Off topic: How do you deal with netiquette on the web?
Thread poster: Chiara Gallese
Chiara Gallese
Chiara Gallese  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 02:44
Japanese to Italian
+ ...
Jun 8, 2011

Since I'm on the web, I have been noticing how bad-mannered and rude people are.
They just don't seem able to reply to a topic in a pacific way.
How do you usually react in this kind of situation?

Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)
Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Sigh and ignore Jun 8, 2011

That is indeed a nuisance. There are forums which can simply not be enjoyed because of the bickering and flaming that's continuously going on.
This problem cannot be solved. Try as you might, you won't be able to convince these people to change.
So, here are a couple of possible ways to deal with it:
- Not visit those forums anymore, if the ratio between worthwile contributions and garbage is too unfavourable.
- Ignore the bad people. If you can, block them. If not, don't
... See more
That is indeed a nuisance. There are forums which can simply not be enjoyed because of the bickering and flaming that's continuously going on.
This problem cannot be solved. Try as you might, you won't be able to convince these people to change.
So, here are a couple of possible ways to deal with it:
- Not visit those forums anymore, if the ratio between worthwile contributions and garbage is too unfavourable.
- Ignore the bad people. If you can, block them. If not, don't reply to them. Never. That's actually a rule: Don't feed the trolls.
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:44
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Rude people... Jun 8, 2011

I find that, usually, people tend to be rude in fora if silly questions/statements are often asked/repeated by one poster. Also, an attitude of "I know everything"/"know-it-all" tends to rub people up the wrong way. You might get the impression that they are being rude, but you need to understand the history and the context of the forum first.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What the h**ll? Jun 8, 2011

What the h**ll are you talking about??

Just joking, just joking! I promise.

To me things are quite simple: when I encounter someone who is plain rude... I ignore him/her. The world is full of rude and careless people, so you cannot really help it or educate people out there.

The only thing normal people* can do to improve this is to be polite and try to communicate with respect and in a meaningful way at all times and in all aspects of life.
<
... See more
What the h**ll are you talking about??

Just joking, just joking! I promise.

To me things are quite simple: when I encounter someone who is plain rude... I ignore him/her. The world is full of rude and careless people, so you cannot really help it or educate people out there.

The only thing normal people* can do to improve this is to be polite and try to communicate with respect and in a meaningful way at all times and in all aspects of life.

* "Normal people" means people like me, of course.
Collapse

Chiara Gallese
Chiara Gallese  Identity Verified
Italy
Japanese to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Respect Jun 8, 2011

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

I find that, usually, people tend to be rude in fora if silly questions/statements are often asked/repeated by one poster. Also, an attitude of "I know everything"/"know-it-all" tends to rub people up the wrong way. You might get the impression that they are being rude, but you need to understand the history and the context of the forum first.

Even in that case, rude replies are not justified in a civil society.

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
Moderators Jun 8, 2011

I have called to a moderator three times when I have seen "ad hominem" comments, and twice the comments were removed. For those who may not realize this, comments aimed at the person, and not the idea, are forbidden on proz. Last week, however, people were attacking a poster's English and the moderator did nothing, even after a note from me. Not only was the comment unkind, it was also off topic, as the poster was not seeking input on his English. However I suggest that everyone who cares about ... See more
I have called to a moderator three times when I have seen "ad hominem" comments, and twice the comments were removed. For those who may not realize this, comments aimed at the person, and not the idea, are forbidden on proz. Last week, however, people were attacking a poster's English and the moderator did nothing, even after a note from me. Not only was the comment unkind, it was also off topic, as the poster was not seeking input on his English. However I suggest that everyone who cares about the tenor of the posts on Proz take the time to scroll down and "call to the moderator" about a particular post. If enough of those of us who care about true civility were to call the moderator when we find posts that are hurtful to others perhaps moderators would realize just how many of us would like the forums to be non-combative. (I would like to add that I often avoid posting questions about my own concerns because I am not wiling to risk being publicly scolded, shamed, or insulted.)Collapse

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 08:44
Chinese to English
What civil society? Jun 8, 2011

Akikorossella said:

But that's the exciting thing about the internet. It's not a civil society. It's often completely unmanaged. You can post almost literally anything on many websites. And the rules for civil conduct are being decided here and now, by people just like us.

In general, good websites attract good people, and good people will develop norms and ways of talki
... See more
Akikorossella said:

But that's the exciting thing about the internet. It's not a civil society. It's often completely unmanaged. You can post almost literally anything on many websites. And the rules for civil conduct are being decided here and now, by people just like us.

In general, good websites attract good people, and good people will develop norms and ways of talking to each other that everyone can accept. But you never know when someone who doesn't know the norms of your website is going to stumble in.
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:44
Member (2004)
English to Italian
No... Jun 8, 2011

Akikorossella wrote:

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

I didn't say they were, if you read my post properly. I was just trying to give reasons (justified or not)/explanations/background.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you deal with netiquette on the web?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »