Off topic: Romania - Carpathians
Thread poster: Susanna Garcia

Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:16
Italian to English
+ ...
Aug 8, 2010

Hi,

This year we're venturing outside our comfort zone and going wildlife watching in the Carpathians, staying in Zarnesti. Does anybody have any advice or experience regarding the area? We're veggie, as in no meat, no fish.

Thanks

Suzi

Direct link Reply with quote

Faruk Atabeyli  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 06:16
English to Turkish
+ ...
Beware Aug 8, 2010

Watch out for the character who says he is from Western Romania and offers blood red tomatoes for free and has his eyes fixed onto your neck. He's not reliable.

Susanna & Christian Popescu GbR
Germany
Local time: 05:16
Romanian to German
+ ...
Romanian cuisine Aug 8, 2010

Well, I have no experience with Zarnesti, which is surely not a priviliged tourism resort, but maybe the following link will help you in finding at least some vegetarian food, as the Romanian cuisine is rather... meat oriented: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanian_cuisine

I suggest you write down some of the names (like "mamaliga", "balmos" - if you like polenta, or "zacusca" - if you like a spread of grilled red pepper, eggplants and onions on bread, or "salata de vinete", also a paste of grilled eggplants on bread, "urda" or "telemea" - if you like cheese), so that you can ask directly for vegetarian food. Tell your hosts from the beginning that you are vegetarians, so that they don't start preparing traditional food and get disappointed when refused (http://goeasteurope.about.com/od/romania/p/romanianfood.htm).

By the way: if you need more details about the food mentioned, just google the terms.

[Edited at 2010-08-08 21:08 GMT]

Liliana Roman-Hamilton  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:16
English to Italian
. Aug 9, 2010

Hi Suzi

The Carpathian region is absolutely amazing!

Here's a couple of links that might help you about Zarnesti.
http://zarnesti.info/what_to_do_see_zarnesti.php

http://zarnesti.info/map_zarnesti.php

If you have time, I would suggest you to visit the town of Brasov too, as it's close to Zarnesti. If you have a car you can take a drive up to Poiana Brasov and Sinaia (go see Peles Castle) and, if you're into it, go visit Bran Castle, aka Dracula Castle.

As for the cuisine, I agree with Susanna & Christian (especially the thing about mentioning that you are vegetarian before you order, as Romanian cusine is rich in meat and fish dishes)

Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Romania Aug 9, 2010

Thank you, Susanna and Christian, luckily we love eggplant and have already told the guesthouse about our diet so we should be ok. The links are really handy.
Liliana, thank you too - although the Romanian version of the site was easier for me to understand than the English, Google Translate has a paw in here clearly.
Oh and Faruk.................

A very excited Suzi

Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Romania - brilliant Aug 27, 2010

Thanks to everyone again - just back and I wanted to say how absolutely amazing Romania and the people are.
Food help was very handy and the aubergine dishes were delicious.
If anyone would like the name of the Zarnesti guest house and the wild life watching agency, please contact me directly and can highly recommend them.
Mulţumesc

Suzi

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Romania - Carpathians

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search