Off topic: to dispel darkness
Thread poster: lien

lien
Netherlands
Local time: 17:39
English to French
+ ...
Dec 21, 2003

The longuest night of the year, the night to put all your candles on, and I put one here on Proz just to dispel some nasty atitude.

May the Force be with you !

[Edited at 2003-12-22 03:38]

[Edited at 2003-12-22 03:43]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:39
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Good idea, here's another candle. Dec 21, 2003

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:09
English to Tamil
+ ...
How does one put images? Dec 22, 2003

I vaguely remember this question having already been raised and answered, but at that time I did not pay attention. Now I too would like to light one candle.
Regards,
N.Raghavan

Thanks Claudia let me now try:

[Edited at 2003-12-22 02:35]

Sonia Gomes  Identity Verified
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Let me add an imaginary candle Dec 22, 2003

I am adding an imaginary candle !!!Am bad at such stuff.

When I joined Proz around 6 months ago, I asked a question and was thrilled to get replies to it, but one Member wrote to me personally and mentioned in the Answers that I was cheating as this was a part of the sample posted. Her letter to me was so bad that I was very very scared and thought Proz would boot me out !!! It was fortunate that another member wrote to me and said I was free to ask whatever I wanted. There was another time when an outsourcer here in India sent me a sample and sent another Prozian the same sample. As I was confused about a term I asked this one and a totally unknown person from Brazil sent me a stinker I was accused of taking her Bread, I was confused as the outsourcer was an Indian and I am one too. I did think of sending a terse reply but did not because I have been helped so many times by people here, people with a lot of work have tried their best to answer my questions, wasted time on getting the correct explanation for me, people have sent me links to dictionaries and one lady sent me a link to a spell check although she was ill, she is a good friend and the spell check is invaluable to me I have made so many friends and I can only be grateful that there exist such wonderful people so caring and friendly.
All I can say is thank you very much. May you have a wonderful Year 2004 and may there be Peace here on this Board. If something annoys you, put it behind you, ignore it after sometime it is no longer so important. Do not create a place of hatred, there is enough of it everywhere in the world.

Thank you everyone,do enjoy your Christmas and have a wonderful Year 2004.

Best wishes

Sonia

Valeria Verona  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:39
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
shortest night in the year Dec 22, 2003

For us, it was the shortest night in the year...
But light is always welcome.
Regards from Buenos Aires,
Valeria

Mollanazar
Iran
Local time: 19:09
English to Farsi (Persian)
+ ...
Yalda Dec 22, 2003

The longest night is called 'yalda' in Persian. We celebrate it. 'yalda' means the birthday (originally of Mithra, later of Jesus Christ). According to mythology, there is a battle between the White Angel and the Black Angel! In the past, people set up fire (or candles) to help the Good White Angel. The pagans in Britain who follow Mithraism still set up fires at this night and celebrate this night!
Any celebrations in Asia, particularly in India?

Sonia Gomes  Identity Verified
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Celebrations in India Dec 23, 2003

In India there are various religions, the predominant one being Hinduism,as far as I know no religion here in India celebrates Yalda, but we do have the Zoroastrians who fled from Persia to India and settled in a place called Gujerat, they worship Ahura Mazda the God of light. They have Fire Temples and people of other religions are prohibited from entering these.It could be possible that the Parsis as we here call them celebrate Yalda.
Best wishes

Sonia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

to dispel darkness

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search