Off topic: Do you feel that Proz is going the wrong way? (Topic related to recent security breach.)
Thread poster: Mohamed Mehenoun

Mohamed Mehenoun  Identity Verified
Algeria
Local time: 14:56
English to French
+ ...
Aug 7, 2009

Hello,

I'm not sure this thread won't be deleted ! As I feel that Proz is feeling like "not encouraging" some threads ! As I understood it "not encouraging" means censoring you !

I received a certain email about a certain problem the website is facing and apparently
"
The thread that existed on this topic contained some incorrect speculation that led to undo alarm and inconvenience for some members. Therefore the decision was made to post the facts of this incident in one "official" page, and to field any unanswered questions via the support channel, updating the page as necessary to ensure that all questions are answered efficiently and thoroughly. Your cooperation in this respect will be appreciated.
"
I really feel kinda upset about this sentence as I feel that while my money is welcomed for membership, the problems my privacy could face and my worries are to be buried ! I also feel that the staff is trying to prevent me from communicating with other members and is just censoring me for whatever agenda they have.

I'm sure like hell that if I had this kind of attitude with my clients, I soon won't have any ! And wanted to just to have other peoples' opinions ! That is if Proz "encourages" this kind of discussion !

I also know that if I didn't comply with an engagement I made with a client I'll have to give him a compensation for it !

Best regards,

Mohamed Mehenoun

[Edited at 2009-08-07 00:46 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-08-07 00:47 GMT]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-08-07 03:22 GMT]

Anne-Marie Grant (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Hello Mohamed, Aug 7, 2009

You most certainly are not alone in your feelings of dismay about lockdowns and censorship. Sadly, as this thread is likely to be gone by dawn, there's not much point in discussing it.

David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
I agree with you Aug 7, 2009

I have expressed my views on the matter directly to Henry, and a support representative, as well as in the forum posting that until today was the only way to know about this and discuss it. I do think that communicating via support and even with Henry directly are good options to make your views known; whatever else you may think, they will listen to you and respond. Be prepared for the possibility of them not agreeing with you...

Algeria
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
!+! Aug 7, 2009

David Russi wrote:

I have expressed my views on the matter directly to Henry, and a support representative, as well as in the forum posting that until today was the only way to know about this and discuss it. I do think that communicating via support and even with Henry directly are good options to make your views known; whatever else you may think, they will listen to you and respond. Be prepared for the possibility of them not agreeing with you...

When a security breach is involved, I as a customer has rights ! Furthermore, I don't really pay to see the service provider do as he pleases what happened to the "Customer is king" philosophy ?!

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 08:56
Spanish
+ ...
This is nothing new Aug 7, 2009

This is nothing new, ProZ has been going this way for years now: the censoring of uncomfortable threads (for whatever reasons), ad-hoc posting rules, temporary banning of members for "violating" those ad-hoc rules or not shutting up, etc. ProZ is still a great site for translators, specially the forum, but that kind of policy is really suffocating. It's also the reason I requested a refund on my membership and the reason why many great translators are no longer part of ProZ.

Algeria
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm not questioning the professionalism ... Aug 7, 2009

Claudia Alvis wrote:

This is nothing new, ProZ has been going this way for years now: the censoring of uncomfortable threads (for whatever reasons), ad-hoc posting rules, temporary banning of members for "violating" those ad-hoc rules or not shutting up, etc. ProZ is still a great site for translators, specially the forum, but that kind of policy is really suffocating. It's also the reason I requested a refund on my membership and the reason why many great translators are no longer part of ProZ.

Don't get me wrong ! I'm not questioning the professionalism of the website or the good business I did via ProZ ! It is clear that we as professionals or at least me as a professional am getting a lot out of my membership.

I don't really mind censoring as long as it doesn't meddle with my private life directly, I couldn't care less about how people envision doing business ! Because like or not there are more than a way to do business ! And benefit rules over business even though the moral boundaries ain't the same for everybody !

My worry is that as a client I don't wanna see some info out there especially things like my address, my personal phone number, my Moneybookers email ... As my private life could suffer from it ! My business address is my home for God's sake ! I mean my family lives there ... And I really don't want to have someone I pay tell me not to freak out or not to discuss issues related to this kind of info...

I hope I'm not breaking any "ad-hoc posting rules" as I don't wanna get banned nor do I wanna start a war I just want to get a real discussion about the issue, a compensation and an insurance that it will never happen again ! Moreover, I don't feel like hearing "we didn't do our job but you don't have a say in the matter, just shut the hell up !!!!" ...It just makes me feel like "What the heck !!!!"...

[Edited at 2009-08-07 02:14 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-08-07 02:19 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-08-07 02:19 GMT]

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 09:56
SITE FOUNDER
We are doing everything we can. Your cooperation will help. Aug 7, 2009

I understand your feeling. Based on our experience with the previous thread, and some misunderstandings that came out of it, it was decided to maintain one "official" page, keeping it current with more facts and Q&A as we process support tickets and other information becomes available.

We are acutely aware of the responsibility the site has in protecting sensitive user data. We are doing everything we can in that respect. Your cooperation on this matter will help us to do that.

I am locking this thread. Please feel free to enter a support ticket, or communicate with colleagues directly or via profile pages, but please do not reopen a new thread on this topic.

Thank you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you feel that Proz is going the wrong way? (Topic related to recent security breach.)

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search