Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: Congratulations to my Brazilian friendson winning your bid to host the Olympics in 2016!
Thread poster: Mariela Diaz-Butler
Mariela Diaz-Butler
Mariela Diaz-Butler
United States
Local time: 13:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 2, 2009

Congratulations on winning your bid to host the Olympics in 2016! Hurray for South America!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-10-03 03:28 GMT]

Tonia Wind
Tonia Wind
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:49
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
It is a wonderful step forward for Brazil.... Oct 2, 2009

I was thrilled with the news that Brazil was chosen to host the 2016 Olympics. I plan to be there with my family!

I think that it is going to be a wonderful chance for Brazil to show the world what a magnificent country it is and what it has to offer the rest of the world. I think that it will also mean a great deal of foreign interest and investment in the country over the following years. I happen to be biased, but I think that Brazil is one special country!...
See more
I was thrilled with the news that Brazil was chosen to host the 2016 Olympics. I plan to be there with my family!

I think that it is going to be a wonderful chance for Brazil to show the world what a magnificent country it is and what it has to offer the rest of the world. I think that it will also mean a great deal of foreign interest and investment in the country over the following years. I happen to be biased, but I think that Brazil is one special country!

Parabéns Brasil!
Collapse

blomguib (X)
blomguib (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:49
English to Flemish
+ ...
let´s wait and see Oct 3, 2009

I think so too that it would be a wonderful opportunity for BR...I keep thinking that BR has an enormous potential....however; let us wait and see what will actually be done and achieved by 2016...let us wait and see who will in practice benefit from all these alleged investments, both from abroad and from within....
5 years in BR have left me pretty cautious and disappointed when it comes to the discrepancy between the positive ways things are always presented here (we have to keep the po
... See more
I think so too that it would be a wonderful opportunity for BR...I keep thinking that BR has an enormous potential....however; let us wait and see what will actually be done and achieved by 2016...let us wait and see who will in practice benefit from all these alleged investments, both from abroad and from within....
5 years in BR have left me pretty cautious and disappointed when it comes to the discrepancy between the positive ways things are always presented here (we have to keep the population happy, haven´t we?) and what in practice is done (or better, is NOT done).....to give you an example; they have been building a metro here for almost 20 (twenty) years, and the first part of a line or the first station has yet to be finished....the amount of effort and money that has been injected in this project is huge, monstrous even....but has only benefitted a very limited group of people...so let us wait and see...and not set our hopes too high!..people here are so used to low standards, to things going wrong, to doing things halfway, to everyday violence that they have come to think of those things as just being normal....and in that case, it is VERY hard to actually turn things around an REALLY make a change...however; in view of the fact that I personally know quite a few Brazilians (although they do represent a statistic minority) who try to do things differently, I remain hopeful...if not, I would´t be living here anymore!....caution is nevertheless a very nice principle when dealing with politics and politicians, BE IT IN BRAZIL OR ANYWHERE ELSE IN THE WORLD!

[Edited at 2009-10-03 01:32 GMT]
Collapse

Laureana Pavon
Laureana Pavon  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...

Olympics + World Cup finals Oct 3, 2009

This is simply amazing: Two major events in Brazil, just two years apart.
Obviously, we Uruguayans are already making travel plans to visit our neighbors on both occasions.
Congrats!
Laureana

Veronica Martinez
Veronica Martinez  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Congrats from neighbors Argentina!! Oct 3, 2009

Yes, yes, we Argentines think that we are "la crème de la crème" but deep down, we envy Brasil, and wish we were like them!!

You are cheerful people, you have the best music, the best beaches, and yes, the best futbol, and you soooo deserve this international recognition!!

I love Brasil and many friends of mine do too, and the Worldcup and Olympics are like the best excuses to visit you again, I'll be there!!
I'm so proud of Brasil representing Latin America!!<
... See more
Yes, yes, we Argentines think that we are "la crème de la crème" but deep down, we envy Brasil, and wish we were like them!!

You are cheerful people, you have the best music, the best beaches, and yes, the best futbol, and you soooo deserve this international recognition!!

I love Brasil and many friends of mine do too, and the Worldcup and Olympics are like the best excuses to visit you again, I'll be there!!
I'm so proud of Brasil representing Latin America!!:)
It'll be great!
Collapse

Yolanda Bello Olvera
Yolanda Bello Olvera  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
Congratulations! Oct 3, 2009

What else can we say?

Maciej Kotarski
Maciej Kotarski  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
Congratulations Oct 3, 2009

and Good Luck from Poland/United Kingdom/Ireland

tradukwk2
tradukwk2
Local time: 18:49
Spanish to German
+ ...
congratulations Oct 3, 2009

felicidades Brasil e muita sorte nos jogos olimpicos

Mariusz Kuklinski
Mariusz Kuklinski  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
Congratulations and a wish Oct 3, 2009

And while you arrange the 2016 Olympics, wouldn't you take the 2012 as an extra, please?

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)
Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
Brazil, congratulations! :) Oct 3, 2009

Mariusz Kuklinski wrote:
And while you arrange the 2016 Olympics, wouldn't you take the 2012 as an extra, please?

Mariusz, that was mean)
cheers, Ewa

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Yay! Oct 4, 2009

Hey, if Rio can pull off CARNAVAL every year, the Olympics should be no problem!

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Newsletter Oct 4, 2009

Mariusz Kuklinski wrote:

I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. The good Lord knows there have been some fairly rubbish ideas tossed around the UK in recent years, but hosting the Olympics was surely the absolute worst. But good luck to Brazil anyway!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Congratulations from Spain! Oct 5, 2009

I live some 60 km from Madrid and it would have been my chance to enjoy the Olympics in person. It's somewhat sad that it did not go to Madrid, but I think Brazil needs this more than Madrid and, if they do it well, it will be a big help in the process of rescuing lots of people from poverty via employment, not only now but also after the Olympics.

So congratulations and all the best to beautiful Rio!

Andreas Nieckele
Andreas Nieckele  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
I feel a mix of happiness and concern Oct 5, 2009

I see two possible outcomes:

1 - In an unprecedented display of seriousness, commitment and proper administration, Brazil will actually be able to step up and prove to the world that we can behave like a "1st world" country.

2 - Millions will be diverted to politicians bank accounts and bribery, everything will be done halfway and the end result will be the most precarious Olympic games seen in recent years, successfully embarrassing the country before the entire world.
... See more
I see two possible outcomes:

1 - In an unprecedented display of seriousness, commitment and proper administration, Brazil will actually be able to step up and prove to the world that we can behave like a "1st world" country.

2 - Millions will be diverted to politicians bank accounts and bribery, everything will be done halfway and the end result will be the most precarious Olympic games seen in recent years, successfully embarrassing the country before the entire world.

Obviously my hopes lie with the first option. Sadly, after seeing how absolutely EVERYTHING turns out here, if I had to bet all my money on one of these 2 options, it would be option #2.

Sure, they may even come through with the construction work and the security (which would be an enormous accomplishment), but ever since the official announcement I can't stop picturing in my mind the sailing competitions taking place in the heavily polluted Guanabara bay, amidst floating garbage and - why not - dead bodies. A real pride!
Collapse

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
No to Rio 2016 Oct 7, 2009

It is unfortunate that the Olympics have come to Brazil.

Further to Andreas' post, another point is that most events will be in the wealthy Lagoa (rowing) and Barra da Tijuca neighbourhoods, meaning that the common resident of Rio shall hardly benefit at all. The tourists that are sure to flood the Marvellous City will only see the stretch from the airport to Barra, along the famous sun-soaked coastline with such musical names as Copacabana, Ipanema and so on, and the Sugar Loaf mou
... See more
It is unfortunate that the Olympics have come to Brazil.

Further to Andreas' post, another point is that most events will be in the wealthy Lagoa (rowing) and Barra da Tijuca neighbourhoods, meaning that the common resident of Rio shall hardly benefit at all. The tourists that are sure to flood the Marvellous City will only see the stretch from the airport to Barra, along the famous sun-soaked coastline with such musical names as Copacabana, Ipanema and so on, and the Sugar Loaf mountain.

The money could be better spent on social measures in Brazil. The public health system is a shambles to say the least; the school system is very poor and in many places students are packed 50 to a class in "escolas de lata" (improvised schools made of metal containers); federal roads are so bad (especially in the Amazon region) that lorries get bogged down in the mud with loss of cargo; public transport very bad - only one long-distance rail service in the whole country and that operated by a private company - not to mention corruption which permeates Congress, the police force and so on...

As Andreas well points out, there is always a hope that it will work out, but I worry. I think any of the other options would have been better.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Congratulations to my Brazilian friendson winning your bid to host the Olympics in 2016!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »