Off topic: Way off topic, but it may save lives.
Thread poster: Suzan Hamer

Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:59
English
+ ...
Dec 25, 2010

I hesitate to post this film here. I found some of the images very disturbing, but perhaps that's what it takes to make a point.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2mf8DtWWd8

[Edited at 2010-12-25 16:32 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thank you Dec 25, 2010

My teenagers will be watching this with me tonight.

I hope everyone will take just five minutes out of their busy day and sit down with their families to see this.

It will break your heart, but it just might save a life.

Hannah Geiger  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:59
Member (2009)
English to Czech
+ ...
camerawork Dec 26, 2010

I think it is very effective, but lots of frontal images so that one actually misses the "action" on the side, such as nurses, and similar. The music is a bit redundant, as if human suffering were a melodrama.

Michelle Hertrich  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
The ads work Dec 26, 2010

I was about 16 when these ads first came on Australian TV. Believe me, they had an impact on both myself as a teenager about to get my learner´s permit and adults who already had their licences. The ads weren´t just about DUI, they were also about "speed kills" and falling asleep at the wheel (a major problem in Australia where country roads are straight for miles on end and you may not see another car for an hour or two). So yes, show them to your teenagers - they work.

By the way, you see the action on the sides in the individual full-length ads.

Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Croatian
+ ...
Sleep deprivation Dec 26, 2010

Michelle Hertrich wrote:

I was about 16 when these ads first came on Australian TV. Believe me, they had an impact on both myself as a teenager about to get my learner´s permit and adults who already had their licences. The ads weren´t just about DUI, they were also about "speed kills" and falling asleep at the wheel (a major problem in Australia where country roads are straight for miles on end and you may not see another car for an hour or two). So yes, show them to your teenagers - they work.

By the way, you see the action on the sides in the individual full-length ads.

It's been proven that a lack of sleep will affect the driver in the same way as an alcohol overdose. It will affect concentration, reflexes, vision etc.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Way off topic, but it may save lives.

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search