Borana Moisiu
Borana Moisiu
Albania
Local time: 12:57
English to Albanian
+ ...
Oct 6, 2003

Preventing Breast Cancer Part I: Lifestyle and Health

October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. With new cases expected to occur in an estimated 211,300 women in the United States in 2003, lowering the chances of breast cancer is important. The following lifestyle changes may help prevent or decrease your breast-cancer risk:
Get active. Regular physical activity (at least 30 minutes on most days) has been shown to be protective against breast cancer.
Supplemen
... See more
Preventing Breast Cancer Part I: Lifestyle and Health

October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. With new cases expected to occur in an estimated 211,300 women in the United States in 2003, lowering the chances of breast cancer is important. The following lifestyle changes may help prevent or decrease your breast-cancer risk:
Get active. Regular physical activity (at least 30 minutes on most days) has been shown to be protective against breast cancer.
Supplement wisely. Folic acid, vitamin D and antioxidants all may help.
Reduce exposure to xenoestrogens. Chemical toxins that have estrogen-like activity, such as common pesticides, industrial pollutants and hormone residues in meat, poultry and dairy products should be limited.
Avoid exposure to radiation. Limiting the number of chest x-rays, especially at a young age, may decrease the risk of breast cancer.
Maintain your health care. Early detection is key: in addition to monthly self examinations, women between age 20 and 39 should have a clinical breast exam performed by a health care professional at least every three years; women 40 years of age or older should have annual breast exams and mammograms.
Keep your genetics in mind. If you have close relatives with breast cancer, you are at a higher risk. Let your doctor know your family history, and discuss other ways you can help to prevent breast cancer.

To be continued tomorrow with Preventing Breast Cancer Part II: Diet.

I believe this is an extremely important issue of our society, wheather you are a woman, or a man (every man has at least one important woman in his life: his mother). I hope that you do not find this posting inappropriate.

Regards,
Borana Moisiu
Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 06:57
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Thanks Borana Oct 6, 2003

You reminded me to post the following message again

The Breast Cancer site is having trouble getting enough people to click on it daily to meet their quota of donating at least one free mammogram a day to an underprivileged woman.
It takes less than a minute to go to their site and click on "donating a mammogram" for free (pink window in the middle). This doesn't cost you a thing.
Their corporate sponsors/advertisers use the number of daily visits to donate mammogram in
... See more

The Breast Cancer site is having trouble getting enough people to click on it daily to meet their quota of donating at least one free mammogram a day to an underprivileged woman.
It takes less than a minute to go to their site and click on "donating a mammogram" for free (pink window in the middle). This doesn't cost you a thing.
Their corporate sponsors/advertisers use the number of daily visits to donate mammogram in exchange for advertising. Please tell ten friends to tell
ten today!

Here's the web site! Pass it along to people you know.
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com

AGAIN, PLEASE TELL 10 FRIENDS TO TELL 10 TODAY!
Collapse

Borana Moisiu
Borana Moisiu
Albania
Local time: 12:57
English to Albanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Preventing Breast Cancer Part II: Diet Oct 7, 2003

Yesterday's Daily Tip discussed lifestyle changes that may help lower the risk of breast cancer. Today's Tip covers diet and nutrition and how they can affect your breast cancer risk. Try incorporating the following into your diet and life:
Keep your fat content low. Below 25 percent of your daily calories is ideal.
Avoid animal fats, polyunsaturates (many vegetable oils) and hydrogenated oils (margarines and vegetable shortenings) - all can increase cancer risks.
Use health
... See more
Yesterday's Daily Tip discussed lifestyle changes that may help lower the risk of breast cancer. Today's Tip covers diet and nutrition and how they can affect your breast cancer risk. Try incorporating the following into your diet and life:
Keep your fat content low. Below 25 percent of your daily calories is ideal.
Avoid animal fats, polyunsaturates (many vegetable oils) and hydrogenated oils (margarines and vegetable shortenings) - all can increase cancer risks.
Use healthy fats: monounsaturates such as olive oil, and freshly-ground flaxseed and fish such as salmon and sardines (which are rich in omega-3 fatty acids) may reduce your risk of breast cancer.
Include soy products in your diet. Tofu, tempeh and miso provide weak, plant-based estrogens which may lower your breast cancer risk.
Eat cabbage and cruciferous vegetables. Broccoli, kale and collard greens may help block estrogen from other sources, such as environmental pollutants.
Avoid alcohol. It can increase your breast-cancer risk by increasing estrogen levels.
Minimize your consumption of ordinary meat, poultry, eggs and dairy products. Replace with organic, hormone-free versions, or cut way down on animal foods.
Eat more fruits and vegetables! They contain many different cancer-protective phytochemicals.

Reference: Andrew Weil, M.D.
Collapse

murat Karahan
murat Karahan  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 13:57
English to Turkish
+ ...
Many thanks to you both Oct 7, 2003

Noone's immune to the pain and the suffering and even worse the fear that breast cancer could bring about, be it even a man. Having learned the true meaning of mastectomy and lumpectomy, I've added the link to my bookmarks Claudia, thanks. A small note, 1 of 100 breast cancer patients is a male.

Claudia Iglesias wrote:

Their corporate sponsors/advertisers use the number of daily visits to donate mammogram in exchange for advertising. Please tell ten friends to tell
ten today!

Here's the web site! Pass it along to people you know.
http://www.thebreastcancersite.com

AGAIN, PLEASE TELL 10 FRIENDS TO TELL 10 TODAY!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tip: Preventing Breast Cancer - Part I

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »