Paula Hernández
Paula Hernández
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 21, 2011

I recently adopted this puppy:

While I'm working she's usually sleeping next to me, and every couple of hours she takes me out to play and get my mind off work...
I'm very happy with her!

Natasha Dupuy
Natasha Dupuy  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:48
French to English
Congratulations Mar 21, 2011

Congratulations, Paula, she is gorgeous!

And I'm so very jealous. My partner doesn't want me to get a dog, because we live in an apartment. I haven't given up yet though!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A suggestion Mar 21, 2011

Lovely thing indeed.

I have had a similar dog for over a decade. You surely want to discuss this with your vet, but may I recommend that, once it has grown (i.e. not this year), you cut the dog's hair completely (except the back, so that it does not get sunburns) around May so that it is not melting during the summer?

The hair in these dogs grows quite quickly again during the summer, and by the time the colder weather arrives, the dog is ready for winter again.
<
... See more
Lovely thing indeed.

I have had a similar dog for over a decade. You surely want to discuss this with your vet, but may I recommend that, once it has grown (i.e. not this year), you cut the dog's hair completely (except the back, so that it does not get sunburns) around May so that it is not melting during the summer?

The hair in these dogs grows quite quickly again during the summer, and by the time the colder weather arrives, the dog is ready for winter again.

There is also another powerful reason to cut the hair of these dogs with abundant, thin hair: if you plan to go to the countryside and let the dog roam around in the summer, you will never notice whether the spikes of weed and cereal are slowly advancing inwards through the hair, finally puncturing the skin and eventually fully penetrating inside of the dog. You suddenly notice that the dog is always nervous and odd and you don't know why! This happened to my dog once and the consequences were terrible for the poor thing. Ever since that happened, I cut the dog's hair every year. I live in central Spain, and here I wait until mid May or so, but in the coast you might want to do it a couple of weeks earlier since it is warmer more time of the year.

Every time after being in the fields or wherever there is weed, and well into Autumn, you definitely want to inspect the dog's belly completely and remove any seed or spikes clinging to it.

Good luck and "happy parenting"!
Collapse

Sonia Hill
Sonia Hill
United Kingdom
Italian to English
She's gorgeous Mar 21, 2011

We have a dog too and she's great company while I'm working. Having a dog also means that I have to take a break from the computer from time to time and get some exercise each day, which can only be a good thing.

What kind of dog is she? I have a Maremma sheepdog cross and she looked quite similar as a puppy.

Paula Hernández
Paula Hernández
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
She's great! Mar 21, 2011

Hi Sonia, she's a Samoyed and from what I've seen in pics, when they are adults they are even more gorgeous!

@Natasha
I also live in an apartment, but I have a big terrace and loads of green areas around the house. However, we are looking for a place with a small garden and less neighbours, since she is still learning and barks a lot when she gets excited.

@Tomás
Thanks for the advice!
I have been reading a lot about cutting her hair, but apparently t
... See more
Hi Sonia, she's a Samoyed and from what I've seen in pics, when they are adults they are even more gorgeous!

@Natasha
I also live in an apartment, but I have a big terrace and loads of green areas around the house. However, we are looking for a place with a small garden and less neighbours, since she is still learning and barks a lot when she gets excited.

@Tomás
Thanks for the advice!
I have been reading a lot about cutting her hair, but apparently these dogs need their hair cause it allows them to control both cold and heat (*~*). Every six months she's going to change her hair and I will have to comb her daily! I've seen videos on Youtube and they seem to have loads of hair to comb and get rid of...
There is a lady in Madrid that even takes the hair and makes scarves with it!
Collapse

Bilbo Baggins
Bilbo Baggins
Catalan to English
+ ...
Very cute:-) Mar 21, 2011

Congrats, you will never regret it:-)

I have a largeish sheepdog in a small flat (not intentionally, I got her when I lived in the country) and it's no problem for her, we go out 2-3 times a day, and I'm near the seaside and parks. What matters to her is to be with me, not to be in a garden:-)

I also get her trimmed before the summer, last year she was completely shaved, but this year I'll leave a centimetre or two, because they also need the hair to protect them agains
... See more
Congrats, you will never regret it:-)

I have a largeish sheepdog in a small flat (not intentionally, I got her when I lived in the country) and it's no problem for her, we go out 2-3 times a day, and I'm near the seaside and parks. What matters to her is to be with me, not to be in a garden:-)

I also get her trimmed before the summer, last year she was completely shaved, but this year I'll leave a centimetre or two, because they also need the hair to protect them against the sun.
Collapse

Louisa Berry
Louisa Berry
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
German to English
Adorable Mar 21, 2011

She is absolutely adorable!

