Mohamed Mehenoun  Identity Verified
Algeria
Local time: 16:54
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
Feb 25, 2011

Hello,

I would like to know about the renting in Düsseldorf, is it easy to get a condo or a studio how much would it cost monthly ? If we include the electricity, gas and water how much would that be each month averagely ?

How much does one need to spend monthly to live a fairly good life (food, cinema, traveling on weekends, ...etc) ?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Kind regards,

Mohamed

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 18:54
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
As much as you can get Feb 25, 2011

http://www.immozentral.com/mietangebote.cfm?stadt=Duesseldorf

The price level of flats to let is rather low for European standards. I guess in Düsseldorf you can spend as much as you can afford. With 2000 Euro a single person should get along nicely, I would think.

Regards
Heinrich

Algeria
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks ! Feb 25, 2011

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

http://www.immozentral.com/mietangebote.cfm?stadt=Duesseldorf

The price level of flats to let is rather low for European standards. I guess in Düsseldorf you can spend as much as you can afford. With 2000 Euro a single person should get along nicely, I would think.

Regards

Heinrich

Is it easy to get an apartment or a studio given that I don't speak German ? And is it easy to live over there for someone who doesn't speak German ?

I've been visiting the website you sent me and I guess compared to other places in Europe it's rather affordable to rent a condo.

Thanks again.

Kind regards,

Mohamed

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 18:54
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Something to keep in mind Feb 25, 2011

Now comes to my mind that German flats are usually rented without kitchen accessories like stove, washing machine, dish-washer etc. People move and take their things with them. So it would be advisable to look for fully furnished flats (voll möbiliert).

http://www.duesseldorf.e-rent.de/en/videomap.htm

In Düsseldorf live a lot of foreigners, like Japanese, Turks. It's a business city. You should get along with English.

[Bearbeitet am 2011-02-25 16:37 GMT]

erika rubinstein  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:54
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
I live in Dusseldorf Feb 26, 2011

It dependes upon your standards, but you can live very cheap if you want and expensive, but as Heinrich mentioned, the rent level is far lower than in London or Paris. It is a nice city to live.

Algeria
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Erika... Feb 26, 2011

erika rubinstein wrote:

It dependes upon your standards, but you can live very cheap if you want and expensive, but as Heinrich mentioned, the rent level is far lower than in London or Paris. It is a nice city to live.

Would it be easy for me as a foreigner to find a rent right away or to arrange things over the Internet before my arrival ?

erika rubinstein  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
Internet? Feb 27, 2011

How are you going to do it wthout seeing a flat?
Better to do it personally, but look before at: www.immobilienscout24.de

Algeria
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 28, 2011

erika rubinstein wrote:

How are you going to do it wthout seeing a flat?
Better to do it personally, but look before at: www.immobilienscout24.de

I'm just scouting to know if it's feasible or not...

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Rent in Germany is really sensible Mar 1, 2011

Unlike other countries, including Spain, Germany has rather sensible rents for flats. The reason is that, in most cities, rent prices are regulated by law. The result is something I used to think was absurd but now think we should have in Spain: the country is not overbuilt, not all free space is converted to flats, and people can make a reasonable living with less money.

I agree with the colleague: never rent anything over the Internet. If you want to make up your mind about flats, Internet portals and Google Maps will help.

Now, there is something you have to remember: unlike Algeria, Germany is a [sometimes very] cold country, and you need a good heating system. Prices for flat rentals are usually expressed as "Kaltmiete" (without heating), a lower figure, but you definitely want to know the "Warmmiete", i.e. rental including the cost of heating. It is also important to remember that you will also pay other amounts, like municipal waste and water costs.

I honestly think that, if you are really interested in moving to Germany, you must ask a real estate agent about all the costs and conditions involved. They are reasonable (for the average European), but you must add them to your calculations.

I also think that 2.000 euros a month should do, as long as you rent a small appartment and keep a moderate level of spending.

Algeria
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Very good advise Mar 1, 2011

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Unlike other countries, including Spain, Germany has rather sensible rents for flats. The reason is that, in most cities, rent prices are regulated by law. The result is something I used to think was absurd but now think we should have in Spain: the country is not overbuilt, not all free space is converted to flats, and people can make a reasonable living with less money.

I agree with the colleague: never rent anything over the Internet. If you want to make up your mind about flats, Internet portals and Google Maps will help.

Now, there is something you have to remember: unlike Algeria, Germany is a [sometimes very] cold country, and you need a good heating system. Prices for flat rentals are usually expressed as "Kaltmiete" (without heating), a lower figure, but you definitely want to know the "Warmmiete", i.e. rental including the cost of heating. It is also important to remember that you will also pay other amounts, like municipal waste and water costs.

I honestly think that, if you are really interested in moving to Germany, you must ask a real estate agent about all the costs and conditions involved. They are reasonable (for the average European), but you must add them to your calculations.

I also think that 2.000 euros a month should do, as long as you rent a small appartment and keep a moderate level of spending.

Thanks Tomas, your advise is very good ! Actually, I thought that heating would have been included de facto !

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Please check! Mar 1, 2011

Mohamed Mehenoun wrote:
Thanks Tomas, your advise is very good ! Actually, I thought that heating would have been included de facto!

You are most welcome. Indeed it is always safer to check whether they mean Kaltmiete or Warmmiete!icon_smile.gif

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Level of life in Düsseldorf and Renting

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search