Off topic: Lottery hoax
Thread poster: Astro Jaroslaw Rutkowski
Astro Jaroslaw Rutkowski
Astro Jaroslaw Rutkowski  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:13
Polish to English
+ ...
Oct 30, 2003

Beware!! I just received an e-mail from Mountain Lottery International saying that I won a large sum of money in an e-mail draw. Yeah, right! Just like that. So, I just wanted to warn you.
Jerry

Kemal Mustajbegovic
Kemal Mustajbegovic  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:13
English to Croatian
+ ...
Congratulations!!! Oct 30, 2003

[Edited at 2003-10-30 12:31]

Astro Jaroslaw Rutkowski
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 30, 2003

That means I won't have to work my butt off translating any more. Any islands for sale?

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 23:13
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
But some people do believe it! Oct 30, 2003

When talking about the Nigerian scam I had mentionned the lottery, and somebody found that discussion when surfing in the web and wrote to me telling that she had paid almost 4000 euros, and that they had all her Bank details and even her signature.

Maybe we (people working and using emails and Internet a lot) are aware of this, but I think that we can warn our friends and family about this kind of scam.

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:13
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Am I too late? Oct 30, 2003

Wow, I have won this lottary for the fifth time and always procrastinated replying. Better hurry and reply to their last offer, which I received this morning:

"RE: WINNING NOTIFICATION/FINAL NOTICE

We are pleased to inform you of the result of the of the COINGOGAMES Lottery International programs held on the 24th of October 2003... You have therefore been approved for a lump sum pay out of One Million United State Dollars (US$1,000,000)

CONGRATULATIONS!!!"<
... See more
Wow, I have won this lottary for the fifth time and always procrastinated replying. Better hurry and reply to their last offer, which I received this morning:

"RE: WINNING NOTIFICATION/FINAL NOTICE

We are pleased to inform you of the result of the of the COINGOGAMES Lottery International programs held on the 24th of October 2003... You have therefore been approved for a lump sum pay out of One Million United State Dollars (US$1,000,000)

CONGRATULATIONS!!!"

Hmmmm, what can I do with One Million Dollars??? Any ideas? I am affraid, no islands for sale left for me. All those Nigerian winners have already purchased them. Hmmmm, hmmmm, well, I got a big headache already, so better go back to translating

Monika

Jaroslaw Rutkowski wrote:

That means I won't have to work my butt off translating any more. Any islands for sale?

[Edited at 2003-10-30 16:30]
Collapse

María Alejandra Funes
María Alejandra Funes
Local time: 00:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not only by e-mail Oct 30, 2003

My husband got a letter in the mail, so this does not only circulate through e-mail. Be careful!

Regards,

ALE

Elinor Thomas
Elinor Thomas  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hey guys! Oct 30, 2003

Share a bit with the poor!

Klaus Herrmann
Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Deflation ahead Oct 30, 2003

Why bother with 1 Million Dollar Lottery money when one can have 25 Million Dollar from Nigeria.

Astro Jaroslaw Rutkowski
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Elinor! Oct 30, 2003

Elinor Thomas wrote:

Share a bit with the poor!

Yes, why don't we bail out the Argentinian economy with all this money? (although the Polish economy could use a boost as well). At least this money would be well spent, don't you think?

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
Are you kidding? Oct 30, 2003

Jaroslaw Rutkowski wrote:

Yes, why don't we bail out the Argentinian economy with all this money? (although the Polish economy could use a boost as well). At least this money would be well spent, don't you think?

Giving (even Nigerian) money to THIS government? No way

Astro Jaroslaw Rutkowski
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No way! Oct 30, 2003

Andrzej Lejman wrote:
Giving (even Nigerian) money to THIS government? No way

Never. What I meant was giving it to the poor people of this country, creating jobs with this money, but giving it to those who steal from us? Never!

Elinor Thomas
Elinor Thomas  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oupppssssssss ;-) Oct 30, 2003

Looks like I almost rose an argument...

I agree with Jarozlaw's idea, but not 100%, and... same goes with Andrzej.

Knowing my country and my people, I would not give the money to the people, but would invest in facilitating them mainly education and health. Educated people get creative, and find their own way to work. This is what is presently happening here among many communities. They grouped, and start
... See more

Knowing my country and my people, I would not give the money to the people, but would invest in facilitating them mainly education and health. Educated people get creative, and find their own way to work. This is what is presently happening here among many communities. They grouped, and started joint microventures.
Obviously, there are still looooooooots of people who want "daddy government" to give them everything.

On the other side, Andrzej, the present government is not doing bad at all. It's an overwhelming task to get the country, and it's people back to track. It will take many many years, but we'll manage.

IMHO

Cheers!
Collapse

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
I wish all the best Oct 31, 2003

Elinor Thomas wrote:

the Argentinian economy, people an government, but what I mentioned, was the POLISH government. I hope, it's clear now.
Andrzej

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lottery hoax

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »