Thread poster: mbc
mbc
Spain
Local time: 21:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 22, 2004

Hello ProZ,

I have been thinking about preparing for the IoL exam and would like some advice. First off, is it worth sitting the exam? Does having the title mean getting more work? Did you learn a lot while preparing for it or did you simply learn how to pass the exam?

Should I sign up for a prep course here at International House in Barcelona or prepare on my own? Or do you have other suggestions about courses or other methods, etc.?

I look forward to hearing about your experiences...

Many thanks,
Madeline

[Edited at 2004-03-22 11:31]

Direct link Reply with quote

SClelland
Germany
German to English
+ ...
IOL diploma: best ways to prepare Mar 22, 2004

I'm also interested in preparing and taking this exam, from a German to English standpoint though. Would be really grateful for any feedback or past experiences on this.

Cheers
Stu

LuciaC
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:27
English to Italian
+ ...
Search this forum Mar 22, 2004

Hi
I think this subject has been dealt with a few times in the past. If you search the archives you should be able to find valuable information.

You can get hold of past papers (and examiners' reports, I think) by contacting IOL. This seems to me like a good way to start, because you will see what it is about. Attending a course may be a good idea if you have never attended translation classes before.

Good luck
Lucia

Andrew Steel  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
Distance learning course Mar 22, 2004

First off, is it worth sitting the exam? Does having the title mean getting more work? Did you learn a lot while preparing for it or did you simply learn how to pass the exam?

Should I sign up for a prep course here at International House in Barcelona or prepare on my own? Or do you have other suggestions about courses or other methods, etc.?

Madeline,

I would recommend sitting the exam and, depending on how confident you feel, perhaps doing a course as well.

For combinations into English, the Dip.Trans. is one of the most widely recognised qualification and is especially useful for getting work with UK companies.

There is no doubt that it will enhance your CV, though obviously there are a range of factors that determine the amount of work you get.

I did the distance learning course with International House Barcelona over about 9 months and found it very good value for money. Bear in mind that the IoL exams are only held once a year (in January), so you want to pass all three at the first sitting (no easy task).

Learning to pass the exam means learning to produce a high quality translation within a tight deadline, so everything you learn in preparation for the exam will be relevant to your everyday work.

Hope this helps,

Andrew Steel

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Some points in favour of doing the course Mar 22, 2004

Hi Madeline

I did the IOL course through IH BCN, distance version, and have never regretted it. In its favour I would say:

1. you get feedback, which is something you don't get in very specific terms from clients

2. you get some theoretical input, which is quite important

3. the cost of the actual course compared to the cost of the exam is very low, 'juegas' something like 200-300 euros on the exam, so a course costing the same or less is worth it

4. the tutor is excellent

5. as to the value of having the qualification, well, translators are increasingly well qualified, so a qualification like the IOL might swing the balance in your favour (although you may never be quite aware of it)

6. compared to academic studies, the IOL is sound evidence that your work is of 'professional' standard, i.e that you are ready and able to work (I have heard of Master's students failing it, for the obvious reason that you really need to have some experience to do it).

I also investigated doing the distance course with City of London, in the end I chose IH on the basis that its deadlines are a bit less rigid, something that might help the working translator.

Hope that info is of some help:-)

Ailish

[Edited at 2004-03-22 22:53]

mbc
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all Mar 23, 2004

Thank you for your ideas and suggestions.

Madeline

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

IOL diploma: best ways to prepare

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search