I puppy sit for my parents' 9 month old labrador puppy once a week, and most of the time he is good and then we play every few hours or so for 10 minutes. However he is jealous of my laptop and thinks I am stroking it instead of him!

In a few months I will be getting a labrador of my own.. so I will have to see how this affects my daily work routine!

I wish you much joy with you new puppy...
See more
She is absolutely adorable!

I puppy sit for my parents' 9 month old labrador puppy once a week, and most of the time he is good and then we play every few hours or so for 10 minutes. However he is jealous of my laptop and thinks I am stroking it instead of him!

In a few months I will be getting a labrador of my own.. so I will have to see how this affects my daily work routine!

I wish you much joy with you new puppy
Collapse

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:48
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Lovely puppy! Mar 21, 2011

Congrats!

I was a great idea! I'm sure you will enjoy its company!

Martin Stranak
Martin Stranak  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Beauty :-) Mar 22, 2011

Since I work from home as a freelance translator, I´ve got three yorkies accompanying me

Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
French to English
Translators make great dog owners Mar 23, 2011

Gorgeous puppy!

Please consider adopting a rescue dog from your local shelter. Translators (or anyone who works at home for that matter) make great owners for rescue dogs. It is wonderful to be able to offer a rescue dog a reassuring presence around the clock and the freedom to schedule time out for walks and play. And what you give you get back a hundredfold with a rescue dog.

Living in an apartment is not necessarily a problem. I have two rescue Border Collies and one
... See more
Gorgeous puppy!

Please consider adopting a rescue dog from your local shelter. Translators (or anyone who works at home for that matter) make great owners for rescue dogs. It is wonderful to be able to offer a rescue dog a reassuring presence around the clock and the freedom to schedule time out for walks and play. And what you give you get back a hundredfold with a rescue dog.

Living in an apartment is not necessarily a problem. I have two rescue Border Collies and one of the shelters was against adopting out to someone in an apartment. Because I am always with my dogs and we get in about three hours a day of walks and outdoor play (Border Collies have "special" needs in this respect because they were bred to work) we have ZERO of the kind of problems that cause BCs to end up in shelters in the first place (aggression, destruction, barking due to lack of or the wrong kind of physical and mental activity). I am convinced that they are better off with me in an apartment with lots of attention and outings than in a big yard alone all day while their owners are at work. The shelter agreed and things have worked out great.

So, before you consider buying a puppy from a private individual, breeder, or (horror of horrors) pet store (please don't do this!) take a look at your local shelter. There are so many loving dogs that have ended up behind bars through no fault of their own (divorce, death, moving house, new babies in the family...and general stupidity and irresponsibility on the part of their original owners) that are just waiting for a second chance.

And I am convinced that translators make the BEST dog owners

Here are my two:

http://img715.imageshack.us/flvplayer.swf?f=Mln7

[Edited at 2011-03-23 07:27 GMT]
Collapse

Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
French to English
Keep an eye on her! Mar 23, 2011

Paula Hernández Sambeat wrote:

I recently adopted this puppy:

I might have to come to Spain and dognap her!

Paula Hernández
Paula Hernández
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
hehehe Mar 23, 2011

Sara Freitas-Maltaverne wrote:

I might have to come to Spain and dognap her!

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)
Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
ah Mar 23, 2011

Just see how you feel when she turns, I don't know, one - and starts dating.

I envy you so much.

Please post a few more pictures.

[Edited at 2011-03-23 10:34 GMT]

Louisa Berry
Louisa Berry
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
German to English
More pictures! Mar 23, 2011

I agree we need more pictures of everyone's dogs.. especially when they are as gorgeous as this one

@ Sara - I opened the video of your collies... and my parents' dog whom I am looking after today got very confused as he could hear them but not see them and wanted to play!

I hope in a few months I will be adopting a labrador from a rehoming charity...
See more
I agree we need more pictures of everyone's dogs.. especially when they are as gorgeous as this one

@ Sara - I opened the video of your collies... and my parents' dog whom I am looking after today got very confused as he could hear them but not see them and wanted to play!

I hope in a few months I will be adopting a labrador from a rehoming charity

Louisa
Collapse

Paula Hernández
Paula Hernández
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
There you go Mar 23, 2011

And this one from the first day at home

[Editado a las 2011-03-23 14:12 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

My new companion (a puppy)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »