Off topic: Damascus
Thread poster: David Wright

David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 11:48
German to English
+ ...
Jul 16, 2010

I'm planning to go to Damascus in September. Any tips from members there about the place that might not be found in tha standard guidebooks?

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Some reading... Jul 16, 2010

Although not only about Damascus and very much more about the Arab tribes in the early 20th century and stories in and around Damascus, I'd say you might feel like reading Seven Pillars of Wisdom by T. E. Lawrence...

David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To Tomas Jul 16, 2010

Actually, that's the work that first made me want to go there. Great book (though very very colonialist!)

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I see! Jul 16, 2010

David Wright wrote:
Actually, that's the work that first made me want to go there. Great book (though very very colonialist!)

Indeed some things said 100 years ago can be puzzling under today's views. We should not however judge a book with the (quickly evolving) tint of today's views, but by how advanced (or not) its views were in its period. Have a nice trip!

Ruth Braine  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:48
Arabic to English
Great choice! Jul 18, 2010

Hi David

I'm currently living in Damascus - definitely a great choice for a trip! How long are you planning to stay, and do you intend to travel around Syria much? The guidebooks cover most of the obvious sights, but I'd be happy to recommend some hotels/bars/restaurants, if you let me know what kind of thing you're looking for. If your budget allows, I'd definitely recommend staying in one of the boutique hotels in the Old City - they are gorgeous and obviously a very different experience to staying in a normal bland hotel. Though book quickly - I've heard many are already booked through to end of October.

Maybe we can also meet for a drink while you're here, and I can give you the lowdown in person.

Best

Ruth

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Damascus

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search