https://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/16007-a_victim_of_englands_postal_strikes_in_october.html

Off topic: A victim of England's postal strikes in October...
Thread poster: Gayle Wallimann
Gayle Wallimann
Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:42
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Nov 20, 2003

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I think that this might be the best place.
I was just wondering if anyone has had delayed payment due to the English postal strikes that ended a few weeks ago. I worked for an agency in England (I live in France), finished a project end of August, and they were to pay me by check around October 6th. Not having received payment at that date,I sent an email, received an answer saying there were postal strikes going on, would I wait another week. I wa
... See more
I wasn't sure where to post this, but I think that this might be the best place.
I was just wondering if anyone has had delayed payment due to the English postal strikes that ended a few weeks ago. I worked for an agency in England (I live in France), finished a project end of August, and they were to pay me by check around October 6th. Not having received payment at that date,I sent an email, received an answer saying there were postal strikes going on, would I wait another week. I waited until the 18th and wrote back to find out that the strikes were not over but that the check had been posted the day before. Would I wait a bit more until things got settled. The next day or so, I checked the Internet and found that the strikes were over. So, as I'm used to postal strikes here in France and I know that it takes time for mail to get "unclogged", I've been waiting. It's been a little more than 4 weeks now. I'm not questioning the agency, I worked for them before and they paid right on time. I'm just wondering if some of you were caught in this strike too, and if you have received anything yet. Thanks for your responses.
Gayle
Collapse

Bob Kerns (X)
Bob Kerns (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
No delays between England and Germany Nov 20, 2003

Hi Gayle,

Until I read your mail I didn't even know that there had been a postal strike in England. I get mail almost every day here in Germany from the UK including cheques (or even checks), magazines, private and business letters and also parcels from the UK and I have not experienced any delays this year in postal deliveries from England to Germany or vice versa.

I can only suggest that you ask your customer to pay your bills by bank transfer in the future.
... See more
Hi Gayle,

Until I read your mail I didn't even know that there had been a postal strike in England. I get mail almost every day here in Germany from the UK including cheques (or even checks), magazines, private and business letters and also parcels from the UK and I have not experienced any delays this year in postal deliveries from England to Germany or vice versa.

I can only suggest that you ask your customer to pay your bills by bank transfer in the future.

Regards,
Bob Kerns
Collapse

Gayle Wallimann
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the answer. Nov 20, 2003

Bob Kerns wrote:
Regards,
Bob Kerns

They only pay by bank tranfer if the amount is over 2000£ !! Strange, isn't it?

Thanks for the input.

giogi
giogi
Local time: 01:42
Thousands postal delays between England and Italy Nov 20, 2003

My mum (who lives in Italy) never got what I sent her in October, and usually mail from England doesn't take more than four/five days to reach Italy.
Ask your client, sure, but don't take for granted that their bad faith!!!!!!

Gayle Wallimann
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Giovanna! Nov 20, 2003

Giovanna Rampone wrote:
Ask your client, sure, but don't take for granted that their bad faith!!!!!!

No, I trust the client, I just wondered if the mail was getting back to normal for Europe or not. The client was worried that the check might get lost in the mess!
Thank you for confirming what I suspected was happening. Mail is still not back to normal. I'll wait until Monday and then advise the client so he can decide if he wants to stop the check and issue another one.
Gayle

Aisha Rishi
Aisha Rishi
Pakistan
Local time: 05:42
English to Urdu
+ ...
same here Nov 20, 2003

A friend of mine posted me a cd a day after the strike ended and I still havent received it yet. It has been about 2 1/2 weeks now, and I usually receive the parcels from england within 4 - 5 days.

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
Within the UK Nov 20, 2003

I live in the UK and I experienced delays too (a couple of cheques). I live near Oxford where they were picketing. The letters took 2 weeks to arrive instead of the usual 2 days.

Good luck!

Vanessa Marques
Vanessa Marques  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 01:42
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, it could be because of the strikes. Nov 20, 2003

I'm not expecting cheques from the UK at the moment but I posted a birthday card to my fiance's father on 28th Oct. and he only received it this week! The same thing must be happening with your cheque.
Vanessa

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A victim of England's postal strikes in October...

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »