Off topic: The Boy who Harnessed the Wind
Thread poster: Claudia Alvis

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 12:54
Spanish
+ ...
Oct 8, 2009

I had to share this. I saw it last night on the Daily Show and it's one of the most inspirational things I've seen in a while. William Kamkwamba is a truly admirable young man. He tells his own story wonderfully, I'll just post the links, besides I don't want to spoil it.

His own blog: http://williamkamkwamba.typepad.com/

William's first time talking at TED in 2007: William Kamkwamba: How I built my family a windmill

William's second appearance at TED in 2009: William Kamkwamba: How I harnessed the wind

texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Wonderful. Oct 9, 2009

Absolutely.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:54
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks for the hint Claudia! Oct 9, 2009

Fantastic indeed. I have pre-ordered 6 copies from Amazon for family and friends. They must read this!
Take care,
Tomás

Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Inspiring story Oct 9, 2009

So thanks, too, for sharing.

I just read that USA President Obama has won the Peace Nobel Prize for this year, so what a nice coincidence that you posted this story just a few hours before the major news about Obama's winning.

I mean, not that there is any link between the two stories, but I think your story, like Obama's (in, of course, a wider sense), are inspiring examples of how barriers can be overcome by just always pushing yourself beyond what can sometimes be self-imposed limits.

Saluditos,

Ivette

Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:24
German to English
William K. - a real hero Oct 9, 2009

ICL wrote:
USA President Obama has won the Peace Nobel Prize for this year

Yeah, but personally I think William Kamkwamba would have been a better choiceicon_wink.gif

Thanks for sharing, Claudia!

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Please... Oct 9, 2009

ICL wrote:
I mean, not that there is any link between the two stories, but I think your story, like Obama's (in, of course, a wider sense), are inspiring examples of how barriers can be overcome by just always pushing yourself beyond what can sometimes be self-imposed limits.

Ahem... I honestly think the Nobel Prize of Peace is (nowadays) rather a Nobel Prize in marketing. If you can market yourself well, you can get the Prize. Examples of that are Mr. Obama (who honestly hasn't had much time to do anything so far about peace or about anything) and Mr. Al Gore (prize in 2007), whose achievement for peace mostly consists in succeeding in selling a TV show.

PS. Edited to add "(nowadays)."

[Edited at 2009-10-09 13:14 GMT]

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Obama Oct 9, 2009

I'm still shocked about that. I don't even know that to think.

Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Great one Oct 9, 2009

Thank you Claudia for sharing this!icon_smile.gif

Gianni

Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Obama (@ Claudia) Oct 9, 2009

Claudia Alvis wrote:

I'm still shocked about that. I don't even know [w]hat to think.

Quick comment about Obama (since you, the topic starter, also mentioned him).

In spite of my previous comment here, I tweeted about this earlier today and I was, probably like most people, surprised by how soon he was awarded this prize, as reflected in the following New Yorker tweet/article:

www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/georgepacker/2009/10/beware-premature-prizes.html

I am sure this will become (yet) another polemic decision by the NP Academy.icon_smile.gif

Mohamed Mehenoun  Identity Verified
Algeria
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
Amazing !! Oct 9, 2009

I loved it !

But what stroke me more was that : http://www.ted.com/talks/chimamanda_adichie_the_danger_of_a_single_story.html

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks Mohamed Oct 10, 2009

Mohamed Mehenoun wrote:
I loved it !
But what stroke me more was that : http://www.ted.com/talks/chimamanda_adichie_the_danger_of_a_single_story.html

Yes, also a good thing to watch.

As a comment about Chimamanda's very valid point, I just wanted to say that the neverending cycle of discovery-assumption-surprise-change of mind>discovery-assumption... is simply natural to the human being.

Indeed young children are very impressionable and little things can make them go in one direction or the other in their whole lives. But that is also good for parents and the world, as this mechanism gives us a chance to teach our children good and valuable things like respecting others, living with different people, coping with changes, loving nature, being honest and positive, being humble, etc. If we manage to teach them these things at an early age, it will always be there and will work for them and for others.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
READ IT!!! Apr 1, 2010

Those of you who bought a copy of "The buy who harnessed the wind"... Make sure you read it and share it with others.

I bought the book just to support the cause and it stayed in my office for months. Now I have read it and, honestly, I would make this compulsory reading in high school.

Please make sure you read your copy. I promise you will not be disappointed and will see many things differently. Clearly not a story for the faint of heart, but very enlightening indeed.

I must thank Claudia for sharing this in the first place.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The Boy who Harnessed the Wind

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search