Andrea Appel
Canada
Local time: 18:22
English to German
+ ...
Sep 9, 2009

NINE WORDS WOMEN USE
(1) Fine:
This is the word women use to end an argument when they are right and you need to shut up.

(2) Five Minutes:
If she is getting dressed, this means a half an hour. Five minutes is only five minutes if you have just been given five more minutes to watch the game before helping around the house.

(3) Nothing:
This is the calm before the storm. This means something, and you should be on your toes. Arguments that begin with nothing usually end in fine.

(4) Go Ahead:
This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

(5) Loud Sigh:
This is actually a word, but is a non-verbal statement often misunderstood by men. A loud sigh means she thinks you are an idiot and wonders why she is wasting her time standing here and arguing with you about nothing. (Refer back to # 3 for the meaning of nothing.)

(6) That's Okay:
This is one of the most dangerous statements a women can make to a man. That's okay means she wants to think long and hard before deciding how and when you will pay for your mistake.

(7) Thanks:
A woman is thanking you, do not question, or faint. Just say you're welcome. (I want to add in a clause here - This is true, unless she says 'Thanks a lot' - that is PURE sarcasm and she is not thanking you at all. DO NOT say 'you're welcome' . that will bring on a 'whatever').

(8) Whatever:
Is a woman's way of saying F-- YOU!

(9) Don't worry about it, I got it:
Another dangerous statement, meaning this is something that a woman has told a man to do several times, but is now doing it herself. This will later result in a man asking 'What's wrong?' For the woman's response refer to # 3.

Hope you have a good laugh (-:
someone forwarded it to me and I think its worth sharing....isn't it so true (-;

Kind regards
Andrea

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
Forgot number ten Sep 9, 2009

Forget it. After you said what?

You're in trouble.

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 19:22
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Great! Sep 9, 2009

I really don´t know why, but when translated into Spanish, the words have exactly the same meaning!
I really enjoyed it. Thank you!

Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:22
English to French
+ ...
Oh well Sep 9, 2009

Yeah but what about the "oh well". I still don't get it exactly.

Anne Baudraz  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:22
Italian to French
+ ...
very pleasant Sep 9, 2009

Had a good laugh befor starting mor serious work!!!! I was prepared to read a very serious text about feminism, and what you have to be careful about when you translate a text , and it was a nice surprise, a nice little break.

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:22
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Words Men Use Sep 9, 2009

There's a lot of material out there about men's vocabulary, too, e.g. this one:

Words Men Use -- and What They Mean

OK
He didn't actually hear anything you said, but he's learned that if he doesn't say something when you talk, you'll keep talking.

Five Minutes

Somewhere between "in a little while" and "the end of time". Never actually means five minutes unless you gave that as a time limit, in which case it means five minutes, timed to the closest millisecond.

Of Course I Love You for You!
He loves you for your body. If that goes, so will he.

Is it OK if I...?
He's already done it, so you may as well approve.

Loud Sigh
Although not actually a word, the loud sigh accompanies the realization that he's going to have to figure out a way to undo something he's already done in the hopes that you'd approve.

Nothing
He forgot what he was going to say, most likely because he was distracted by the subtle jiggle of your/your sister's/your best friend's/some stranger's breasts.

Thanks
Thank you. Really, really thank you -- I thought for sure you'd say no.

And for more on the subject, try this link:
http://www.catchhimandkeephim.com/channels/articles/what-are-men-saying.asp

Silvina Matheu  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 19:22
English to Spanish
Exactly! Sep 9, 2009

Clarisa Moraña wrote:

I really don´t know why, but when translated into Spanish, the words have exactly the same meaning!
I really enjoyed it. Thank you!

As I was reading, I thought exactly the same. No cultural differences here

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Beware of womans terminology

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search