Thread poster: Lenah Susianty

Lenah Susianty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:43
Member (2004)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Jan 18, 2011

Hi everyone, I just want to say, the British Library in London is currently running a very interesting exhibition on the evolution of English Language. There are rare books on exhibition as well (so you can see Beowulf for example or The Canterbury Tales!). For details, check http://www.bl.uk/evolvingenglish/

I do think it's a brilliant event if you are passionate about English language

Direct link Reply with quote

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
Wow Jan 18, 2011

Sounds like a great exhibit! I wish I could see it, but I'm enjoying the blog associated with it.

Angela Dickson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Seconded Jan 18, 2011

I saw it a few weeks ago and it is very interesting, though I found the mixture of sound exhibits and printed material all in the same place a bit overwhelming - there's always something talking at you while you're looking at things.

Anyone who goes should also have a look at the BL's permanent exhibition (up the stairs and on the left as you go in) which has lots of wonderful things on display all the time.

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
book on the exhibition Jan 19, 2011

"I wish I could see it, but I'm enjoying the blog associated with it. "

Steven,

They have published a book in conjunction with this exhibition, if you are interested...

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
that's true Jan 19, 2011

Angela Dickson wrote:

I saw it a few weeks ago and it is very interesting, though I found the mixture of sound exhibits and printed material all in the same place a bit overwhelming - there's always something talking at you while you're looking at things.

Anyone who goes should also have a look at the BL's permanent exhibition (up the stairs and on the left as you go in) which has lots of wonderful things on display all the time.

Yes it;s true, but they also provide lots of headphones, so if you want to listen to something quietly, you can do that too. I specially enjoyed the video on British Sign Language! I didn't know anything about it before!

Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:43
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Sounds interesting & Portuguese Museum Jan 19, 2011

This sounds like a very interesting event. Here in São Paulo, we have something very similar, the Museum of the Portuguese Language which is billed as the only museum dedicated to a language in the world. The Museum of the Portuguese Language is located in part of the Luz Train Station in downtown São Paulo.

For further information (in English - a surprisingly good translation, considering the terrible translations that some institutions present):

http://www.museudalinguaportuguesa.org.br/info_ingles.php

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Evolving English: British Library event

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search