Off topic: Death of a little girl
Thread poster: Mary McCusker
Mary McCusker
Mary McCusker  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:29
German to English
+ ...
Feb 6, 2004

Please spare a moment of thought or prayer for the death of 11-year-old Carlie Brucia and for her family. Carlie's body was found this morning, almost five days after her abduction Sunday evening, right here in Sarasota, Florida.

lien
lien
Netherlands
Local time: 03:29
English to French
+ ...
And what's about Feb 6, 2004

the little girls dying from hunger or aids in the world every day ?

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 19:29
Dutch to English
+ ...
Breaks my heart Feb 6, 2004

It breaks my heart every time I hear about a child killed or gone missing. It makes you wonder what kind of a world we live in.

Jeannie Graham
Jeannie Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:29
German to English
+ ...
makes you put things in perspective Feb 6, 2004

Whenever you hear such news or of any child suffering or dying and you think of their parents' anguish, it makes you take a long look at what you think are your own problems in life and put them in perspective. It must be one of them most painful experiences to go through - the loss of a child, especially in horrific circumstance.

Martine Etienne
Martine Etienne  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
It is already wonderfull that you care Feb 7, 2004

Here in Belgium, we are living the trial of the murderer of 2 young girls of 8 called Julie & Mélissa. When they were found, they were missing for more than 1 year. It was 9 years ago. I did not know them also they were living in the next village but I will never forget them and their parents. I have 2 girls : 8 and 13. So even though there are many children suffering all over the world, I think you are right to have posted this message to show that you care.
That's what make us human bei
... See more
Here in Belgium, we are living the trial of the murderer of 2 young girls of 8 called Julie & Mélissa. When they were found, they were missing for more than 1 year. It was 9 years ago. I did not know them also they were living in the next village but I will never forget them and their parents. I have 2 girls : 8 and 13. So even though there are many children suffering all over the world, I think you are right to have posted this message to show that you care.
That's what make us human beings and not animals....
Martine
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Teach them Feb 7, 2004

Teach them to fight back with everything they've got. Some may lose, but some may also live.

I also think about all the girls and young women who have died and continue to die right here in Ciudad Juárez.

I'm glad that mine is alive and well, and I know she can fight.

Pamela Peralta
Pamela Peralta  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 20:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
Your words are wise Henry Feb 7, 2004

Henry Hinds wrote:
Teach them to fight back with everything they've got. Some may lose, but some may also live.

I was just talking about that with my fiancée. I was telling him about the time when I told my Pammy (9 years-old)that if there were a time when I would get out of the cab and the driver drives off with her that she should jump out.
Her response to that was "I have already thought about that", which broke my heart because she was only 7 at the time. But we HAVE to be prepared, like Henry says, at least at some length.

Pamela

Sonia Gomes
Sonia Gomes  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:59
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I spent my day praying for the parents Feb 7, 2004

I spent my day praying that the parents would have the courage to bear the loss of a child in such horrific circunstances. Something terrible happened to my son when he was 5, now he is 9. And believe me this is the first time I can think/write about it without breaking down. I do not know what the solution is and I do not think there is one. So I pray for all children, may they be safe.
Sonia

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
A horrable tragedy + Tips on Child Safety Feb 7, 2004

Hi Mary,
My family and I have been following this tragedy this last week and it has broken our hearts. The kidnapping and the murder just does not make sense! How sad and horrific!

On CNN.com I found some tips that parents should teach their children to stop abductions. Worth reading them.
By Bob Stuber

Children may be smaller and weaker than would-be abductors, but with their parents' help, they can learn techniques to resist and escape predators, a child safety expert said.

The key to remaining safe lies in not leaving the place where the abductor approaches a child, said Bob Stuber of the Texas-based Escape School, which runs educational programs across the United States.

A kidnapper "wants to get out somewhere by himself," said Stuber, a former police officer and founder of the Escape School. "He may threaten the child, but he's not going to hurt the child right there. That's not what this is about. That takes place later."

Stuber said no neighborhood is immune to the danger of abduction. "So you have to make sure you do instruct your children," Stuber said. "Don't just say, 'Don't go off with strangers.' You have to be more specific."

Parents should instruct their children to fight and resist abductors, even if the predator threatens them, Stuber said.

From the onset of an abduction attempt, children should make as much noise as loudly as possible from the beginning and continually throughout the assault.

"Sometimes kids are afraid to do that because their abductor is telling them, 'If you say a word, I am going to hurt you.' Tell your child no matter what this person says, ... you can make as much noise as you want to."

Children should deny requests for help from strangers, which is a common abduction ploy.

Children are "very, very trusting," Stuber said.

"Parents really have to ... start driving that message home, is that you don't walk away with anybody. If they need help, they will get it from another adult," he said.

Stuber says small and simple acts that the youngest of children can perform could go a long way in saving them if they know them.

"All the way along ... there's these little windows of opportunity," he said. "And if the child knows what to watch for, it really only takes about two of these choices to get them out of danger."

Here are a few to teach, practice and review with children.

Outside a car:

• Avoid being alone, and don't take shortcuts.

• Never walk over to a car for any reason. Getting near and in a car increases the chances of being taken away and hurt.

• If approached, do not leave the area.

• Do not help an adult you do not know.

• Remember 911 calls at pay phones are free.

• Scream loudly for help, run to another adult, gripping and holding onto that other person. Stuber said this "Velcro technique" forces the other adult to listen and pay attention.

• Rotate arms forward quickly and repeatedly making big circles in the air. This windmill technique prevents a larger and stronger assailant from getting a grip on the moving child. Don't just try to pull away because the adult is stronger. Always rotate the arm to break free of the grip if restrained.

• If on a bicycle, hug the bicycle tightly, refusing to let go. "If you hold that bike, and do not let go, it's impossible to put you in a car," Stuber said. If a bike is not available, grab a garbage can or a long stick, any large object that prevents entry into a car.

• If the abductor shows a gun, run. No matter what the person says, keep running. There is only a slim chance they will try to shoot you. Firing a gun draws attention.

• Always scream.

Inside a car:

• The first step should be for the child to open the door and get out.

• If in a four-door car, jump into the back seat and go out a back door quickly.

• Place something inside of the ignition cylinder -- gum, a small button from clothing -- to keep the abductor from driving them to another location. Stuber said that if the car can be stopped or the potential crime can be stopped in the neighborhood, then the crime is going to come to an end.

• If locked in a trunk, remove the taillight panel which comes off easily, and disconnect the taillight wires. "Now you increased the odds 50 percent that the police will pull the car over because it has not brake or tail lights," Stuber said, "then they will hear you inside."

Finally, Stuber advises parents to always practice escape measures with their children. "Kids will not yell and scream when they are in trouble just 'cause you tell them to," he said. "You have to let them practice it."

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/02/05/child.safety.tips/index.html

[Edited at 2004-02-07 17:54]

Sonia Gomes
Sonia Gomes  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:59
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I agree with you Tayfun Feb 7, 2004

I agree with you Tayfun, if they know without a shadow of doubt, then he should be. But never fear, once these people get into jail they have no chance, most of the times they do not last long. The other inmates take care of them.

The bishop I forget his name had a very short span in jail, remember

Sonia

Pamela Peralta
Pamela Peralta  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 20:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
same here Feb 7, 2004

Sonia Gomes wrote:
...But never fear, once these people get into jail they have no chance, most of the times they do not last long. The other inmates take care of them.

The happens here in Peru, or so I was told by my sister that was district attorney.
Pamela

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Waiting period between sentence and execution Feb 7, 2004

Tayfun Torunoglu wrote:

I hope immediatly they try and hang abductor,
A delayed justice is not justice at all.

Hi Tayfun,
AFAIK, the prosecution will ask for the death penalty and so are the wishes of the little girl's family as well.

However, there is an average of 14 year waiting period between sentence and execution in the state of Florida!!!!

Translations (X)
Translations (X)
French to Spanish
+ ...
I hope you will Feb 7, 2004

never have to live a terrible experience like that. We know that a lot of people died every day,children,women,men, but that is not a reason for not to pray for one in particular. For those parents,life is now broken,nothing will be the same and they are not responsable for what happen to other children, I imagine you have not children,I have a baby ( 9 months) and I can imagine what those parents are living in this moment.
Do not be so cold.

this ia an answer to "lien"
... See more
never have to live a terrible experience like that. We know that a lot of people died every day,children,women,men, but that is not a reason for not to pray for one in particular. For those parents,life is now broken,nothing will be the same and they are not responsable for what happen to other children, I imagine you have not children,I have a baby ( 9 months) and I can imagine what those parents are living in this moment.
Do not be so cold.

this ia an answer to "lien"
who said:
lien
Netherlands

English>French
+ ...
And what's about Feb 6

the little girls dying from hunger or aids in the world every day ?

[Edited at 2004-02-07 18:49]
Collapse

lien
lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
I am not cold Feb 8, 2004

lutin wrote:

Do not be so cold.

Always find a bit strange that people worry for one child one time and never write about the thousands of others every day.

It affects them much more, it is closer to home and remind them that it can happen to them.

They have a very good expression in dutch for the thousands of others abused children, dying aids children, hungry children : Dat is ver van mijn bed, it means : This is far from my bed.

I do not mind flaming emails, I just press DEL.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 21:29
SITE FOUNDER
Closing the thread Feb 8, 2004

I am closign this thread. Please do not carry the conversation into another thread.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Death of a little girl

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »