Off topic: DIY-translation (servicing the family an friends)
Thread poster: Sergei Leshchinsky
1) What do you do if you buy something without a manual in you language?
2) How often do your friends and family ask you to translate something?
3) Have you worked pro bono?
(Please, use the numbers to keep the thread compact.)
[Редактировалось 2010-05-05 19:54 GMT]
| Doesn't happen, yes, no || May 6, 2010 |
1) The stuff I buy always has an English manual, but sometimes I read the German for fun if it's in there.
2) I have translated for family/friends occasionally - a birth certificate, passport, reading a document. Since they've been infrequent small jobs, it hasn't been a problem.
3) I don't do any pro bono work, but I volunteer as a board member of an organization and that work involves quite a few meetings and events as well as putting out a newsletter, so I wouldn't have time to do any more translation on top of what I already do.
| | Claire Cox
Local time: 12:52
French to English
| Not an issue, infrequently, yes || May 6, 2010 |
1) Not an issue: I read them in French or German. Has come in very useful when my all-in-one printer arrived without the fax manual. My son has a holiday job in Curry's and he managed to get a very good deal on a digital camera as a present for me because it only had the instructions in French! Mind you, he never reads the instructions on gadgets anyway - it seems to be a point of honour that he just plays around with it until he knows what everything does!
2) Yes, from time to time - the odd letter here or there. I certainly don't feel abused!
3) Yes, if I've time. My other work takes priority, but if I can squeeze it in, I feel it's a way of giving something back.
To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:
You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »
DIY-translation (servicing the family an friends)
|Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business|
Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.
More info »
|SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €415 / $495|
|Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com|
Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €415 / $495 / £325 / ¥60,000
You will also receive FREE access to our getting started eLearning program!
More info »