Panic gripped the streets of Brussels this afternoon when patches of sky
took on a blue colour and a ball of fire appeared above the city

The Mayor urged people to be calm and return to work as normal instead of
stripping off their hats, scarves and jackets and heading to a beer garden
for the afternoon. "We've seen this sort of thing before", he said, "but it
never lasts."

There are forecasts that this phenomenon, commonly found in mediterranean
countries and known as the "sun" could be seen throughout the weekend but a
spokesman for the Met Office said "I wouldn't hold my breath".

Cheers,
SARAJ
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 17:47
Spanish
+ ...
Oh my God!!!!! Sep 11, 2003

I know what you mean. I've seen it in Lima.

This unusual phenomenon takes place during two or three months of the year; but only for a few days. Some people call these months 'Summer'(?). And it also happens with the blue sky and the same ball of fire. There is no scientific term for the days the phenomenon takes place.

Anyway, it's a bit disturbing; even scary. I've even heard stories of places far away where this happens everyday. The people of Lima are used to
... See more

This unusual phenomenon takes place during two or three months of the year; but only for a few days. Some people call these months 'Summer'(?). And it also happens with the blue sky and the same ball of fire. There is no scientific term for the days the phenomenon takes place.

Anyway, it's a bit disturbing; even scary. I've even heard stories of places far away where this happens everyday. The people of Lima are used to normal conditions, a grey or even white sky. But a blue sky? Suspicious.

But it doesn't last here either.

Claudia

[Edited at 2003-09-11 17:45]

[Edited at 2003-09-11 17:48]
Collapse

Seadeta Osmani
Seadeta Osmani  Identity Verified
Croatia
Local time: 00:47
English to Croatian
+ ...
If there's no sun-- go search for it! Sep 11, 2003

Took a few days off this year to try and find a place where sun really appears and shines, not only seems to be appearing... believe it or not-- found it!!! There is a small town on the Aegean coast of Turkey where one gets the impression that sun never DISappears!

Best of luck to us all,

Seadeta

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Once a year in L.A Sep 11, 2003

there is no smog and you can actually see the sun. God moves the smog aside to see if L.A. is still there. But after he takes a closer look, he puts the smog back in place, not to have to look at what's going on down there...

Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
be careful, out there... Sep 11, 2003

Said Kaljanac a.k.a. SARAJ wrote:
Panic gripped the streets of Brussels this afternoon when patches of sky
took on a blue colour and a ball of fire appeared above the city

Maybe planet Mars is getting a little too close

Edwal Rospigliosi
Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
a ball of fire on Lima? Sep 13, 2003

I live in Lima, too, and I don't know what you mean. A ball of fire? Perhaps I need to travel more Or at least, leave my chair and go to the window more often...

Caliaa wrote:

Anyway, it's a bit disturbing; even scary. I've even heard stories of places far away where this happens everyday. The people of Lima are used to normal conditions, a grey or even white sky. But a blue sky? Suspicious.

But it doesn't last here either.

Claudia

[Edited at 2003-09-11 17:45]

[Edited at 2003-09-11 17:48]

[Edited at 2003-09-15 19:43]

Yamato (X)
Yamato (X)
Bulgaria
Local time: 01:47
Russian to Spanish
+ ...
I have experienced it.... Sep 14, 2003

Now, my friends, I can confirm that the legends are true. I live in southern Spain, and here, Sun is a very common phenomenon.

That probably explains why we worship it.

But when I was 15, I spent a month in Ireland, and I couldn't really understand why I found the place so gloomy, despite all the green and how nice the people there were.

So one day I was very confused when I saw this strong light coming from the sky... it took me a few seconds to realize th
... See more
Now, my friends, I can confirm that the legends are true. I live in southern Spain, and here, Sun is a very common phenomenon.

That probably explains why we worship it.

But when I was 15, I spent a month in Ireland, and I couldn't really understand why I found the place so gloomy, despite all the green and how nice the people there were.

So one day I was very confused when I saw this strong light coming from the sky... it took me a few seconds to realize that it was my old friend, the one I hadn't seen for weeks, but of course I hadn't noticed.

It took me a little longer to understand the reaction of the locals, who were astonished, and some even fled to the safety of their houses.

Oh well.... cosas veredes, Sancho!

(Cosas veredes, Sancho: an expression from "Don Quixote", meaning "the world is full of incredible things. Widely used in Spanish to express surprise)
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PANIC IN BRUSSELS ! ! !

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »