Off topic: DIY-translation (servicing the family an friends)
Thread poster: Sergei Leshchinsky
1) What do you do if you buy something without a manual in you language?
2) How often do your friends and family ask you to translate something?
3) Have you worked pro bono?
(Please, use the numbers to keep the thread compact.)
[Редактировалось 2010-05-05 19:54 GMT]
| Doesn't happen, yes, no || May 6, 2010 |
1) The stuff I buy always has an English manual, but sometimes I read the German for fun if it's in there.
2) I have translated for family/friends occasionally - a birth certificate, passport, reading a document. Since they've been infrequent small jobs, it hasn't been a problem.
3) I don't do any pro bono work, but I volunteer as a board member of an organization and that work involves quite a few meetings and events as well as putting out a newsletter, so I wouldn't have time to do any more translation on top of what I already do.
| | Claire Cox
Local time: 06:57
French to English
| Not an issue, infrequently, yes || May 6, 2010 |
1) Not an issue: I read them in French or German. Has come in very useful when my all-in-one printer arrived without the fax manual. My son has a holiday job in Curry's and he managed to get a very good deal on a digital camera as a present for me because it only had the instructions in French! Mind you, he never reads the instructions on gadgets anyway - it seems to be a point of honour that he just plays around with it until he knows what everything does!
2) Yes, from time to time - the odd letter here or there. I certainly don't feel abused!
3) Yes, if I've time. My other work takes priority, but if I can squeeze it in, I feel it's a way of giving something back.
To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:
You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »
DIY-translation (servicing the family an friends)
|SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance|
|The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.|
SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.
More info »
|Anycount & Translation Office 3000|
|Translation Office 3000|
Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.
More info »