International Translation Day 2017

Join ProZ.com/TV for a FREE event on September 26-27th celebrating International Translation Day! 50+ hours of content, Chat, Live Q&A & more. Join 1,000's of linguists from around the globe as ProZ.com/TV celebrates International Translation Day.

Click for Full Participation

Conflict of interests?
Thread poster: Maria Milagros
Maria Milagros
Local time: 09:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 8, 2009

Off topic. Dear all, I want your comments on whether there is a legal restriction or a conflict of interest in this case:

A certified translator is translating a general power of attorney. The certified translator is one of the proxies mentioned in the document. Can a translator translate a document in which he himself is one of the participants /interested parties?
Note: The document is issued in Venezuela and it is being translated to be used in the USA after due notarizing at the US embassy in Venezuela.
Thanks in advance for your comments.
María Milagros

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes Sep 9, 2009

At least there would appear to be a conflict of interest, so it should be avoided. As to legalities, I can give no professional opinion.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:00
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Bad idea normally Sep 9, 2009

I have no idea about the legality of it, and I imagine that if there are no problems along the way, it could work.

However, if there is any dispute at all amongst the parties and it is revealed that one party (the translator) had this dual rôle, it could put the translator in a very bad light with all sorts of accusations of "foul play", whether well-founded or completely unfounded.

Maria Milagros
Local time: 09:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Henry and Sheila Sep 9, 2009

Grateful for your comments, colleagues. Maria Milagros

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Conflict of interests?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search