Thread poster: PRAKAASH

PRAKAASH  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 00:31
Member (2007)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Oct 15, 2009

'Deepavali' is a hindu festival celebrated widely all over India by all Indians irrespective of their religions and castes. The scene of celebration is spectacular one as it is celebrated with lots of crackers, sweets and worships offered in front of hindu gods. Majorly Lord Ganesh (son of Supreme god, mahadev Shiva and Parvati) and Goddess of wealth, Laxmi is worshipped in hindu homes across the world.
Pious 'Swastik' sign is drawn or pasted in the sides of the idols of both Laxmi and Ganesha with the words 'Shubh' and 'Labh'. 'Shubh' means 'Pious' and 'Labh' means 'Profit'. In many homes, lights are remained switched on and all windows/doors are remained opened at night as it is a belief that Goddess 'Laxmi' comes at night and enters those houses which are clean and enlightened. Because of this reason, hindu prefers to get their homes whitewashed before Deepavali.

Deepavali means line/queue of 'diyas'. It is a general belief that Lord Rama returned to Ayodhya after 14 years of exile and was welcomed in such a manner by the people of Ayodhya city that they enlightened 'diyas' on the paths. Since then, this tradition of enlightening the diyas or candles was initiated.

It's lovely to hear that many countries like Australia, USA etc will also be celebrating this occasion! I request all of you to celebrate this auspicious occasion with the Indian communities living nearby yourselves.

Happy Deepavali (also known as 'festival of lights') to all of my Prozian friends! May Goddess Laxmi and Lord Ganesh bless all of us with wealth and wisdom.
Best Wishes!
PRAKASH SHARMA
Freelance Translator of Hindi, Nepali, Sanskrit and English to four of the same languages.

Direct link Reply with quote

Helen Shiner  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:01
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
Diwali in the UK Oct 15, 2009

Happy Deepavali to you, too, PRAKAASH! Here is some information about how Diwali is celebrated in the UK:

http://www.ukstudentlife.com/Ideas/Album/Diwali.htm

India
Member (2007)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Deepavali in U.K. and Annakoot Oct 15, 2009

Helen Shiner wrote:

Happy Deepavali to you, too, PRAKAASH! Here is some information about how Diwali is celebrated in the UK:

http://www.ukstudentlife.com/Ideas/Album/Diwali.htm

This link gives some very good pictures! Hope you will also enjoy fireworks and all these ceremonies this year.

'Annakoot' is celebrated on next day of Deepavali. I use to serve voluntarily this day by helping people/communities in serving food to poors etc and donate my part of money as much as possible for the same purpose. This day, 'Goddess Annapoorna' i.e. 'Maa Annapurnaa' (in Hindu religion, all goddess are popularly named as 'Maa/mata/Mother') is worshipped.

I remember my neighbours saying to their kids, when they didn't eat their meals "Don't waste food else goddess Annapurnaa will curse you" (means don't let your food go waste)!. 'Anna' literally means 'grain/rice' of which 'chapati/bread' is made up of. Rice is also eaten in boiled form. 'Poorna' means to fill. 'A' is a suffix which makes this word feminine (as per Sanskrit grammar rule). So, literally 'Annapoornaa' is the name of goddess who fills the stores of households with enough amount of grains and rice.

HAPPY DEEPAVALI TO YOU AGAIN!

BEST WISHES!
PRAKAASH

[Edited at 2009-10-15 23:35 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-10-15 23:38 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-10-15 23:39 GMT]

India
Member (2007)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wishes in HIndi language Oct 16, 2009

Also, I have posted wishes in Hindi language, which has few sanskrit and nepali words also. Please follow the below mentioned link:

http://www.proz.com/forum/hindi/148237-दीपावली_और_धन_तेरस_की_हार्दिक_शुभकामनाएं.html

Sushan Harshe
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
My friend Pakku and to all Proziens! Oct 16, 2009

Happy Dipawali!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wishing everyone 'A Very Happy Deepavali'

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search