Off topic: hulahup, barbatruc !
Thread poster: foghorn

foghorn
English to Turkish
+ ...
Jun 16, 2009

i don’t know how many languages the Barbapapa series were adopted . i still wonder how they may sound like in other languages.

To start with, ‘hulahup, barbatruc’ is ‘hop hop hop değiş tonton’ in Turkish..

Fans are invited.

Direct link Reply with quote

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:46
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Hüp-hüp-hüp, barbatrükk! (Hungarian) Jun 17, 2009

My 5-year old daughter and 3-year old son are fans – is that a good enough excuse?

The word "barbatrükk" is quite commonly used in Hungarian. In sports, it means a fairly dumb trick that is fairly easy to counter – but if the opponent falls into the trap, he/she will look a bit ridiculous. It is also used in other contexts for simple but slightly illegal tricks.

Attila

Chiara Righele  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:46
English to Italian
+ ...
Barbapapà in Italian Jun 17, 2009

I can't really remember that much of Barbapapà, but I remember I used to watch the series sometimes when I was a child. And the saying was "Resta di stucco, è un barbatrucco".

Barbatrucco is a word that has then been borrowed in Italian, and it is used in speech. I use it quite often
The whole idiom is also sometimes used.

My 2 cents
Chiara

Andrea Appel
Canada
Local time: 09:46
English to German
+ ...
Barbapapa in German Jun 18, 2009

I also remember to see this show growing up in Germany...

Ra Ru Rück Barbatrick ((-;

[Edited at 2009-06-18 19:48 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

hulahup, barbatruc !

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search