Lisa McCreadie (X)
Lisa McCreadie (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 1, 2010

Hello all,
I noticed when updating my CV on my profile that there is an option to upload your CV in Old/Middle English! Has anybody ever seen anyone on Proz who has opted to do so? I would certainly be very interested to see it, if so, and to know how much work they get through it.

For those who are not familiar, here are some extracts in Old and Middle English, respectively. Can you understand?

'Fæder ure þuþe eart on heofonum
si þin nama g
... See more
Hello all,
I noticed when updating my CV on my profile that there is an option to upload your CV in Old/Middle English! Has anybody ever seen anyone on Proz who has opted to do so? I would certainly be very interested to see it, if so, and to know how much work they get through it.

For those who are not familiar, here are some extracts in Old and Middle English, respectively. Can you understand?

'Fæder ure þuþe eart on heofonum
si þin nama gehalgod tobecume þin rice gewurþe þin willa on eorðan swa swa on heofonum
urne gedæghwamlican hlaf syle us to dæg
and forgyf us ure gyltas swa swa we forgyfað urum gyltendum
and ne gelæd þu us on costnunge ac alys us of yfele soþlice.'

Do you recognise it? If not, try this one:

'Oure fadir þat art in heuenes halwid be þi name;
þi reume or kyngdom come to be. Be þi wille don in herþe as it is dounin heuene.
yeue to us today oure eche dayes bred.
And foryeue to us oure dettis þat is oure synnys as we foryeuen to oure dettouris þat is to men þat han synned in us.
And lede us not into temptacion but delyuere us from euyl.'
Collapse

Arianne Farah
Arianne Farah  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:02
Member (2008)
English to French
Both the lord's prayer ;-) Dec 1, 2010

Always thought it was funny Proz mentioned Old & Middle English but had no distinction between modern language variants (like different types of French, Spanish, Portuguese, etc.)

Alison Sabedoria (X)
Alison Sabedoria (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
It's tempting Dec 1, 2010

I like my CV to be available in a client's native language, but unless they are time travellers, there aren't many native Old or Middle English speakers around.* I've not seen anyone try this yet, but there seems to be precious little work around in the field just now. Two recent enquiries turned out to be misinterpretations of the document by the client.

I daresay we could also upload a CV in Latin; I did see a job posting once that asked for a Latin native speaker.

... See more
I like my CV to be available in a client's native language, but unless they are time travellers, there aren't many native Old or Middle English speakers around.* I've not seen anyone try this yet, but there seems to be precious little work around in the field just now. Two recent enquiries turned out to be misinterpretations of the document by the client.

I daresay we could also upload a CV in Latin; I did see a job posting once that asked for a Latin native speaker.

But where would it end? The "ancient tongues" may be underrepresented on ProZ, but I'm not sure the site can handle Egyptian hieroglyphs or Sumerian Cuneiform yet, and the clay tablet dictionaries tend to be a bit heavy.

I also agree that more distinctions should be made between modern language variants.

And yes, as Arianne says, both are the Lord's Prayer.

*A friend used to regularly leave messages in Middle English on my answering machine.
Collapse

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
The emphasis on "Old/Middle English" is a diversionary tactic... Dec 1, 2010

...when the real outrage is that this site has never offered the option of an interface in the Cornish language....

[Edited at 2010-12-01 15:50 GMT]

Trisha F
Trisha F  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
It's to be expected, right? Dec 1, 2010

Who knows? We could be contacted by 12th century clients any day!

So, instead of writing "skills" we could go for "cræfts" but I'm not sure what the Old English word for software is...

By the way, I just found this:

http://www.mun.ca/Ansaxdat/vocab/wordlist.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Old/Middle English CVs

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »