Off topic: Another language-related anecdote ("we've already arriven")
Thread poster: George Trail

George Trail  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:14
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
May 15, 2010

I hope not to come across as petty when I say this, but I believe the end comment of the blog will explain it all.

During the Christmas holidays, my brother and I went to stay with our parents in Tenerife (yes, a real Christmas location). And we got to where we were going to be staying, and we had all settled down with beers. My Dad's organiser started to beep; when he looked at it he commented that it was a reminder to go and pick us up - I don't know what the exact words of the reminder were but my Dad made the point my brother and I were due to arrive at that time. And I casually blurted out, "Except we've already arriven, haven't we?"

The linguistic faux pas was a source of amusement for us all. No-one reminded me that I was the linguist of the family - but you do say "given", don't you? I consider this an example of the subtle ways in which language changes.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2010-05-16 12:07 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Another language-related anecdote ("we've already arriven")

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

• All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search