https://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/158924-what_are_sdl_buddies_or_marketing_that_turns_you_right_off.html

Off topic: What are SDL Buddies? Or marketing that turns you right off...
Thread poster: Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 19:15
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Feb 25, 2010

Hi Everyone!

The flashing banner at the top of my screen tells me that I can have a set of Trados buddies if I do something or other.
At no stage have I found any explanation of what they are or why I should want them.

Will they help me with Studio 2009?
Why can't I just carry on with the version I´ve got, which works most of the time, and is compatible with Wordfast, that I use as a backup?

Or are Buddies like so much other publicity from Tra
... See more
Hi Everyone!

The flashing banner at the top of my screen tells me that I can have a set of Trados buddies if I do something or other.
At no stage have I found any explanation of what they are or why I should want them.

Will they help me with Studio 2009?
Why can't I just carry on with the version I´ve got, which works most of the time, and is compatible with Wordfast, that I use as a backup?

Or are Buddies like so much other publicity from Trados - sheer hype? We´re the leaders because we say we are. Buy our product because it is bigger and more expensive than everyone else´s...

And BTW, you can win a set of Buddies...

Every time I go to the SDL website, I can tell SDL who I am... if I don't give up half way, because I can´t find the industry I work in on SDL´s list.
I am not convinced that COMMUNICATIONS is the right choice, but it is certainly not any of the others.

Then I can answer a lot of other questions, and finally, I just might win a whole set of Buddies.

Can someone please tell me who or what they are?

Happy translating, folks!

[Edited at 2010-02-25 07:47 GMT]
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Indeed! Feb 25, 2010

Dear Christine,

I'm glad you mention that, as I was thinking I am the only one to be taken in by SDL's daft marketing - well, obviously you were less gullible than I!

I received the "invitation" to fill in their survey, with the chance to win SDL "buddies" (which I, without investigating, understood to be some sort of software package). I wasn't particularly busy, so I decided to complete the survey, only to see afterwards what those "buddies" are: particularly stupid a
... See more
Dear Christine,

I'm glad you mention that, as I was thinking I am the only one to be taken in by SDL's daft marketing - well, obviously you were less gullible than I!

I received the "invitation" to fill in their survey, with the chance to win SDL "buddies" (which I, without investigating, understood to be some sort of software package). I wasn't particularly busy, so I decided to complete the survey, only to see afterwards what those "buddies" are: particularly stupid and cheap plastic toys bearing the company logo on their chest. People are supposed to take photos of those in various places to help SDL's ridiculous marketing scheme. Do people with their right minds really do that? Seemingly, yes, as some of those photos are indeed presented somewhere on the website. I suppose these have been shot by SDL marketing staff.

They really behave like some cheap doorstop salespeople trying to talk you into buying their set of handmade brushes...
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You mean the picture says it all? Feb 25, 2010

Thanks, efreitag, I simply could not believe they were just those garish plastic whatnots!!

If I really did save all the time SDL promises with Trados, instead of spending it on trying to persuade Multiterm to ignore Java updates, or persuading the latest new version to believe I have actually bought a licence, so it stops running in demo mode...

I would not feel the need to look at dust-collectors of the type I try to keep out of my limited workspace. ...

... See more
Thanks, efreitag, I simply could not believe they were just those garish plastic whatnots!!

If I really did save all the time SDL promises with Trados, instead of spending it on trying to persuade Multiterm to ignore Java updates, or persuading the latest new version to believe I have actually bought a licence, so it stops running in demo mode...

I would not feel the need to look at dust-collectors of the type I try to keep out of my limited workspace. ...

But it takes all sorts to make a world.

Collapse

Aguas de Mar (X)
Aguas de Mar (X)
Poor Trados Feb 25, 2010

I guess they are running out of tricks to promote their products...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are SDL Buddies? Or marketing that turns you right off...

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »