Thread poster: Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:31
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Nov 7, 2010

I am planning to take a short trip to Argentina with my wife and would like to shed some light on some points:

1. Is 3 days enough to see the main tourist spots in Buenos Aires? We do not plan to explore the interior due to lack of time and also financial considerations. The tour agency we have contacted said that 3 days is the smallest package (covering a weekend) but maybe 5 days would be best - do you agree?

2. We have never been to the country before, so would like
... See more
I am planning to take a short trip to Argentina with my wife and would like to shed some light on some points:

1. Is 3 days enough to see the main tourist spots in Buenos Aires? We do not plan to explore the interior due to lack of time and also financial considerations. The tour agency we have contacted said that 3 days is the smallest package (covering a weekend) but maybe 5 days would be best - do you agree?

2. We have never been to the country before, so would like to know what to expect, what to see and so forth.

3. We also need suggestions of where to eat, as the package includes flight, hotel and breakfast only. Nowhere expensive please!

4. When is the best time to go within the next 6 months or so - but not Christmas, New Year or Carnaval as this would double the price.

I would welcome any information from translators living in Argentina or who have recently been to the country on a visit.
Collapse

jacana54 (X)
jacana54 (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
A Uruguayan's point of view Nov 8, 2010

Hi, Paul:

I live in Uruguay, very close to Buenos Aires. We visit the city frequently and always love it. I would go for the 5 day option, but if possible avoiding the hottest months (i.e., I would wait until mid-March).

There is very little wind, so the parks and plazas are beautiful. At the end of summer the "palos borrachos" have their pink flowers -- gorgeous! The Palermo gardens are particularly worth visiting.

You will find a large, cosmopolitan city
... See more
Hi, Paul:

I live in Uruguay, very close to Buenos Aires. We visit the city frequently and always love it. I would go for the 5 day option, but if possible avoiding the hottest months (i.e., I would wait until mid-March).

There is very little wind, so the parks and plazas are beautiful. At the end of summer the "palos borrachos" have their pink flowers -- gorgeous! The Palermo gardens are particularly worth visiting.

You will find a large, cosmopolitan city, with many of the government buildings made at beginning of the last century (when each calf was worth three thousand dollars) and also excellent examples of modern architecture. Museums, shops, theatre, music. Lots of noise and bustle. At times it feels like Madrid.

There are so many must-sees that I'll simply give you a web page with the basics: www.bue.gov.ar

Some "different" suggestions: the guided tour through the (now renewed) Colón theatre; last time we did that it included all the underground area where they store costumes, wigs and shoes.

El Tigre: you can either rent a kayak or simply take one of the taxi boats to visit the delta and see all those lovely houses right on the waterfront.

Try posting in the Spanish forum to get more replies from Argentine colleagues.

Enjoy!

Edited to add: If you want a change, you can take a day trip from Buenos Aires to Colonia (Uruguay) which is World Heritage site: charming and very relaxing. The ferry boat company is Buquebus.

[Edited at 2010-11-08 18:03 GMT]
Collapse

jacana54 (X)
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
I just saw this Nov 13, 2010

and thought you might find it useful:

http://www.bbc.com/travel/feature/20101111-mini-guide-to-buenos-aires-argentina

Paul Dixon
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Muchas Gracias Nov 16, 2010

Thank you very much Lucia for your interesting post, I shall be looking at the sites soon. Regarding the Spanish forum, however, yo pienso che mio español no es bueno el suficiente para scrivere un mensaje.

I understand your advice about waiting a while. The tour agency told us that Christmas and New Year are busy, then January and February are cheaper and then prices soar again for Carnaval which this year is in March.

The travel agency has also said that there are so
... See more
Thank you very much Lucia for your interesting post, I shall be looking at the sites soon. Regarding the Spanish forum, however, yo pienso che mio español no es bueno el suficiente para scrivere un mensaje.

I understand your advice about waiting a while. The tour agency told us that Christmas and New Year are busy, then January and February are cheaper and then prices soar again for Carnaval which this year is in March.

The travel agency has also said that there are some guided tours in the programme but I guess these would be paid. A day trip to your city definitely sounds interesting - how far is it and how much is the trip? I would have to find out about visas though, as I am a British citizen (my wife is Brazilian) and may need a visa to Argentina and/or Uruguay, from what I gather.

The tourist agency has given us some ideas of prices, and surprisingly the air trip is cheaper than the bus.
Collapse

jacana54 (X)
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
What I was suggesting was a day trip to Colonia Nov 16, 2010

Hi, Paul,

What I was suggesting is a day trip to Colonia del Sacramento, which is 45 minutes away from Buenos Aires, by ferryboat... once there you simply walk around. (Montevideo is a bit further away and there would be more ground to cover.)

You won't regret going to Buenos Aires! Good luck!

Maria Cossani
Maria Cossani
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
hi new visitor! Nov 16, 2010

Hi Paul, I am really glad you want to visit my country.

I would also choose the 5-day option, but as regards the places you and your wife want to visit, it will depend on your interests.

I would visit Colon Theatre and on the same day you may visit other historical places nearby.

I would definitely visit a tango pub.

If you tell me about the things you enjoy doing I can help you a bit more (I have never lived in Buenos Aires but I visit it o
... See more
Hi Paul, I am really glad you want to visit my country.

I would also choose the 5-day option, but as regards the places you and your wife want to visit, it will depend on your interests.

I would visit Colon Theatre and on the same day you may visit other historical places nearby.

I would definitely visit a tango pub.

If you tell me about the things you enjoy doing I can help you a bit more (I have never lived in Buenos Aires but I visit it often).

As regards prices, I guess you can have a good traditional meal anywhere for less than US$50.

It's a pity you are just visiting Buenos Aires, since there are hundreds of beautifull and varied landscapes in the rest (both South and East) of Argentina.

Good luck and enjoy it. Oh! I almost forgot: I do not recommend January or February ... I would chose April, May or October and November. Bye!

[Edited at 2010-11-16 17:47 GMT]
Collapse

Paul Dixon
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Additional Information Jun 24, 2011

I have more information about my plans to visit la República Argentina. Unfortunately we could not get there last year (mainly for financial reasons) but my wife still wants to visit Argentina and as my English student will be travelling to Europe in September I am considering a visit in this period.

1. From what I read, September is a good time to visit. What is the weather like?

2. My wife is afraid of flying and she has told me she would prefer the BUS trip to Argen
... See more
I have more information about my plans to visit la República Argentina. Unfortunately we could not get there last year (mainly for financial reasons) but my wife still wants to visit Argentina and as my English student will be travelling to Europe in September I am considering a visit in this period.

1. From what I read, September is a good time to visit. What is the weather like?

2. My wife is afraid of flying and she has told me she would prefer the BUS trip to Argentina. Has anyone done this trip by bus? I imagine it is very tiring. I have seen that the Pluma bus takes about 36 hours from São Paulo to Buenos Aires. Would it be better to break the journey in Porto Alegre, for example?

3. I could see a bit of the country, but can't travel too far because of the time constraints. Of course if we bought a flight-only package instead of a tour we could have more time to explore but it would be a lot more expensive, as the packages usually include the hotels etc.

4. The tango pub sounds interesting, and of course we intend to try the famous Argentine beef. I would consider a visit and/or watching a football match at the Bombonera Stadium but I guess this would be expensive too.

I am busy over the weekend but then will surely have a look at the sites that you have mentioned.

PAUL
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trip to Argentina

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »