Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Off topic: Person's names and their meaning in another language
Thread poster: Cristina Bufi Poecksteiner, M.A.
Aleksandar Gasic
Aleksandar Gasic
Montenegro
Local time: 09:28
English to Serbo-Croat
+ ...
Scott Bakula Nov 19, 2009

In southern Montenegro, bakula means cockroach; and generally in BSC, skot (as it is pronounced) is an offensive term, "animal", or "beast" used to insult. Basically, his name would mean something like "bastard cockroach".
BTW, back in schooldays, kids had lots of laugh with my name when someone figured out that Aleksandar, read backwards, gives Radna Skela ((workers') scaffold).

mjbjosh
mjbjosh
English to Latvian
+ ...
On a different note Nov 21, 2009

Cristina intern wrote:

we all know that person's names should not be translated.

Unless they are popes' names or royals. These are translated in all languages known to me. Moreover, the former German king Karl V. is known as Carlos I to the people of Iberian peninsula. Also, in literary texts names are often translated if they have a certain connotation to them.

[Edited at 2009-11-21 11:05 GMT]

Trisha F
Trisha F  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
A tad drastic Nov 21, 2009

Cristina intern wrote:

we all know that person's names should not be translated.

It's not really that drastic, as mjbjosh said, royals' names are usually translated. According to Christiane Nord, names in books for children are also translated quite frequently. Javier Franco Aixela devoted a whole book to the translation of names, for example, so I wouldn't go as far as to say they are untouchable.

Aleksandar Gasic
Aleksandar Gasic
Montenegro
English to Serbo-Croat
+ ...
Agree Nov 21, 2009

I definitely agree with mjbjosh and Trisha. Although, I'd say names are more often adapted than translated. E.g. for the speakers of Bosnian/Serbian/Croatian, Charlemagne is usually not a recognizable name, but Karlo Veliki (veliki= big, grand, great...) is well known.
Or, take Marc Anthony in English... definitely not the name his contemporaries used to address him with.
There are so many examples.
As for the books... not just names in books for children. The first thing that
... See more
I definitely agree with mjbjosh and Trisha. Although, I'd say names are more often adapted than translated. E.g. for the speakers of Bosnian/Serbian/Croatian, Charlemagne is usually not a recognizable name, but Karlo Veliki (veliki= big, grand, great...) is well known.
Or, take Marc Anthony in English... definitely not the name his contemporaries used to address him with.
There are so many examples.
As for the books... not just names in books for children. The first thing that comes to my mind is Lord of the Rings. A whole lotta names were translated, and it nicely added to the experience of reading it.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Person's names and their meaning in another language

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »