Off topic: More than ten years later, this still sends shivers down my spine
Thread poster: Sindy Cremer

Sindy Cremer

Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Nov 15, 2009

Legendary... Fantastic... Great Music... Need I say more?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INkLVwtIr_I

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 07:53
Spanish
+ ...
Thank you Nov 15, 2009

Has it been that long? Those kids can never grow old. Thank you.

Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:23
German to English
Thanks Nov 15, 2009

I've got the CD, and this reminded me that I haven't listened to it for a long timeicon_smile.gif

Not too sure about the German subtitles, though.....

Sindy Cremer

Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Niraja Nov 15, 2009

I agree, I wasn't happy about the German subtitles either, but then I thought - hell, It's the music I care about - not the subtitles ...!icon_smile.gif

Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:53
German to English
Beautiful Nov 15, 2009

Thank you, Sindy. Beautiful music and beautiful city. I have often dreamed of casually strolling through Havana in a white suit, like Alec Guinness in Our Man in Havana.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:53
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Can they play anything else? Nov 15, 2009

These guys seem to play always the same piece. Sorry, they do not interest me at all. But sympathetic people they must be.
Cheers
Heinrich

Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 14:53
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Aaaahhh... Nov 15, 2009

Great track, best trumpet solo ever, amazing feel! Thank you for the remindericon_smile.gif
G

Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:53
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Beautiful music Nov 15, 2009

So soulful....can't we just appreciate this divine expression without putting politics in the middle?

Tom Tyson  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:53
German to English
Ry Cooder relegated? Nov 15, 2009

I could do with hearing more of Ry Cooder in the mix. The man's a genius, but you can barely make out what he's playing on this one, even though you can see him clearly in the vid.

Aguas de Mar (X)
More than that one music... Nov 15, 2009

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

These guys seem to play always the same piece. Sorry, they do not interest me at all. But sympathetic people they must be.
Cheers
Heinrich

Hi Henrich,
Are you referring to Ry Cooder or to the members of the Buenavista Social Club?
The Cuban artists had a lifetime of music before Cooder discovered them. Cooder's merit was to bring back the old Cuban rhythms, and to market them Occidental style, which is no small feat, but I believe that the greatest merit lies with the Cuban musicians. If you care to check the net, you will find their discography both before and after Cooder. I particularly like Compay Segundo, but I agree is a type of music that might not be interesting to all people.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
one name to mention in this context... Nov 15, 2009

Wim Wenders.

And btw dont reduce it all to these 5 minutes on YouTube, get the whole film. With the starting shot of Ry and his son riding the motor along Malecon, sea waves breaking over the wall and that bass line putting you in that special frame of mind...

PS: Heinrich, they can play other notes too;)

[Edited at 2009-11-15 17:42 GMT]

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Thank you Nov 15, 2009

It doesn't feel like it's been 10 years. The rhythm will always stay young, and the film is always worth watching.

Thank you for sharing.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

More than ten years later, this still sends shivers down my spine

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search