Off topic: To all the translators In India
Thread poster: Ruchira Shukla
Ruchira Shukla
India
Local time: 17:33
English to Japanese
+ ...
Nov 10, 2003

What do you people think of Translation as a profession in India.. What sort of opportunities does it offer us .. Is it a good choice as a full term profession.. does free lancing give you enough jobs to make a decent living .. or is it too risky a thing to do….. for better opportunities should something else be added on to your language degree.. (Japanese degree plus MBA or a technical qualification ??)
I work as a Japanese translator in an IT firm and we go through the typical see saw of lots of projects – lots of work and no software projects so no work ..
Would love to have your opinions ..
Regards
Ruchira


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:03
German to English
+ ...
Translation in India Nov 10, 2003

I have recently been investigating the general picture of the profession in India. It seems that the Indian languages themselves are not accorded much status. Is this true? For instance, the Indian Scientific Translators Association has a directory of translators offering "foreign" languages at http://education.vsnl.com/ista/Dirconcise , but I can find no corresponding list of translators for the Indian languages.

I'm also surprised to see that no Indian organization is represented in the FIT.

Marc


Direct link Reply with quote
 

sandhya  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:33
German to English
+ ...
being self-employed has its risks... and Nov 11, 2003

... benefits!
I am a freelance translator since 12 years and have never worked for any company full-time! I make a great living, which has improved steadily over the years!

This applies to any profession, if you are self-employed!
However, if one is fresh out of college, I would not advise to jump into self-employment... one needs to gradually build up a clientele by producing quality work with efficiency and honesty!

all the best
sandhya


Ruchira Shukla wrote:

What do you people think of Translation as a profession in India.. What sort of opportunities does it offer us .. Is it a good choice as a full term profession.. does free lancing give you enough jobs to make a decent living .. or is it too risky a thing to do….. for better opportunities should something else be added on to your language degree.. (Japanese degree plus MBA or a technical qualification ??)
I work as a Japanese translator in an IT firm and we go through the typical see saw of lots of projects – lots of work and no software projects so no work ..
Would love to have your opinions ..
Regards
Ruchira


Direct link Reply with quote
 

sandhya  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:33
German to English
+ ...
true Nov 11, 2003

hi marc,

The translation industry in India is still in its nascent stage! It will take time to grow and to be accepted as an "honorable" profession!
As for Indian languages not being given much status.... altho India is a land of multiple languages, the official language is English (owing to the British rule) or Hindi.
Most translations in Indian languages are either for government work, or for literary work. Very few industries would translate their documents into Indian languages!

Hmmm, you are right the Indian translators need to get together and form an official organization... hopefully we will do that soon!

sandhya

MarcPrior wrote:

I have recently been investigating the general picture of the profession in India. It seems that the Indian languages themselves are not accorded much status. Is this true? For instance, the Indian Scientific Translators Association has a directory of translators offering "foreign" languages at http://education.vsnl.com/ista/Dirconcise , but I can find no corresponding list of translators for the Indian languages.

I'm also surprised to see that no Indian organization is represented in the FIT.

Marc


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Ruchira Shukla
India
Local time: 17:33
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well you are lucky ! Nov 11, 2003

Sandhya Murthy wrote:

... benefits!
I am a freelance translator since 12 years and have never worked for any company full-time! I make a great living, which has improved steadily over the years!

This applies to any profession, if you are self-employed!
However, if one is fresh out of college, I would not advise to jump into self-employment... one needs to gradually build up a clientele by producing quality work with efficiency and honesty!

all the best
sandhya


Ruchira Shukla wrote:

What do you people think of Translation as a profession in India.. What sort of opportunities does it offer us .. Is it a good choice as a full term profession.. does free lancing give you enough jobs to make a decent living .. or is it too risky a thing to doE. for better opportunities should something else be added on to your language degree.. (Japanese degree plus MBA or a technical qualification ??)
I work as a Japanese translator in an IT firm and we go through the typical see saw of lots of projects Elots of work and no software projects so no work ..
Would love to have your opinions ..
Regards
Ruchira

Well you are lucky sandhya !
Delhi has too many Japanese translators.. most of them from not so good – recently cropped up institutes and they are willing to work for peanuts . Hence bringing the whole market down !
Perhaps I should move out of Delhi !


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:03
German to English
+ ...
Translation in India Nov 11, 2003

Sandhya,

>>The translation industry in India is still in its nascent stage!


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

To all the translators In India

Advanced search






memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search