Do I have to be a member?
Thread poster: Lisa103
Oct 8, 2009

Hi. I'm new to Proz.com. At this point, I'm not a member yet. But I wonder if non-member can get the translation job. If there is very little chance for non-member, I think I should become a member... Membership seems a bit expensive.

Please give me some advice!

Thank you.

Lisa

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-10-09 07:53 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Christina Paiva  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:14
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Welcome! Oct 9, 2009

Hi Lisa!

Proz.com is a huge site with many resources for translators. I became a member in June, but first I explored the site and learned that besides being able to get jobs, you can learn a lot about translations, translators, get help and help others and make friends!

As a member I get some offers directly to my e-mail and have access to information users don't. But still you can make yourself visible by completing your profile, answering/asking questions at Kudoz, read forums and more

There are other threads where you can get detailed info about membership and jobs.

I tried to find a link for you, but couldn't ..

Anyway, you should start by reading the FAQ section

Have fun

Christina

Edward Vreeburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:14
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Hi Lisa Oct 9, 2009

If you are a translator you should definately become a member, the Blue Board allows you to check out potential clients so you can see if they are thrustworthy or not. I inscribed muself as a none-paying member in 2002 and I only became a full member in 2008.
And I see all sorts of benefits of the membership (discounts, higher in the ranking).

Basically 1 or maybe 2 jobs will pay for you subscription - it's money well spend!

Ed

Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...

Being a member is a very good thing. Oct 9, 2009

Welcome to ProZ.com Lisa!

Christina gave good advice.

To add to it I just want to tell you that the directory is sorted according to membership (and KudoZ points).

So, if you want to be found by outsourcers, the chance is greater if you are a member.

Se also http://www.proz.com/testimonials

Best regards

Mats Wiman

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It very much depends on your situation Oct 9, 2009

Hm... This is an interesting question. In my opinion it very much depends on your personal situation at the moment and your immediate and long-term goals. Are you already a translator and have experience as a translator? Do you have customers already or are you looking for your first jobs as a translator? What are your source and target languages?

If you are already a translator and/or feel that you are already adequately prepared to pursue a career in translation, as a resident/citizen of the US I would encourage you to become a member of the American Translators Association, the ATA (www.atanet.org). As a member of the ATA and participating in ATA activities (maybe also by enlisting your state's translators association if one exists), you will learn many useful things that will help you in the long run. If you are good, you can as well do the ATA's certification exams, which is a solid credential and will indeed put you in an advantageous position to gain translation jobs.

Proz.com indeed has many advantages, but I'd say it is not for each and every translator out there as each of us has a different set of goals. So please tell us more about yourself so that I can give my opinion as to whether it makes sense or not for you at this stage.

Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:14
English to Japanese
+ ...
I too, was a non-member at first Oct 9, 2009

Lisa103 wrote:

Hi. I'm new to Proz.com. At this point, I'm not a member yet. But I wonder if non-member can get the translation job. If there is very little chance for non-member, I think I should become a member... Membership seems a bit expensive.

Please give me some advice!

Thank you.

Lisa

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-10-09 07:53 GMT]

Hello Lisa,

As written in my title to your reply, I was also a non-member (a basic site user of Proz) for more than 2 years.

Two main reasons I decided to be a member were:

a) Access to the BlueBoard
b) Being able to Quote on a job immediately after notification and not after 12 hours

For me, priority was BlueBoard, since even if I get inquiries from agencies/outsourcers, I wouldn't be able to check their trustworthiness if you are a non-paying member. I didn't want to get ripped off in the first place.

And as Mats wrote above, you get a better chance to be found by outsourcers, and as Edward pointed out, one or two jobs would pay for the membership fee. If you still have doubts, then leave it as is for now, and see how things go, since you can be a member anytime, or as an option, subscribe as a partial membership which is a bit cheaper than full membership.

Ulrike H
English to German
+ ...
was wondering the same thing Oct 9, 2009

Thanks for that question and the replies - I had been wondering the same thing. I recently joined this site, because I am almost done with university, and am now looking into different directions of what to do next, and translation is one of the things that interest me, but it is one of several things. I didn't study translation though, but various philologies. I did some translation courses at university, but it wasn't the main focus of my studies.

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:14
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Starting a translation business takes time Oct 9, 2009

It took me a year before I started getting large projects and two years before I could quit my full-time job.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do I have to be a member?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search