwood area (I used to live there so I might be a bit biased). Quite convenient as far as getting to other places, comparatively safe and pretty much what people think of as typically "Southern California".

If you can't find an affordable place there, the Anaheim/Long Beach/Torrance area might work too. Not quite as convenient (depending on what your plans are) and you might have to double check to ensure that it is a safe area. However, if you plan to mostly visit the beach, go shopping or visit amusement parks staying around that are might work fine (and I would guess that it is less expensive).

Hope you have a great trip!

Olaf (X)
English to German
Orchid Suites in Hollywood Jun 9, 2009

If you're looking for budget hotel in Hollywood, I can definitely recommend the
Orchid Suites Hotel.
It's not exactly a fancy motel, but the rooms are clean and the staff is very friendly. Also parking is included and you get to pick a parking spot with a movie star name.
Here's the Trip Advisor Link with more information.

Olaf

Anna Dzidowska  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
re: Motel 6 Jun 9, 2009

[quote]Katrin Hollberg wrote:

We stayed in California last year and stayed overnight 2 or 3 times in such a motel because we did not want to pay high prices only for having a rest.
It is rather cheap, sufficient if you are only looking for basics and usually they seem to be clean enough to satisfy my demands.
http://www.motel6.com/reservations/motel_detail.aspx?num=4044

Hi,

I agree with Katrin. Motel 6 is a very good choice if you only need basics and do not want to spend too much. So is Super 8. When we were travelling around California last summer, we usually stayed in one of those chains and were quite satisfied.

Alexandra Goldburt
Local time: 16:27
English to Russian
+ ...
There are many Jun 9, 2009

I agree with Kitty - Los Angeles is huge, and there are many reasonably priced hotels or motels. Which ones to choose depends on what exactly you'll be doing there. General rule is: the father from the beach, the cheaper. You can find real bargains in the northern part of San Fernando Valley, for example.

Motel 6 would be one option. Another one would be Super 8 motel: http://www.cheapostay.com. You might check this website for some bargains: http://www.roomsaver.com/

If you have any more Los Angeles related questions, feel free to contact me directly. I've been living here for the last 21 years, and I'll be glad if my knowledge of the area will be of any use to you.

Good luck!

Michael Barnett
Local time: 19:27
English
+ ...
The Beverly Hills Hotel Jun 9, 2009

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverly_Hills_Hotel

This place is actually quite expensive, but look at the people who have stayed there, and the history! Moreover, if you want to run into some stars, this isn't a bad place to do it. Have lunch in the Polo Lounge.

As you wait at the lobby entrance for the valet to bring you your car in the evening, watch the parade of Ferraris, Lamborghinis and Rolls Royces and the beautiful people who arrive. You look each over, hoping to spot a celebrity. The funny thing is that they are also looking YOU over, hoping to spot a celebrity. The last time I was there, someone mistook me for a movie executive with his actress wife. (We acknowledged her recognition politely with a nod and a smile...)

Michael

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there anyone living in Los Angeles who can suggest me a hotel for my two-days stay in august?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search