Off topic: Don’t beat the Dutch; beat the Netherlands instead (invitation to join a cycle trip / powwow)
Thread poster: Henk Peelen

Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:10
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Feb 26, 2004

An wheelchair-cycling colleague and I are going to plan a cycle trip from the northpoint to the south point of The Netherlands. After reading a posting about a Prozzian cycling in Peru, it seemed appropriate to me to invite you to join us.

The overall distance is just 380 km. We’d like to divide the trip over four days and stop the night in holiday parks, so at least four nights. Dates are May 11 till 14. The four evenings are parts of a powwow, but non-translators are welcome as well.

The sky is not the limit! Instead, the sea and the Belgium border are! This seems a down to earth approach to me. The average Dutchman happens to have 1.6 bike, but I have just one, since I don’t know what to do with a .6 bike. This might indicate the moderate nature of the daily trips: the distance will be about 110 km. So, you don’t need to be a really experienced cyclist to join us.
If you should like the (a) powwow part instead of the cycling, you could of course travel by horse, car, train, motorcycle, helicopter or (in case you’re an unsurpassable noctambulist) go on foot, to mention some possibilities.
If you on the other hand would like to join the cyclists without attending the meetings / stopping offs, you’re free to do so as well. You could sleep everywhere. However, sleeping in the woods is not allowed here. I guess the government is afraid the wild boars would become bilingual and will start to emigrate. You see, a too much down to earth approach is not allowed. Other odd free sleeping possibilities would include running amok somewhere, resulting in being locked up for one night. Could work well, but please don’t test it during this trip. If you’d like to go your own way, a hotel or bed and breakfast ( http://www.vriendenopdefiets.nl ) would be a better idea.

Please note that the trip itself is
not really cultural (east side of the country)
not really cheap (I guess at least € 50-100 per day)

At this very moment, I know little details. We’d like to find out more when the weather will be fine. I’ll post this some day as a powwow.
Tentatively scheme:
Tuesday – Friday May 11 –14, about 07.00 – 16.00: cycling
Tuesday – Friday May 11 –14, about 16.00 – 23.00: powwow
I think for May 10-11 a stay need to be organized as well.

So, there are actually 9 parts. The whole needs some organization, so I need to know in front if and to which parts you would like to join (espacially the stopping offs). Some holiday homes could be shared by some people, but I want to know in front if you like to do so and with who. If you don’t, your expenses will be higher, of course. There’ll be some regulations in place about undue use of alcohol and mind-expanding drugs, smoking indoors and undue debating sore subjects like politics or religion.

[Edited at 2004-04-03 08:38]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ellemiek Drucker  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:10
English to Dutch
+ ...
Leuk plan, maar... Feb 26, 2004

Hoi Henk,

Leuk plan!! Ik hoop dat onze collega's in grote getallen op de fiets zullen stappen. Ik vind echter ik dat ik in mijn middelbare schooltijd al genoeg gefietst heb (ik loop liever) en daarnaast heb ik geen onderwaterpak voor de fietstocht tussen Isle of Wight en Nederland.

Mocht ik half mei in Nederland zijn, dan kom ik zeker met natte sponzen en broodjes langs de kant staan!

Groetjes,
Ellemiek

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 03:10
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Great idea Henk! Feb 26, 2004

Really, it sounds exciting.
I can't imagine something similar in my 4,200 km long country

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Don’t beat the Dutch; beat the Netherlands instead (invitation to join a cycle trip / powwow)

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search