Off topic: What is your favourite book
Thread poster: Empty Whiskey Glass
Federica Jean
Federica Jean  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:27
English to Italian
+ ...
The Complete Father Brown Stories Nov 18, 2003

by G.K. Chesterton. For some reason, I never seem to get tired of it.

Another permanent fixture on my bed-table is Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes (the short stories only, though). Yeah, I know.

Alice in Wonderland and the Hunting of the Snark are always within reach, too.

Federica

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)
Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:27
I completely agree with you! Nov 18, 2003

Svetozar Georgiev wrote:

This is my question. Everyone of us has favourite book. Very often we read and reread this book, admiring the language, although we know every single letter, and wait to see what is going to happen (it might be different some day, who knows).

To me, the book that makes me admire the English language is "The Remains of the Day" by Kazuo Ishiguro. Being non-English by birth, he wrote a book, which was awarded for its elegant style of English. This is the book that possesses the true English style of narration. May be, by not being English, he managed to see what one cannot see if one is English.

Georgiev,
I would not be able to pick ONE book that I like the most. However, from the point of beauty of the English language, I had exactly the same impression you had when I first read "The Remains of the Day"... And the fact that English was not the author's first language only increased my admiration... But then again, I happen to believe that Milan Kundera´s prose in French is much more delectable than that of many French writers...

As you, say, it is probably because English is not our native tongue that we are more sensitive to the quality, I am not sure but, indeed, the reading of this particular Ishiguro's book is always a pleasure to me (I read another one from him and did not find the English as polished as in the Remains of the Day), comparabale to savouring the best piece of dark chocolate!

There might be some other English authors whose writing is as good as Ishiguro's; however, I have not come across their books yet, so any suggestions are welcome!

Seadeta Osmani
Seadeta Osmani  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
So hard to choose... Nov 18, 2003

... "Embers" by Sandor Marai; "A River Sutra" by Gita Mehta; "Hill above the clouds" by Vesna Krmpotic; ...

Oh, I could go on and on and on...

Happy readin'!

Seadeta

Thierry LOTTE
Thierry LOTTE  Identity Verified
Member (2001)
English to French
+ ...
The ones I love till madness Nov 18, 2003

" Belle du Seigneur" - Albert Cohen.
" L'Ecume des Jours" - Boris Vian.

Now I have just ended "The Age of Diamond" by Neal Stephenson. Probably one of the best S.F. novels of all times (with: "Standing on Zanzibar" by John Brunner).

mbc
mbc
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
so many! Nov 19, 2003

but three of my favorites for their beauty and simplicity:

Sostiene Pereira by Antonio Tabucchi

Bone by Fae Myenne Ng (a very under-rated novel by a very talented American writer)

Atemwende (Breathturn) by Paul Celan (I have a bilingual edition (German-English) translated by one of my heroes, Pierre Joris.

Melina Kajander
Melina Kajander
Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
Very easy... Nov 20, 2003

...It has to be "Lord of the Rings", no competition!!
(That's the greatest book ever written, how annoying that some people consider it a 'children's book'!!)

Another favourite for me is "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone", and this one I admit is more of a 'children's book', or better, for the ever-young-at-heart...!

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:27
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
"Flashman" books by George MacDonald Fraser Nov 20, 2003

The author has taken the character Flashman, the school bully in "Tom Brown's Schooldays"
and described his subsequent career throughout the 19th Century. Flashman is a despicable coward, bully and fraud, but the books are in the form of his own totally frank memoirs. He pursues a military career, and the books tell of his adventures in conflicts in Afghanistan, Russia, India, China and elsewhere. The author researches his subjects meticulously. I have learned more history of the Briti
... See more
The author has taken the character Flashman, the school bully in "Tom Brown's Schooldays"
and described his subsequent career throughout the 19th Century. Flashman is a despicable coward, bully and fraud, but the books are in the form of his own totally frank memoirs. He pursues a military career, and the books tell of his adventures in conflicts in Afghanistan, Russia, India, China and elsewhere. The author researches his subjects meticulously. I have learned more history of the British Empire and other aspects of the 19th Century from these books than I ever did at school.

[Edited at 2003-12-21 23:20]
Collapse

joannap
joannap  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:27
English to Polish
+ ...
three is a magic number Dec 13, 2003

1. "Dziady" A. Mickiewicz
2. "Silmarillion" J.R.R. Tolkien
3. "Pride and Prejudice" J. Austin

Yamato (X)
Yamato (X)
Bulgaria
Local time: 04:27
Russian to Spanish
+ ...
another planet Dec 21, 2003

Well, my favorite book is in fact a trilogy.

The Mars Trilogy (Red, green and blue Mars) by Kim Stanley Robinson.

I find it incredible the level of detail the achieves being such a long book.

But also, I speak about the characters as old, absent friends. It is SO touching...

Thierry LOTTE
Member (2001)
English to French
+ ...
For Pablo Dec 30, 2003

Hope you are right Pablo !

I just ordered these 3 volumes to "Amazon" .

If you are wrong, I will send you the bill...

Happy new year to all.

[Edited at 2004-01-03 20:32]

Yamato (X)
Yamato (X)
Bulgaria
Local time: 04:27
Russian to Spanish
+ ...
My friend! Jan 4, 2004

My Friend Thierry!

I find it nice that you took that interest on those books, just by my mention.

I hope you like them, we will certanly have the chance to discuss them.

Just a little side not: the first one is a bit thick at the beggining. But just keep on!

About the bill... well, at first I thought of giving you an enraged answer.
Then I though that, you being a moderator, it wouldn't be advisable.

But then again, the answ
... See more
My Friend Thierry!

I find it nice that you took that interest on those books, just by my mention.

I hope you like them, we will certanly have the chance to discuss them.

Just a little side not: the first one is a bit thick at the beggining. But just keep on!

About the bill... well, at first I thought of giving you an enraged answer.
Then I though that, you being a moderator, it wouldn't be advisable.

But then again, the answer came to my mind: we can always have a duel of fencing to settle the matter.

My best wishes to everyone this year 2004
Collapse

Thierry LOTTE
Member (2001)
English to French
+ ...
Trilogies Jan 4, 2004

Pablo said :

hope you like them, we will certanly have the chance to discuss them.

Hey ! I am confident that I will do it…
I have been always fond off « Trilogies » and while awa
... See more
Pablo said :

hope you like them, we will certanly have the chance to discuss them.

Hey ! I am confident that I will do it…
I have been always fond off « Trilogies » and while awaiitng true one I am considering that « The Gaïa Trilogy » (from John Varley) and The « Helliconia’s Trilogy » from Brian Aldiss.

Sure I will meet you soon in Sitges !

Friendly,

Thierry

[Edited at 2004-01-04 05:00]
Collapse

Rahi Moosavi
Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:27
Member (2004)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
My picks.... Jan 4, 2004

1984 - George Orwell
Catcher in the Rye - Salinger
Blindness - Jose Saramago
L'Alchimiste - Paulo Cuelho

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:57
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
My choice Jan 6, 2004

Harry Potter's five books of course. So enamoured of them that I am on the lookout for their French and German versions as well for their wonderful translation.
Regards,
N.Raghavan

Palko Agi
Palko Agi  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
The Name of the Rose Jan 8, 2004

by Umberto Eco - I have read it five times, I think, and planning to read it again soon... (very complex and a very good Hungarian translation)

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is your favourite book

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »