Thread poster: Maria Luisa Duarte

Maria Luisa Duarte  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:35
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Apr 30, 2004

Hi all,
This coming Sunday we celebrate Mother's Day in Spain and the following is a short discription of its History.

A Happy Day to all the mothers.

MLD

There is no love, like a mother's love,
no stronger bond on earth...
like the precious bond that comes from God,
to a mother, when she gives birth.

A mother's love is forever strong,
never changing for all time...
and when her children need her most,
a mother's love will shine.

God bless these special mothers,
God bless them every one...
for all the tears and heartache,
and for the special work they've done.

When her days on earth are over,
a mother's love lives on...
through many generations,
with God's blessings on each one.

Be thankful for our mothers,
for they love with a higher love...
from the power God has given,
and the strength from up above.

by Jill Lemming

The earliest Mother's Day celebrations can be traced back to the spring celebrations of ancient Greece in honor of Rhea, the Mother of the Gods. During the 1600's, England celebrated a day called "Mothering Sunday". Celebrated on the 4th Sunday of Lent. "Mothering Sunday" honored the mothers of England.
During this time many of the England's poor worked as servants for the wealthy. As most jobs were located far from their homes, the servants would live at the houses of their employers. On Mothering Sunday the servants would have the day off and were encouraged to return home and spend the day with their mothers. A special cake, called the mothering cake, was often brought along to provide a festive touch.

As Christianity spread throughout Europe the celebration changed to honor the "Mother Church" - the spiritual power that gave them life and protected them from harm. Over time the church festival blended with the Mothering Sunday celebration . People began honoring their mothers as well as the church.

In the United States Mother's Day was first suggested in 1872 by Julia Ward Howe (who wrote the words to the Battle hymn of the Republic) as a day dedicated to peace. Ms. Howe would hold organized Mother's Day meetings in Boston, Mass ever year.

In 1907 Ana Jarvis, from Philadelphia, began a campaign to establish a national Mother's Day. Ms. Jarvis persuaded her mother's church in Grafton, West Virginia to celebrate Mother's Day on the second anniversary of her mother's death, the 2nd Sunday of May. By the next year Mother's Day was also celebrated in Philadelphia.

Ms. Jarvis and her supporters began to write to ministers, businessman, and politicians in their quest to establish a national Mother's Day. It was successful as by 1911 Mother's Day was celebrated in almost every state. President Woodrow Wilson, in 1914, made the official announcement proclaiming Mother's Day as a national holiday that was to be held each year on the 2nd Sunday of May.
Mother's Day is a holiday celebrated around the world in many different countries, but not all nations celebrate on the same day.In Spain it is celebrated on the first Sunday of May and in the United States it is always the second Sunday in May. Many other countries such as Denmark, Finland, Italy, Turkey, Australia and Belgium also celebrate Mother's Day on the same day as the United States. England, however, celebrates Mother's Day on the fourth Sunday of Lent, and in Argentina it is the second Sunday in October. International Mother's Day is actually celebrated on May 11.
Star Registry®

Direct link Reply with quote

aneta_xh  Identity Verified
English to Albanian
+ ...
Happy Mother's Day to all mothers Apr 30, 2004

and thank you for this thread. Have a nice day.

Ani

mirta  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 05:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
Happy Mother's Day! May 1, 2004

Though here in Argentina we celebrate it on the third Sunday in October I want to share with you this story which I accidentally found in the Internet. It was written by Erma Bombeck:

When God Made Moms

By the time the Lord made mothers, he was into his sixth day of working overtime. An Angel appeared and said "Why are you spending so much time on this one"? And the Lord answered and said, "Have you seen the spec sheet on her? She has to be completely washable, but not plastic; have 200 movable parts, all replaceable; run on black coffee and leftovers; have a lap that can hold three children at one time and that disappears when she stands up; have a kiss that can cure anything from a scraped knee to a broken heart, and have six pairs of hands."

The Angel was astounded at the requirements for this one. "Six pairs of hands! No Way!" said the Angel.

The Lord replied, "Oh, it's not the hands that are the problem. It's the three pairs of eyes that mothers must have!"

unquote

You can read the whole story at: http://www.angiesrealm.com/mothers-day/poems/

Have a nice day!!

Mirta De Seta
English Spanish translator
Buenos Aires - Argentina
54 11 4 245 7087
http://www.advance.com.ar/usuarios/traducciones/index.html

David Brown  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
Mother's Day May 1, 2004

[quote]Maria Luisa Duarte wrote:

Hi all,
This coming Sunday we celebrate Mother's Day in Spain and the following is a short discription of its History.

When I first came to Spain I remember doing a little research into Mother's Day here and found references to December the 8th for Spain and Portugal. Of course I know it's tomorrow in Spain but do you know anything about this December 8th date?

Sheilann  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
do you know anything about this December 8th date? May 1, 2004

[quote]David Brown wrote:

Maria Luisa Duarte wrote:

Hi all,

When I first came to Spain I remember doing a little research into Mother's Day here and found references to December the 8th for Spain and Portugal. Of course I know it's tomorrow in Spain but do you know anything about this December 8th date?

Sheilann  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
8 December May 1, 2004

All I know is that Mother's Day used to be celebrated on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception during the Franco era. Then, for some reason, it was transferrd to the first Sunday in May, also denominated the Month of Mary in the Catholic Church. Perhaps Galerías or the Corte Inglés had a hand in it, but I'm sure someone else will know exactly why.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mother's Day

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search