Off topic: Holiday planning: Hotel Tivoli Marina Portimao, Portugal - any experiences?
Thread poster: Jerzy Czopik

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:27
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Nov 15, 2009

Our last holiday was really good, even if the location of the Alfamar Beach Ressort hotel, where we were, was a bit suspect at the begining. The travel agency gives Albufeira as location, because it is the nearest city. However and fortunately, the hotel was not located in this troublesome city, but in Praia de Falesia, very quiet and really lovely near to the beach.
We would like to go again to Portugal, but not necessarilly to the same hotel.
When looking for offers, I've found this one: http://www.tivolihotels.com/hotels-portugal/destination/algarve/hotel_marina_portimao/slide-show/list.aspx
All descriptions look fine, however the location might be more troublesome...
We (my wife an me) do not look for discos and night life, but need a guiet place...
Maybe someone knows this hotel or at least the location and could share this information with me.

Thanks a bunch
Best regards
Jerzy

Magdalena Szewciów  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2008)
English to Polish
+ ...
Hilton Vilamoura ? Nov 15, 2009

http://www.hiltonworldresorts.com/Resorts/Vilamoura/index.html#Vilamoura%20index%20%20%20

We went there 2 years ago and quite enjoyed it (though somebody else paid for the stayicon_wink.gif so double the enjoyment). I found it quite a relaxing and peaceful place to stay. The resort itself is quite remote from the beach and from what one could call a "city centre", but you mentioned looking for somewhere quiet.

+ rates are close to the Tivoli Marina

HTH

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well, if someone else pays... Nov 15, 2009

Thank you very much indeed for the tip.
However I am not sure, if you have checked the price for 2 weeks holiday at Hilton...
Compared with the hotel in question it would be neraly 4 times more.
And I am just a translator, so I think I stick to a 4* hotel instead of 5*icon_smile.gif

Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:27
Italian to English
Tripadvisor Nov 15, 2009

Hi Jerzy

Do you know this site?
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g189120-d305561-Reviews-Tivoli_Marina_Portimao-Portimao_Algarve.html.

Enjoy your holiday.
Russell

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tripadvisor Nov 15, 2009

Hi Russell

Thanks a bunch - I've found the German part of this site.
Must admit, that some English descrciptions vary from the German and there are some terrible resumes thereicon_frown.gif
This is why I ask here - here are people I can trust more than elswhere.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 20:27
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Use google Earth Nov 16, 2009

You can chose your location in Google Earth and see the services (hotels, restaurant etc.) at the same time, When you click on a hotel icon, you see the comments and can look up the web-site and see the rates and other details.
But the icons are sometimes not always exactly at the right spot. Often you can also "drive" around the location and see how it looks from street level. Did that in Queens and on Madeira.

Regards
Heinrich

Catriona Thomas
German to English
Holiday in Portugal - Portimao and nearby Nov 16, 2009

I have just returned from the Portimao area in Portugal. I was staying in the Dom Joao II run by the Pestana group in Alvor. It is a very pleasant 4* hotel located directly on the beach there. Completely refurbished last year. Not worth booking half-board though. The town itself is nearby (about 7 minutes on foot) and seemed surprisingly intact with some nice restaurants down near the water.

Best regards,
Catriona Thomas

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:27
Dutch to English
+ ...
Don't know the specific hotel Nov 16, 2009

I live in Algarve, so know the area well and personally wouldn't touch Portimão with a barge pole. Same problems as Albufeira, as well as no charm and too many high-rise apartment blocks. There are far nicer places to stay here.

I'd say avoid towns like Albufeira, Portimão, Quarteira and Armação de Pera at all costs.

If you are looking to stay in western Algarve (Barlavento), the best spots are from Lagos onwards, but you'll need a car.

Best of luck
Debs

[Edited at 2009-11-16 09:17 GMT]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your valuable insights Nov 16, 2009

And Debs, you confirmed what I was afraid of.
Maybe we will repeat the one from last holiday, as this was a really nice place and away from Albufeira (6 kms approx.), far enough not to have all those drunk young people there.

Magdalena Szewciów  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2008)
English to Polish
+ ...
:) Nov 16, 2009

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Thank you very much indeed for the tip.
However I am not sure, if you have checked the price for 2 weeks holiday at Hilton...
Compared with the hotel in question it would be neraly 4 times more.
And I am just a translator, so I think I stick to a 4* hotel instead of 5*icon_smile.gif

Sorry Jerzy, didn't check that.icon_smile.gif

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Holiday planning: Hotel Tivoli Marina Portimao, Portugal - any experiences?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search