Off topic: Questionnaire about Coriolis force
Thread poster: Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:18
Czech to German
+ ...
Nov 13, 2009

Hello,

a friend of mine sent me the link to a short questionnaire about the Coriolis force, asking me to spread the word. At the moment he's doing research at Cambridge university about the hypothesis, that people living north and south of the equator are behaving differently as to which direction they prefer when turning round and that this preference is showing a more pronounced effect when they have been living nearer to the poles for a long time.

As there are colleagues of all parts of the world here at proz.com I thought it would not be a bad idea to ask you to have a look at this link (for the questions you may choose between English, Czech and both simplified and traditional Chinese)

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=UwHVtokUV2_2feTCzjalsnJQ_3d_3d

and maybe you will think about which leg you are using first when putting on your trousers next time

Have fun!

Charlotte

If you want to contact him directly here's the adress:

Jan Stochl
Department of Kinanthropology
Charles University
Jose Martiho 31, 162 52 Prague
The Czech Republic
Phone: +420 777574778
Email: stochl@centrum.cz

Direct link Reply with quote

avsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Interesting! Nov 13, 2009

We just had a good laugh at the office trying to figure out the answers to these questions

I hope we'll hear about the results!

Amy Duncan  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:18
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Fascinating! Nov 13, 2009

Enjoyed this...I just posted it on my status in Facebook.

Laureana Pavon  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 16:18
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...

Intriguing Nov 13, 2009

How interesting!

It never ceases to amaze me the things that people research As an engineer, linking the Coriolis force to human behavior would never have crossed my mind.

I've completed the survey, I hope we'll hear about the results.

[Edited at 2009-11-13 15:53 GMT]

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Left- or right-handedness not considered? Nov 13, 2009

If I am not mistaken, this force twists slow-growing tree trunks and makes tornados always turn clockwise or anticlockwise depending on the hemisphere.
But these phenomena are not driven by brains, hence left or right-handedness is not an issue.
I'd be interested in seeing how nature affects behaviours if anything, because I would be surprised that anybody could sense such force as it is almost nothing compared to gravity.

Philippe

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
That's the point Nov 13, 2009

Philippe Etienne wrote:

If I am not mistaken, this force twists slow-growing tree trunks and makes tornados always turn clockwise or anticlockwise depending on the hemisphere.
But these phenomena are not driven by brains, hence left or right-handedness is not an issue.
I'd be interested in seeing how nature affects behaviours if anything, because I would be surprised that anybody could sense such force as it is almost nothing compared to gravity.

Philippe

AFAICS, that's the whole point of the research: To verify whether handedness is influenced by the coriolis force. In other words: Is being right-handed an evolutionary advantage due to the coriolis force?

Michael Barnett
Local time: 14:18
English
+ ...
I hope this "research" is not government funded. Nov 13, 2009

Whether you are located in the northern hemisphere or the southern hemisphere, the so-called Coriolis force would exert opposite effects depending on whether you were facing north or south. Any supposed biological effect should cancel itself statistically.

Michael

Julie Dion  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:18
English to French
fictitious force Nov 14, 2009

Philippe Etienne wrote:

Actually, you are mistaken

This fictitious "force" only acts on large scale motion (not tornados, not the way bath water flows around the drain and certainly not tree growth). It makes low pressure systems flow counter-clockwise in the N. hemisphere and clockwise in the S. hemisphere. It also affects long range missiles.

It is not even a real force, it is an apparent force due to the rotation of the Earth.

Can't wait to see the conclusion of this study, though

xxxjacana54  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Re: question about getting up from the desk... Nov 14, 2009

Note: I did it the "easy" way, due to the placement of furniture.

Jenny Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:18
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Unlocking the door, etc. Nov 15, 2009

I agree. Sometimes which hand you use depends on the configuration of the furniture, etc. For example, although I'm normally right-handed, I unlock my door with my left hand because of the position of the door and the lock. Same applies to turning round at my desk - it's because of the layout of the furniture in that particular room. And as to twirling generally, I'm a keen ballroom dancer and so I've learned to turn either way equally happily (when properly led by my partner), so I don't think that has anything to do with the Coriolis effect.
Again, although right-handed, I always the mouse with my left hand, don't know why, and am totally cack-handed at someone else's computer where the mouse is positioned on the right and have to move it over, thus upsetting their desk layout, spilling their pencils on the floor and so on ...
Will we be able to see the outcome of this survey?
What about another one based on the tides - the pull of the sun and moon together (spring tides) or against one another (neap tides). Are we humans also affected by that? I'm concious of tides because I live beside the sea.
I'm rambling a bit, I guess, but this is an "off topic" thread, after all.
Jenny

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:18
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Political influence Nov 15, 2009

Sure, if the Coriolis force affects human behaviour, an interesting field of investigation could be to study if people living north and south of the equator have a tendency to left or to the right in politics, and this could be related to their proximity or distance from the poles.

G.

[Edited at 2009-11-15 21:57 GMT]

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Homework not done Nov 16, 2009

Julie Dion wrote:
Actually, you are mistaken...

Thank you for challenging wrong statements. All I seem to remember 25 years after high-school mechanics are urban legends and the Foucault pendulum (small-scale motion over a long period of time), but quoting it was far less exciting.
I confess I hadn't done my homework before posting.
efreitag wrote:
AFAICS, that's the whole point of the research: To verify whether handedness is influenced by the coriolis force....

I wouldn't bet my (left) hand on it: the survey is built to see if "people living north and south of the equator are behaving differently...". I know this is not a thoroughly scientific survey, but handedness interferes because independently of the hemisphere, left- and right-handers behave differently for a fact. Taking a subgroup of left- (or right-) handers in each hemisphere and assessing their differences removes the bias if more left-(or right-) handers than the global average replied to the questionnaire and blurred global end results.
Michael Barnett wrote:
the so-called Coriolis force would exert opposite effects depending on whether you were facing north or south...

Good one. However the survey, if I understood well, is likely to be more about behavioural change after being exposed for generations to visible natural effects of the Coriolis force. The magnitude of the Coriolis force cannot really be "felt".

By the way, are there any visible natural effects of the Coriolis force at a human scale if urban legends are legends?

Philippe

Do not worry, it is not funded by government:-) Dec 12, 2009

Michael Barnett wrote:

Whether you are located in the northern hemisphere or the southern hemisphere, the so-called Coriolis force would exert opposite effects depending on whether you were facing north or south. Any supposed biological effect should cancel itself statistically.

Michael

Hi Michael, I made this since I was interested about the predictors of human rotation. It could be the handedness, "footedness" or maybe something else, e.g. Coriolis force? There are some clues that it influences animals so why not us? And concerning your idea, watch the following video and you will see that this fictitious force will deflect you one direction (clockwise or anticlockwise) irrespective whether you facing north or south. it is matter of whether you are on northern or southern hemisphere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcPs_OdQOYU&feature=related

Jan

David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not force, effect Dec 12, 2009

Julie Dion wrote:

It is not even a real force, it is an apparent force due to the rotation of the Earth.

In fact, it is more properly termed "Coriolis effect".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_effect

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Questionnaire about Coriolis force

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search