Off topic: Feeling stressed out? You might want to read this letter then.
Thread poster: Monika Coulson

Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:00
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Oct 29, 2003

Dear Son,

I’m writing this slow, because I know you can’t read fast. We don’t live where we did when you left. Your Dad read in the paper that most accidents happen within 20 miles of your home, so we moved. I won’t be able to send you the address, as the Kentucky Family that lived here, took the numbers with them, for their next home, so they wouldn’t have to change their address.

This place has a washing machine. The first day I put four shirts in it, pulled the chain and haven’t seen them since.

It only rained twice this week, three days the first time, and four days the second time.

The coat you wanted me to send you – your Aunt Sue said it would be a little too heavy to send it in the mail with its heavy buttons, so we cut them off and put them in the pockets.

We got a bill from the funeral home – they said if we didn’t make the last payment on Grandma’s funeral, up she comes.

About your father – he has a lovely new job. He has over 500 people under him. He’s cutting grass at the cemetery.

About your sister – she had a baby this morning. I haven’t found out whether it is a boy or a girl, so I don’t know if you are an aunt or an uncle.

Your Uncle John fell in the whiskey vat. Some men tried to pull him out, but he fought them off playfully so he drowned. We cremated him. He burned for three days.

Three of your friends went off the bridge in the pickup. One was driving, the other two were in the back. The driver got out. He rolled the window down and swam to safety. The other two drowned – they couldn’t get the tailgate down.

Not much more news at this time, nothing much happened. Write more often.

Love,
Mom

p.s. Was going to send you some money, but the envelope was already sealed.

[Edited at 2003-10-29 17:37]

Direct link Reply with quote

Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:00
Member (2003)
German to French
My favourites Oct 29, 2003

About your sister – she had a baby this morning. I haven’t found out whether it is a boy or a girl, so I don’t know if you are an aunt or an uncle.

Your Uncle John fell in the whiskey vat. Some men tried to pull him out, but he fought them off playfully so he drowned. We cremated him. He burned for three days.

Thank you, I really needed something like that after a day like today !
Sylvain.

[Edited at 2003-10-29 17:58]

giogi
Local time: 04:00
I love the p.s., Oct 29, 2003

it's like a footnote explaining the context....and the whole letter reminds me of some Steinbeck's characters...!!!!

Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
I love it! Oct 29, 2003

Monika Coulson wrote:

I’m writing this slow, because I know you can’t read fast.

Yess! Please write more slowly to me, especially from page 20 on!!!

Magda

Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My very favourite one... Oct 29, 2003

was this:

He has over 500 people under him. He’s cutting grass at the cemetery.

Monika

[Edited at 2003-10-29 22:01]

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:30
English to Tamil
+ ...
And how about this gem? Oct 30, 2003

This place has a washing machine. The first day I put four shirts in it, pulled the chain and haven’t seen them since.
Regards,
N.Raghavan

Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
what a brilliant washing machine Oct 30, 2003

at least it saves on the ironing!

Fabiana Papastefani-Pezzoni  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 06:00
Member (2003)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Silly funny moments.... Oct 30, 2003

This is really funny.

Here it is a silly funny moment. Once I wanted to leave the key for my mom at my neighbor and in order for her to know where to find the key when home, I left her a letter explaining that. Guess where did I put the letter: on the table AT HOME!!!!! Gosh, I can’t believe I did that. Do you ever have a moment like that?

[Edited at 2003-10-30 10:59]

Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To Fabiana, Oct 30, 2003

Fabiana Papastefani-Pezzoni wrote:
Here it is a silly funny moment. I can’t believe I did that. Do you ever have a moment like that?

Dear Fabiana,
Welcome to the club. Join us here: http://www.proz.com/topic/14347

Të fala,
Monika

[Edited at 2003-10-30 14:42]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Feeling stressed out? You might want to read this letter then.

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search